Fluval Flex 34l

J J Carter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is my 2nd aquarium, I also have a 60l community tank.

I like the Fluval Flex 34l as the false back hides all the equipment. In the back compartments I have, left to right
The airstone means I don't need to used the pump outlets to agitate the surface so much. I find UV essential to reduce bacteria etc in tanks.

My tank came with the clip on covers for where the water goes into the back. I've put filter floss into these and they do a good job on mechanical filtration.

Still to be added is CO2 injection; I also got a 2nd LED strip, although the fitted light is maybe OK for now with undemanding plants.

I don't plant in the substrate as I like to be able to move things about and also do a full gravel vac hence anubias on spider wood and the Nymphaea Rubra is in a pot of Tetra Active substrate. The substrate proper is a black decorative gravel.

Stocking for now is two angels and a female betta, clearly the angels will outgrow this tank soon enough

wp_20180424_18_07_43_rich-2.jpg

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Congrats on the new tank!
I too maintain the 34L flex, one of my favorite aquariums....
What are your plans after the angels? Curious

J J Carter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Added Blyxa Japonica, also painted the two pots black using Krylon paint after researching it was fish safe.

Easter Island head moved from standing at back to fallen in foreground.

Allowed one leaf pad from Nymphaea Rubra to reach the surface, will cut others to increase leaf growth at the base. Growing very quickly!

Not added CO2 yet, Fluval kit soon!

wp_20180428_15_09_21_rich.jpg

J J Carter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Added an Interpet Limited Kids LED Aquarium Lamp to boost the light at the rear of the tank where I have Blyxa Japonica and other plants that could use some more light. It's only 1W and I'll run on a timer for 3 hours a day to simulate noon sun.

wp_20180504_10_52_02_rich.jpg

J J Carter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Moved the Fluval 88g CO2 from my other tank, that's being upgraded to a JBL system.

In the Fluval 34l, found that the CO2 diffuser sits nicely by the pump so the CO2 mist is sucked in and blown into the tank, maximising diffusion while hiding all the tubes in the false back. NB using generic 88g cartridge, much cheaper than Fluval.

Running a conservative 1bps and watching for colour change in JBL CO2 tester.

Also added Nymphoides aquatica at back of tank beside the Blyxa japonica. Nymphaea Rubra growing well and showing good bronze colour

wp_20180512_09_10_59_pro.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom