Fluval flex/smaller fish escaping

Rhianna Brown

I have a fluval flex 15 gallon and if anyone else has one they’ll know what I’m talking about with the design of it.

There’s two intake areas on the left top and bottom and the spots are pretty big so shrimp ir small fish can easily get through into the back chamber of the tank and I did try to cover it before by putting a sponge inside and closeting the cap but it didn’t really work great.

There also s way for them to jump over the back wall into the back chambers I had a fish jump over that dividing wall onto the filter sponge and get trapped.

I wanted to have KuhlI loaches and shrimp but I’m worried there will be issues with them going places they shouldn’t. Any one have experience with this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 101

BlueRamChiclidLover22

Just get fluval filter sponges (I got two for $3 at my lfs and I’ve heard that they fit that filter compartment perfectly. I also want to see a picture of the tank from the front because that plant I saw looked very happy. It looked like an El Ninã fern (correct me if I’m wrong)

Rhianna Brown

Here’s s pic I actually don’t know what it is I thought it was an anubia?

What should I do about the back there’s like a gap all along where the black wall divider is and they could jump it into one of the 3 back chambers ? I had a molly jump in there Once and he landed on the black sponge filter

Do you think a shrimp or kuhlI loach would jump into the back ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 84

BlueRamChiclidLover22

Do you think a shrimp or kuhlI loach would jump into the back ?

Shrimp might but I don’t think a loach. Btw the tank is amazing. Now that I have a front view I think you are right about it being an Anubis. I really am not sure what to say about them jumping over because the tank already has a lid

Rhianna Brown

Thank you! When the lid is on there’s still a gap between the wall so that kinda sucks cause it’s sort of a design flaw but if they do jump it I can get them out of the 2 chambers but just not the sponge chamber.
I need to get a bunch of hiding spots or caves in there now before I get the kuhlis.

BlueRamChiclidLover22

Yeah, I think if you got a patch of hornwort that would help too. Look it up, it grows really fast looks great and when you trim the top off you re-plant it, it will glow. Soon you will have a thick forest. Look at pictures of it. If you don’t want that get some river rocks or something and make lots of cave for the loaches. If you got shrimp they would LOVE hornwort. They can pick algae off of it and hide in it. They may even breed.

DoraCory

Fluval sells intake covers for the 57, you should be able to find them on the fluval/hagen website.
Luckily my 57 shipped with the intake covers, but my puffers are too fat to get through the gaps ha ha, not had any issues with them jumping over into the back either.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
The2dCour
Replies
Views
mrsbrown
Replies
Views
veggieshark
Replies
Views