Fluval fx4 weak flow

Ckline

Hello, I’ve been having problems with my fluval fx4 canister filter in my 75gal. Community tank for about a month or so now. I bought the filter brand new and is probably 11 months old now. From the start of my setup I’ve always used an aquarium coop large pre filter sponge and have had no problems.
4222ADA7-0992-4970-846F-40BB55E8460D.jpegBut now my filter has been losing a lot of flow, having almost none. I first thought this was just because my canister needed to be cleaned, but I do monthly filter cleans and it happens way before its casual time. About a week and a half ago I had lost almost all the flow from my tank so I took the filter out to clean and it wasn't bad at all, so after that I took my tubing out along with the pre filter and sprayed the tubes down with my hose on jet trying to remove any gunk stuck inside along with completely cleaning the pre filter. After installing and turning the filter back on I had regained all my flow and thought that was the last of it until I’d have to clean my filter again. Today I woke up and noticed almost no flow again, so I took the tubing and pre filter out and repeated the same, once again getting my flow back. My question is, why does this keep happening to my filter and its tubing? I don’t think I over feed, And I also dont have much slack in my tubes. there has to be a more permanent solution to cleaning my tubing right? I can’t notice any more algae or gunk inside but if I have to keep cleaning the tubing every week and a half then I’m gonna have a headache. What do ya guys think, thank you
31A3602B-64BB-4590-AF52-256721D326C1.jpeg

Ckline

Could this possibly cause a buildup from where my filter sits? Intake tubing on left, out- on right
image.jpg

kallililly1973

Could there b a snail in your return tube or maybe the main head is wearing out... I’m sure u cleaned the impeller area

Ckline

Could there b a snail in your return tube or maybe the main head is wearing out... I’m sure u cleaned the impeller area
Thanks for your feedback, I don’t believe a snail could get in there through the sponge, and yea I’ve cleaned the impeller before does it need to be replaced after so long?

kallililly1973

As long as none of the blades are broken or cracked it should b fine I think it runs on a magnetic field so if the main unit is worn it won’t spin it consistently... there is a test u can do with a screwdriver... I would search that and test it... I think it will show a weak or dead spot in the motor.

Ckline

As long as none of the blades are broken or cracked it should b fine I think it runs on a magnetic field so if the main unit is worn it won’t spin it consistently... there is a test u can do with a screwdriver... I would search that and test it... I think it will show a weak or dead spot in the motor.
Ok thank you

richiep

Did you ever sort your problem out

Litenup71

I also am having the EXACT same issue!! Same length of time using it, same pre filter sponge, same size tank, everything!
If you ever figured it out I'd love to know so I can try to fix mine too!

richiep

I also am having the EXACT same issue!! Same length of time using it, same pre filter sponge, same size tank, everything!
Croeso welcome to fishlore
Next time you clean.it try leaving the centre tray out just to see if the flow is still restricted, if it is then perhaps you're looking at the motor housing, I'm not sure what's inside but if its breaking down and reducing the impeller function that would reduce the flow.
Just a thought

Ckline

Hello sorry if I’m a little late, from my understanding i think it was caused by the pre filter sponges getting too gunked up and clogged, and after a year or so the bottom was worn out so i ended up replacing it and i think that fixed it. It also might’ve been a mixture of my canister being too packed full of media so i ended up reducing that as well.
Also good to mention i dont use the small center trays that come with the fx4

Litenup71

Hello sorry if I’m a little late, from my understanding i think it was caused by the pre filter sponges getting too gunked up and clogged, and after a year or so the bottom was worn out so i ended up replacing it and i think that fixed it. It also might’ve been a mixture of my canister being too packed full of media so i ended up reducing that as well.

Also good to mention i dont use the small center trays that come with the fx4
Exactly! Pre-filter sponge was too much. Fixed the problem immediately! Thank you!!

Fisch

Exactly my thought and same experience I had with my Fluval 306. After I took out the sponge and re-installed the original intake the problem was resolved for good.

Redviper

I was thinking about a dedicated sponge intake, until this tread made me consider the flow pattern through a stock FX. There's already a butt-load of sponge prefilter before water hits the filtration core.

Islandvic

Ckline , I have a FX4 on a 75g full of dirty CA/SA cichlids, along with an AC70 and AC110.

All three filters use ATI's "Filter Max" pre-filters on the intake tubes w/ coarse foam sponges

The AC70 uses the regular sponge that comes with the Filter Max III.

On the AC110, I swapped the included stock sponge on the pre-filter with ATI's replacement Hydro Sponge 3 Pro that's 4.5" tall 3.75" wide.

The FX4 uses ATI's replacement Hydro Sponge 4 Pro that's 4.5" tall x 4.5" wide.

By using the larger coarse foam sponges, it allows for more flow that doesn't get restricted.

I upsized the foam sponges in the intake because the AC110 and FX4 flowed so much, they would start to get clogged, just like the problem you were having.

Conisder getting an ATI Filter Max III and upgrade the sponge to one of their larger ones.

You won't have the problems with restricted flow.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redviper
Replies
Views
AndyP
Replies
Views
max h
Replies
Views