Fluval Flex Light Goes Into Storm Mode

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Cactus, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Cactus

CactusNew MemberMember

I have a new Fluval Flex 15 gallon tank, which had a fancy remote for the lighting.

The remote has a button that puts the light into a storm mode, wherein it flashes like lightning -- a spectacular effect, but not one that I want to use on a day-to-day basis. So, I chose to have it operate in the normal daytime mode. It works great. Except...

I plugged the light into a timer which turns the power off at night and back on in the morning. When the timer switches the lights on in the morning, the light spontaneously goes into storm mode. I then have to get out the remote and turn off the storm effect. This happens anytime I remove the power from the light and power it up again-- by unplugging the light, via the timer, or via the power strip that supplies the entire system.

I called Fluval and the support person said that my timer is at fault. Can anyone with such a system on a timer let me know what sort of timer you use? It's an irritating problem that I'd like to fix.

2. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

The unit is called an Aquasky. I use a remote on/off switch and it always goes back to the setting that was on it. Not the storm mode!

3. OP
    OP
    Cactus

CactusNew MemberMember

Thanks Fissh!

Problem solved, I think.

I unhooked everything and sat in a chair with a power strip in my lap. I plugged the light directly into the power strip and switched the strip on. The light went into storm, as expected.

Then I set it to moonlight mode and turned the power off and on again. The light stayed in moonlight mode this time.

Then I put the light into white mode and repeated the power cycle with the power switch. Voila! It stayed white.

Then I hooked the light back up with the timer I had and everything is working as it should. The trick seems to have been to cycle the power with each setting.

Of course, that could change...

4. Stephen Snow

Stephen SnowNew MemberMember

Problem Solved.
    I have three Flex tanks.....only one would power cycle to the white light on an analog timer. I tried the above method with no luck.......then for whatever reason I came up with an idea.
    I turned on my colour (RGB) lights (leave them on) with the white light.......then cycled the power......and it works.....now it power cycles to white light the way it should.

5. OP
    OP
    Cactus

CactusNew MemberMember

Excellent! The more we can learn about how to control these lights the better. Now if we could learn how to have them come on with both white and red, or white and blue...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice