Fluval FX4 flow - fish struggling

Katie19986

Hello
After reading that you can’t “overfilter” your tank I thought it made sense to buy a very large filter for my 240 litre tank
I’m was super happy with my FX4 until I turned it on and my fish looked like they were swimming away from a draining sink!
I’ve turned the valves down so they are on 6/10 both the inlet and outlet but I keep reading online this isn’t the right thing to do as it burns the motor out
I do however have to ask if these aren’t for this use why are they marked up as 1-10 ….. surely they would just be off and on
Thanks so much !

carsonsgjs

You can’t overfilter but you can have too much flow. A 407 would have been ok on a 240l tank I think but it very much depends on your stock. Have you looked into using a spray bar to diffuse the flow over a greater area?

Fisch

A spraybar is definitely a good option. Otherwise a floating ring at the outlet will break the flow, additional filter floss at the outlet, or some people add a soap dish with suction cups to the wall, add media to the soap dish (rocks, biomedia, filter floss) and let the filter flow cascade into the tank, breaking the current.
There are also different lily pipe shapes that break the current in specific ways.

CMT

I run an FX6 on a 75G. Also had too much flow with the standard outlet. I bought and use this spray bar:

Flow Tamer Spray Bar Kit for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z32XLLV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Works awesome. It probably wouldn't be that difficult to make something like this but the black pvc is harder to find and blends in really well and this comes all ready to use.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sertified
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
NavyChief20
Replies
Views