Fluval Fx6

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The fluval fx6 canister filter, rated for aquariums up to 1500L (400 US G)

3 out of 5 stars ️️️

3f6026dfee143382e01e357c9463f0e5.jpg
6b4d704c4bd60fc03def2ce2f51c832e.jpg

Ive been running this filter on my well stocked 120 gallon 450L tank since the 8th of may, i chose the fx6 because of how well the smaller 306 has performed for me. This canister is a great size, very quiet and makes light work of filtering my aquarium with its coarse outer sponges and media trays filled with fluval bio max and some of my own stuff, it has ample room to house beneficial bacteria, it has the high quality feel of other fluval products and is super user friendly being self priming/starting.

Downsides to this filter for me are that it is very poor at water polishing no matter how you set it up ( without doing some crazy diy thing) like stupidly ridiculous with how the media baskets are set up compared to the clever design of its smaller counter parts IE the 06 range, this was a big knock for me. Secondly this filter boasts an easy water change system but the hose fitting for the drain/fill plug is 22mm where a garden hose is 13mm, the adapter is not included with the filter. Also when using the easy drain feature the draining stops when the water line reaches the extendable part of the inlet. I also don't like the thought of using the auto fill as your tap waters first point of contact is your filter media, so i chose not to try that part out. Lastly you do not get much bio max media given with your fx6. This filter is not cheap, so i awarded 3 stars because I believe when you pay this much and the company has a rep, you shouldn't be finding issues, let alone this many, but the good parts of this product are good, I'm on the fence..

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grantm91 said:
The fluval fx6 canister filter, rated for aquariums up to 1500L (400 US G)

2 out of 5 stars ️️

View attachment 347508View attachment 347509

Ive been running this filter on my well stocked 120 gallon 450L tank since the 8th of may, i chose the fx6 because of how well the smaller 306 has performed for me. This canister is a great size, very quiet and makes light work of filtering my aquarium with its coarse outer sponges and media trays filled with fluval bio max and some of my own stuff, it has ample room to house beneficial bacteria, it has the high quality feel of other fluval products and is super user friendly being self priming/starting.

Downsides to this filter for me are that it is very poor at water polishing no matter how you set it up ( without doing some crazy diy thing) like stupidly ridiculous with how the media baskets are set up compared to the clever design of its smaller counter parts IE the 06 range, this was a big knock for me. Secondly this filter boasts an easy water change system but the hose fitting for the drain/fill plug is 22mm where a garden hose is 13mm, the adapter is not included with the filter. Also when using the easy drain feature the draining stops when the water line reaches the extendable part of the inlet. I also don't like the thought of using the auto fill as your tap waters first point of contact is your filter media, so i chose not to try that part out. Lastly you do not get much bio max media given with your fx6. This filter is not cheap, so i awarded 3 stars because I believe when you pay this much and the company has a rep, you shouldn't be finding issues, let alone this many, but the good parts of this product are good, I'm on the fence..
Thank you grantm91 --- this gives me a good idea of what to look out for when I start up my tank.
Like I told you, hadn't planned on using the auto fill/drain feature anyways. Too attached to my python and the way I have always done things... you know that saying about "old dogs and new tricks"!
I am curious about the poor water polishing aspect of this filter... I wonder if one could just add a polishing pad to the filter to increase its ability to take out suspended material?
That is definitely disappointing to hear-- its lack of polishing when you spend such a great deal for a filter.

TwoHedWlf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm assuming the FX6 is essentially similar to the FX5 and comes with similar things. Mine came with an extra hose connector for the top. I've just put an adapter on mine to to a hose, turn the filter off, pop the outlet connector off, put the hose one on, switch the filter on. Pumps out nice and quick.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The FX6 is living off the reputation of the other Fluvals! I have 7 of them, and if I had to do it over again I'd have none!

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Discusluv i placed perfectly cut floss in the top and bottom trays and it still has fine particles, i think with the baskets being such a loose fit in the canister micro particles escape easily, the filter is good, bar a sump you ain't getting anything better, nor will you find anything as user friendly made to do such a big job, but for me that was a big let down, il be testing it further and seeing what i can do, as water polishing really is important to me, the water is clear but I'm used to A* crystal, Im going to try over- lapping a floss between the top and middle tray next time i clean the filter. As for the drain/fill they should have just not incorporated it I'm happy now I'm confident with using the hose pipe and mixer tap, and you with your years pf experience are happy with your python thing as i bet a lot of people are. Ive seen people say good things about the auto change system but for me if something like thats not spot on its just a waste and another unnecessary component.

TwoHedWlf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From the instructions, I gather the drain is meant more to drain the water out so you can move it to clean than for water changes. It's not that heavy full of water, it's more trouble than it's worth.

For polishing, it looks like there's a gap underneath the bottom tray, you could probably jam some filter wool under there, and it should guarantee the water goes through the filter wool before being sucked into the pump.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@twoheadwlf youtube it, that plug on the bottom you can use to empty and fill the tank back up, draining it is ok as its done by gravity and works up until the point where the intake splits to be extendable. The fx4 and fx6 are the same i looked in the book reluctantly lol, the fx5 has been dis-continued here and is not in the book of the fx6 and fx4 so i am not familiar with it.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have the FX4 and so far it's been doing well. What I did was that I add a lot of poly-fil somewhere between the baskets and it has done a decent job.

I rarely use the drainage feature. I think to drain the tank it does a good job but shutting it off you still have water stuck in the hose part...rather I use a pond pump to drain my tank.

I'm looking to get a Marineland 120 for a new project...maybe...@discusluv

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I want to try out a seachem tidal 110 for a little suplimental water polishing lol, there aint enough room at the back of my 120 though.

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grantm91 said:
I want to try out a seachem tidal 110 for a little suplimental water polishing lol, there aint enough room at the back of my 120 though.
That tidal does seem like a great little HOB doesn't it?

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes Discusluv i love how the pumps under water and how its got a surface skimmer and its got a good size to it. I never had a hob till i got into salt water and a hob was my best option, after that i seen hobs can be good, the tidal really does look like a great liitle affordable filter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom