Fluval Flex Help

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hello, so I made a decision to go with the fluval 15 gallon fish tank here soon I’ll will be ordering it. But here’s the catch, I want to try my first planted tank with this aquarium. I’ve never done it before, only my 55 gallon Oscar tank. (Which I still have) can anyone help me with these things:
1:what would i need for substrate
2:good starter plants
3:tips and advice

I’ve read a lot of good reviews on the tank, I just want to know how I should go about this and supplies I will need. Thankyou in advance! God bless!

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Iluvfishies said:
Anyone? Haha
Stratum or Flourite are wonderful substrates for planted tanks, and adding some kind of fertilizers or tabs every 5 months or so helps. Good lighting (we added LED's to ours to make it brighter) helps alot too. Co2 is incredibly handy in growing carpeting plants and gets them to grow faster. Easy plants would be maybe green wenthi, java moss, java fern, just about any anubis plant, nana for the 15 would be best, pogostemon, dwarf sagitaria, rotala, macala, ludwegia, etc are really easy and pretty plants to grow. Do you want stocking tips or anything? I hope this helps!

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FriarThomasIII said:
Stratum or Flourite are wonderful substrates for planted tanks, and adding some kind of fertilizers or tabs every 5 months or so helps. Good lighting (we added LED's to ours to make it brighter) helps alot too. Co2 is incredibly handy in growing carpeting plants and gets them to grow faster. Easy plants would be maybe green wenthi, java moss, java fern, just about any anubis plant, nana for the 15 would be best, pogostemon, dwarf sagitaria, rotala, macala, ludwegia, etc are really easy and pretty plants to grow. Do you want stocking tips or anything? I hope this helps!
This help tremendously!!! And yes! Stocking tips Wouk help also! Would the light that comes with the flex be good enough also???

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Some alternative answers:

Sand is cheap and perfectly fine for substrate for low and most medium light plants. Just add root tabs for the root feeders and you're good to go! I like pool filter sand (from any pool store) and black diamond blasting sand (from Tractor Supply) as they're super cheap, pretty, and can hold plants just fine.

Your light is likely good just for low light plants, but there are plenty of options! I would stay away from Pogostemon, not always an easy plant to grow. But Anubias, Java fern, most mosses, dwarf sag, S. repens, and crypts are low light, easy plants.

You do not need to inject CO2 to have a beautifully planted tank. I'd stay away from liquid CO2 substitutes as well - not what it's cracked up to be, and save yourself some money - the plants don't need it.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Iluvfishies said:
This help tremendously!!! And yes! Stocking tips Wouk help also! Would the light that comes with the flex be good enough also???
Stocking options;
Invertebrate only with one cajun dwarf shrimp, 5 amano shrimp and hordes of neocradenia shrimps

3 pea puffers (only if you have snails to feed them)

one betta fish and mystery snails, maybe some corydoras habrosus

apistogramma pair

5 white cloud mountain minnows, 5 neon tetra and 2 mystery snails

Just to name a few. Do you want schools or pairs or single fish?

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FriarThomasIII said:
Stocking options;
Invertebrate only with one cajun dwarf shrimp, 5 amano shrimp and hordes of neocradenia shrimps

3 pea puffers (only if you have snails to feed them)

one betta fish and mystery snails, maybe some corydoras habrosus

apistogramma pair

5 white cloud mountain minnows, 5 neon tetra and 2 mystery snails

Just to name a few. Do you want schools or pairs or single fish?
I imagine it as very green looking, and school fish

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Iluvfishies said:
I imagine it as very green looking, and school fish
Maybe just a school of neon tetra and a school or white cloud mountain minnows (gold or normal) as the fish for the tank and some really green plants like rotala and dwarf sag?

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Iluvfishies said:
Thankyou for the tip. What do you recommend for filter media?
You don't have to be to picky. but I have:

x Ceramic rings
x 2 aqua clear sponges also act as barrier for intake
x Sponge it came with
x poly filter to block intake as well

The pump and hosing line needs to taken apart and cleaned 1-2 times a month as well; mines builds up in no time.

I put the poly fil in the bottom intake and replace it every month, I only do it in case of little shrimplets.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't keep WCMM, neons, Apistos, or cories in this tank due to tank size (tank is a little too short length-wise for those species), but shrimp and some male endlers would be perfect for this tank size and active and beautiful

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anyone here by chance have an alternative idea as to what I can put my seachem purigen in to hold it? I got it in the mail but I didn’t realize/ wasn’t informed it was that fine. I seen the seachem bag, but that seems kinda exapensice, any other options? Or is that it ???

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Tex!!! Have you used the stuff very much? I bought a 500ml bottle, and going to put it in my 406 fluval to replace the carbon. How much should I be using? Lol tbh I was just going to buy a lot xD but I’m not sure what is “right”

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Iluvfishies said:
Thanks Tex!!! Have you used the stuff very much? I bought a 500ml bottle, and going to put it in my 406 fluval to replace the carbon. How much should I be using? Lol tbh I was just going to buy a lot xD but I’m not sure what is “right”
Use a lot. Not buy a lot lol my bad

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And does anyone have a suggestion on where I could find a 90 gallon fish tank?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I haven't used it, sorry. I don't use chemical media unless I'm trying to remove meds, and then I use carbon.

They kinda tell you how much to use here:
Seachem - Purigen

It sounds like a ml per gallon will work for up to 6 months before it needs to be recharged.

For a 90 gal, I would check your LFS and Craigslist, or your local Facebook fish group. I see them often on my local fish group FB page.

Iluvfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
I haven't used it, sorry. I don't use chemical media unless I'm trying to remove meds, and then I use carbon.

They kinda tell you how much to use here:
Seachem - Purigen

It sounds like a ml per gallon will work for up to 6 months before it needs to be recharged.

For a 90 gal, I would check your LFS and Craigslist, or your local Facebook fish group. I see them often on my local fish group FB page.
I got my hands on a 75 gallon I am picking up tomorrow for my Oscar

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom