Fluval mopani driftwood

AJ34

Well Known
Ok so I bought a piece of zoomed mopani in PetSmart. Got it home soaked in very hot water added to my turtle tank::: released some tannins But no major murkyness... all is good... same time I bought a fluval mopani piece on amazon. I used the same procedure and stuck in a spare fish tank Because I was suspect for some reason though this is first time I’ve used wood in a tank. The water is super brown, smells awful, and started to get slimy after two weeks. It’s not heavy like the zoomed piece and semi floats. Has anyone had experience with the fluval mopani wood? Did amazon send me something that’s not legit. It’s a nice looking piece but I don’t know how to proceed!

!poogs!

Well Known
That’s normal.

It’s legit.

I have bought FLuval mopani in the store and on amazon.

your tank will look like weak tea for months. The white slime with go away too. Fish will eat it and it will just dissolve over time. You can take it out every few days and rinse the white slime off of it and it will speed up the process.

this is pretty common with all mopani. No harm to water quality or fishes.

all is good.

OP
AJ34

AJ34

Well Known
Ok good to know. I did remove it and rinse. Maybe I will just go ahead and soak it some more before adding it to the turtle tank!

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
I've bought both the zoo med and fluval mopani wood online from the Ken's Fish site. Good prices.

I usually boil it repeatedly.

I would boil for 10-20 minutes, dump the water, rinse and repeat the boiling.

I would repeat this cycle 4 or 5 times.

New Threads