90 Gallon Tank Fluval fx6 as pre filters

richiep

I'm seeing more and more fx4,5,&6 coming on the market as spares, now I use the fx6 & fx4 on my larger tanks, my question is as anyone uses an old fx canister without the motor running as a pre filter to any of the above.
I would like to fill my fx6 with biohome only and use an old fx4,5,or6 stuffed with sponges,
As anyone tried this ,if so how much reduced water output did you find? Is it feasible? And if anyone as done it do you have photos of the connections as the one end will have rubber and the other will be ribbed,
Any thoughts, ideas will be welcome

86 ssinit

I find with mine the flow was greatly reduced with just adding the bio-home and matrix. Also it’s now 3 yrs old and doesn’t work half as well as new. I’ve already added a wet/dry to help it along. I really don’t think it will work long with just the one motor pulling water through both filters.

richiep

I find with mine the flow was greatly reduced with just adding the bio-home and matrix. Also it’s now 3 yrs old and doesn’t work half as well as new. I’ve already added a wet/dry to help it along. I really don’t think it will work long with just the one motor pulling water through both filters.
Thats what I was afraid of,
So with the water flow reduced is it a new pump at $100 + or a different filter

86 ssinit

How big is yourtank

richiep

This one is 300ltr

86 ssinit

Well any of the fx series should be plenty for your tank. For a pre-filter I use the ATI pre filter.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JymDastardly
  • Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Rye3434
Replies