Fluval FX6 for 90 gallon tank?

ferrah182

I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new Fluval FX6 at cost. Currently I have a 90 gallon aquarium that is on the last stage of a fishless cycle and almost ready for fish. The filter that is on it currently is an Eheim Pro II. I plan to put African cichlids in this tank My question is would purchasing this Fluval FX6 be WAY overkill on filtration on this tank? I don't think you can over filter, but the FX6 says it can do 563 gallons per hour. I can also get one of any of the other Fluval canister filters at cost as well. Would I be better off going with a Fluval 406 instead?
Thanks!

VWTDI02

I am not all that informed about canister filters but would you be running both of them at the same time or just the FX6? From what I read on here you're supposed to have 5-8 times entire turnover per hour and that FX6 is a bit low but both at the same time would be incredible.

ferrah182

I am not all that informed about canister filters but would you be running both of them at the same time or just the FX6? From what I read on here you're supposed to have 5-8 times entire turnover per hour and that FX6 is a bit low but both at the same time would be incredible.

Yes! I would plan on running both on the 90 gallon

VWTDI02

Yes! I would plan on running both on the 90 gallon

Honestly after doing the math you probably would need the second. At 8 times per hour you need 720 gph and putting the two of them will put you a bit over that which is great.

Redviper

I run two filters totaling about 863GPH on a 125. It's enough, plus. One is an FX6 and it's a great filter. If you can get an FX6, which itself is rated up to a 400g, at cost, you're lucky.

Rivieraneo

Both the fx6 or 406 are great filters, go for it!

hacksgirls

Hello all! I am currently in the process of moving from a 45 to a 125! Woohoo!! I bought a brand new fluval fx6 yesterday. I have watched a ton of YouTube videos on setting the system up but I am having a a hard time finding anything on the best direction for the water outputs. They're adjustable but I'm just not sure of the best placement of the intake and output. Can some of you experts help me out? We are gonna try to put the tank together this evening. Thank you so much for any responses!!

fissh

I will put the intake on one side of the tank and the output on the other side. make sure the intake (strainer) is at least 4 inches above the gravel. I put 1 of the flow nozzels aiming across the tank pointing slightly up so it just starts breaking the surface, and the other one aiming mid water pointing at the far front corner of the tank. That way you have a top current and a mid water current. All tanks are different, and you will find what works best in your tank, but this will give you a starting point.
Harry

fissh

I for got to say don't put the inlet and outlet right in the corner, Put them 8" to 10" from the corner.

hacksgirls

Thank you so much for your responses!!!

ad78

I got the FX4. as soon as I open the box I did claim the free gravel vac. though you pay for shipping cost $12

output nozzle positioning water should create counter clockwise rotation. the other poiting to the strainer and the other one is pointed to front

Joebc

I'm installing my FX4 right now (first cannister filter) and was about to post the same question. Thanks!

Jamieb284

I've just done a water change and also cleaned my filter and when I've put it back together and started it back up, it doesn't seem to be pumping out anything.
Usually a load of bubbles come out of the filter while it's filling back up but nothing!
Both inlet and outlet valve are definitely open.
I've cleaned the pipes out.
I've cleaned the pump.
Any ideas?
Occasionally when it's switched on like 3 bubbles will come out but that's it! Does that every now and then. The pump itself just sounds like it's swishing a bit of water around.

MommaWilde

Hi, I have an F6 too.
Question, when you cleaned the filter did you take the media out and rinse the actual canister?
Mine was having the same problem and doing that fixed it for me. Some sediment had settled in the bottom.
Also when I'm done cleaning mine out I syphon tank water back into it until it's almost full. Then close it up and plug it in.
It does have a re-start period when it clear out bubbles, turns itself off and should restart on its own again.

Jamieb284

No I didn't do that!
I left it dry running (I know that's bad but was worth a try) and kept unplugging it and plugging it back in because it kept kicking out a small amount of bubbles when it restarts and eventually it started going. Next time I'll look into doing as you said, thank you!
It's working for now but I will have to monitor it.

MommaWilde

No I didn't do that!
I left it dry running (I know that's bad but was worth a try) and kept unplugging it and plugging it back in because it kept kicking out a small amount of bubbles when it restarts and eventually it started going. Next time I'll look into doing as you said, thank you!
It's working for now but I will have to monitor it.

Ok, that's good it's working now. But yeah, for next time make sure you refill it at least 3/4 full with either tank water or fresh treated water

Jamieb284

Yeah I shall do, maybe that will prime the pump so it'll get going straight away. Thank you for the tip and your time

MommaWilde

You're very welcome

Bizarro252

I believe also you are supposed to open the valves back up in the order of IN then OUT to not break the siphon in the intake. Just FYI

learybhoy

Has anyone used the fx6 filter ? I've heard it's quite noisy and best going with a cheaper one ?

Tanks and Plants

I use the FX-4 and I don't hear anything. I haven't heard anything about the FX-6 being noisy.
What size tank are you going to use the FX-6 on?

Bizarro252

Also have an FX4 (as Tanks and Plants is WELL aware since we have been talking about it for days lol) but it is DEAD SILENT, I am not kidding, its much quieter than my 306 or either of my Marineland 360s were - even my nice air pumps are louder than it. I would have zero objection to it being in a living room situation even outside of a cupboard - its very quiet.

If I recall correctly the FX6 not only has a more powerful pump but the impeller is of a different design so I am not sure if it will be AS silent, but I have heard very few complaints while doing research on the FX4/FX6. I would have gone with an FX6 if it would have fit

I would recommend trolling on youtube for some video clips and see what people say about the noise, and then you can also hear it yourself.

TwoHedWlf

I think the FX6 uses the same pump as the FX5? I have a secondhand FX5 that's fairly noisy. Not annoyingly, but enough you notice when it switches itself off. But, it sounds a bit like it's a little loose impeller, so might need to be replaced. I haven't bothered though because it's sitting next to my noisy PC, which is across the room from my noisy fridge, which is in the room next to my noisy TV...

Tanks and Plants

The FX-4 uses a regular style impeller but on the bigger size while the FX-5/6 uses these beefed up impellers.

The only time my FX-4 makes noise is when I restart it from a cleaning. You can make that noise almost go away if you fill the filter with water AFTER you close it up. This is what I did..... I got my filter all together, locked it up and then I got a cup and started to pour water down the part that sticks up and filled it until it reached the top. Once it reached the top I put the connectors on and made sure that it was on GOOD! Then I plugged it in and it turned on but was nowhere as noisy, like how it would be if you filled the canister only 3/4's full and with air inside the filter.

I also put food grade silicone oil on all the magnet parts of my impellers and anywhere there is an o-ring

MommaWilde

I have an FX6 and I don't hear it at all.

learybhoy

Thanks for all your input guys the local aquarium shop I got it from the owner has one and he said it was really noisy so come home to my favourite site to see what my fellow fish keepers said about it and you have put my mind at rest thanks

I think the FX6 uses the same pump as the FX5? I have a secondhand FX5 that's fairly noisy. Not annoyingly, but enough you notice when it switches itself off. But, it sounds a bit like it's a little loose impeller, so might need to be replaced. I haven't bothered though because it's sitting next to my noisy PC, which is across the room from my noisy fridge, which is in the room next to my noisy TV...

Lol so funny thanks made me laugh

Cowfish928

I have a Fluvial Fx6 on my 110 gallon, it really isn't that noisy, the humming noise is very very hard to hear, unless you go up to it and try to listen for it. Even if it was noisy, the fact that you can customise your filtration media, and have an abundance amount inside, is amazing. It can hold so much Beneficial Bacteria.

learybhoy

I have a Fluvial Fx6 on my 110 gallon, it really isn't that noisy, the humming noise is very very hard to hear, unless you go up to it and try to listen for it. Even if it was noisy, the fact that you can customise your filtration media, and have an abundance amount inside, is amazing. It can hold so much Beneficial Bacteria.

Thanks cowfish928 appreciate your reply

Acadianer

Hey all, I just got a used FX6 last night. It didn't have any sponge filters or such. What would I need to buy for it for it to be suitable for my Cichlid tank?

So what I found on Amazon was:

Generic Foam Filter Pads Suitable For Fluval FX5/FX6 (Pack of 6): Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

and

Generic Bio-Foam Filter Pads Non-Branded But Suitable For Fluval FX5 / FX6 Filters(Pack of 6): Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

The previous owner gave me socks that he said was for the carbon.

I have the owners manual for it, so I was going to go thru it tonight, but if I can get answer via here quick enough, maybe I'll just order them from Amazon or get them at PetSmart after work today lol.

Thanks in advanced

TexasDomer

I use polyfill (from a craft store), micron felt pads (bought in bulk from Drs. Foster and Smith), and ceramic rings (bought in bulk from Amazon) in my canister filters. The cheap, non-brand name material work just as well as the name brand stuff.

Those links aren't working for me, but they do say generic, so that's good. But they do also say they're specifically made for the FX line, and that might be increasing their price.

Acadianer

I use poly fill (from a craft store), micron felt pads (bought in bulk from Drs. Foster and Smith), and ceramic rings (bought in bulk from Amazon) in my canister filters. The cheap, non-brand name material work just as well as the name brand stuff.

Those links aren't working for me, but they do say generic, so that's good. But they do also say they're specifically made for the FX line, and that might be increasing their price.

Odd, the links aren't working for either, **** lol

So is carbon necessary in these? I know the filter in my AquaTech HOB for my 55 gallon has those blue filters with carbon in them. My Filstar XP doesn't have any carbon in it for my 130g...

So basically,
I don't have A, D and E. Carbon would go in the E bags? Is the D carbon pads enough?
fx6.JPG

TexasDomer

Carbon is never necessary unless you want to remove meds. I don't run carbon in any of my tanks.

You can use polyfill and micron felt to replace A. You don't need D. And you can use the ceramic rings in bags for E.

The blue cartridges in HOB filters are a waste of money, in my opinion. They make money by telling you to replace them, but you shouldn't do that as then you'll be throwing away your good bacteria. Custom media is much better.

Acadianer

Carbon is never necessary unless you want to remove meds. I don't run carbon in any of my tanks.

You can use polyfill and micron felt to replace A. You don't need D. And you can use the ceramic rings in bags for E.

The blue cartridges in HOB filters are a waste of money, in my opinion. They make money by telling you to replace them, but you shouldn't do that as then you'll be throwing away your good bacteria. Custom media is much better.

Well then lol.
So I think I already have ceramic rings in the baskets (if not ceramic, maybe plastic?), so woulds I need more in those little bags or just omit the bags? As far as the polyfill/micron felts, do I just shove as much as I can in those designated areas?

Oh and I see various micron pads, such as 50, 100, 200... confusion once again lol

Thanks in advanced!

Polyester Stuffing , polyetser fibre, polyfil 1 LB bag: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen

Polyester Stuffing , polyetser fibre, polyfil 1 LB bag: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen
why aren't links working lol

TexasDomer

If you already have biomedia (ceramic or plastic rings), you can omit the bags - you don't need to go with their specific biomedia.

And you don't want to overload the baskets with polyfill and felt as that'll reduce the flow. I try to squish a good bit of polyfill in (water can pass easily through this) and then 2-3 layers of felt (this is where the water flow can be reduced).

For the micron pad, it's subjective haha. The smaller the felt, the more it'll trap, but the faster it'll become clogged. I would use something towards the middle of the spectrum.

Jamieson22

Those white pads in first link go around edge of each basket (there are 3). I then have 2 of the black pads in second link in the top basket. I then run a blue pad below the black and then a white polishing pad all in top basket.

Middle basket has 3 bags of biomedia (2 that came with it and another of Seachem Matrix) with poly-fill from craft store on top of it.

Bottom basket has chemical media, I run Purigen and PhosGuard in media bags topped with poly-fill. The very bottom of filter has a carbon impregnated black pad.

Remember, filtering in FX6 runs top to bottom so go coarse to fine as you go down, trapping most of the gunk before it hits bio and chemical.

BTW prices on Amazon.ca seem insane. I linked for reference, don't buy those products as they are overpriced. The generics you linked should all work. To compare prices, check KensFish.com as they have best prices on media.

Acadianer

I'm thinking the $ difference from US to Canada is also in play too. The $ on Amazon.ca is way better than my local PetSmart too.

I might just order everything that should be in there to start. I'll only be hooking it up in a week or so, since my buddy is going to help with a custom plumbing.

I want to PVC pipe the intakes on each corner of the tank, then have outlet in the center shooting out at 45 degrees to basically get two currents that circulate

Bizarro252

I just recently got an FX4, same baskets just one less of them

I would check into this stuff, on amazon its called:
Classic Bonded Filter Roll - 12" by 72" by .75" - Aquarium Prefilter Media Pads Floss - Made In USA
Dr fosters sells stuff just like it too, I just cut it in rounds, basically the same stuff just way cheaper in the long run as those pads. I also have some of the 50 micron polishing pad in bulk but I took it out as it sounded like those that ran it had to change it out often... I run two layers of that blue/white pad and it polished the water up great

CjSmallz330

Greetings everyone, I am currently running a fluval Fx6 canister on my 75 gallon turtle/fish aquarium. I came home today to find my aquarium full of microbubbles and what sounds like air being sucked into the intake hosing. I am guessing that my intake hose has sprung a small leak somewhere and is pulling air into the filter. I have replacement hosing and rubber connectors being delivered in 3 days. My question is will my canister be okay to run like this for 3 days until the replacement parts arrive? I've turned it down to the lowest setting so the microbubbles.have stopped for the most part but I can still hear some sloshing noises in the filter. I don't want to risk damaging anything internal with the filter, but also don't want to lose the bacteria colony that I have worked hard to build and switch back to my small fluval 206. Please help!!

Cody

Really as long as the impeller is staying wet and circulating some water the filter should be safe. Water circulation helps keep the pumps and impellers cool and lubricated in any type of filter. So the only fear would be if you got a big air bubble where it would become air locked.

So as long as you’re moving water I think it’s more of an annoyance to you to have to look at and listen to.

CjSmallz330

Really as long as the impeller is staying wet and circulating some water the filter should be safe. Water circulation helps keep the pumps and impellers cool and lubricated in any type of filter. So the only fear would be if you got a big air bubble where it would become air locked.

So as long as you’re moving water I think it’s more of an annoyance to you to have to look at and listen to.

That just eased my mind tremendously, thank you! Yes it is definetly still circulating water, I have it turned down very low but I can still feel water coming out of the ouput. Definetly an annoyance to hear and look at it - but as long as my aquatic buddies are safe and the filter (which was highly expensive) is safe then I can put up with it for 3 days

Cody

And absolute worst case if it does trend the wrong direction. Just move some of your media over to your 206 canister to run temporarily and just leave the rest of your media soaking in tank water in a bucket. As long as it doesn’t dry out it would be fine! A day or two would not be much to worry about as long as it stays wet.

CjSmallz330

And absolute worst case if it does trend the wrong direction. Just move some of your media over to your 206 canister to run temporarily and just leave the rest of your media soaking in tank water in a bucket. As long as it doesn’t dry out it would be fine! A day or two would not be much to worry about as long as it stays wet.

That's what I was leaning towards doing just to be on the safe side. I planned on moving over what media I could but I would only be able to fit a small amount of what is in the mammoth sized Fx6! I was worried about what to do with the rest of it but with what you just suggested that should work. I wasn't sure if leaving it sit for a few days would cause the bacteria to die, even if it were in tank water.

CjSmallz330

One more question - if I have the water flow turned WAY down like I do right now, will that affect my bacteria colony in any negative way?

Cody

One more question - if I have the water flow turned WAY down like I do right now, will that affect my bacteria colony in any negative way?
Nope, as long as they are getting an ammonia source they will be fine.

Flow obviously affects how fast and how many times your water will be cycled in an hour. But also higher flow=larger filter=more media. So the assumption is that a larger tank will have more fish or larger fish then a small tank (pretty obvious)

So the amount of media is really more relevant than actual flow (to an extent). Because you could put a 1/2in of sponge and 1cup of ceramic media in your FX6 and it’s not going to be much better then most small HOB filters.

That canister is HUGE though so even at reduced flow you’re still getting plenty of turn over through the media. Hope that makes sense!

CjSmallz330

Nope, as long as they are getting an ammonia source they will be fine.

Flow obviously affects how fast and how many times your water will be cycled in an hour. But also higher flow=larger filter=more media. So the assumption is that a larger tank will have more fish or larger fish then a small tank (pretty obvious)

So the amount of media is really more relevant than actual flow (to an extent). Because you could put a 1/2in of sponge and 1cup of ceramic media in your FX6 and it’s not going to be much better then most small HOB.

That canister is HUGE though so even at reduced flow you’re still getting plenty of turn over through the media. Hope that makes sense!

Yes it makes perfect sense, thank you very much for taking the time to help me out today. I went from maximum stress level a few hours ago to now just anxious to get the new parts. You really have helped put my mind at ease, now just have to make it through these next few days. Thanks again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
max h
Replies
Views
Aquatilibus
Replies
Views
radian23
Replies
Views