Fluval flex 34L marine tank setup/help

WRWAquarium

Hi guys/gals

Ive been keeping freshwater for quite a few years now but an opportunity arose for me to pick up this little tank with kit for a saltwater setup. So far I have it sat waiting for eco sand and salt to arrive before I do anything.

. Tank is the 34l flex.
. Standard pump and filter compartments.
. Media I have now is ceramic rings, carbon, floss and coarse foam.
. Bubble magus 2 HOB skimmer. I have customised the lid for this to fit.
. 25w fluval heater suitable for marine or the option for a 100w juwel ipx8 heater. Not sure what would be best? I assume the juwel is marine safe?
. Light is the standard LED that came with the tank I was told by a reef tank keeper these would work for easy corals but after some research I now am thinking maybe not.
. A refractometer lens viewing thing. How important is calibration fluid test?

I will be getting some live rock and a few frags for free to go straight in and also a mandarin fish. I'm not rushing to get the corals or fish in there untill im ready.

I'm hoping some people here may be able to help me with the magus skimmer set up as instructions are confusing me already. So will come to that on setup.

Any help and advice would be amazing :)

ryanr

Hi,
The flex is more of a FW setup.

I would consider removing all the media, and replacing with pieces of live rock. The traditional media will only trap particles resulting in higher nitrate levels, requiring more frequent water changes.

I don't have any experience with Bubble Magus, other than to say, they are highly regarded skimmers. You might need to youtube search for help with that one.

A 25-50W heater should be adequate. 100W is probably overkill.

Lights, from what I can tell would be suitable for low light corals, but anything higher will probably need higher intensity lights.

Calibration fluid is a great help, but generally, you can calibrate against RODI water to get the zero measurement.

Please reconsider the mandarin (dragonet), they are very difficult to keep in captivity. Their (near) exclusive diet of pods is difficult to maintain, and most slowly starve. IMHO, it's one fish that should be left in the ocean, or kept in very large aquariums that can maintain a food source for them.

WRWAquarium

Thank you for your reply.

Yes i have done some research and found out the tank isn't an ideal marine setup. Contrary to what I was told but will be giving it a go as my first salty experience.

Some of my research suggested mechanical media was required as well as live rock?

I have played around with the refractometer without RO water and just rock salt solution and rinse with bottled water and it seems to be working OK. Thanks for that info.

The mandarin fish is a freebie I haven't got to take so will give that some consideration.

Tallen78

Hi,
The flex is more of a FW setup.

I would consider removing all the media, and replacing with pieces of live rock. The traditional media will only trap particles resulting in higher nitrate levels, requiring more frequent water changes.

I don't have any experience with Bubble Magus, other than to say, they are highly regarded skimmers. You might need to youtube search for help with that one.

A 25-50W heater should be adequate. 100W is probably overkill.

Lights, from what I can tell would be suitable for low light corals, but anything higher will probably need higher intensity lights.

Calibration fluid is a great help, but generally, you can calibrate against RODI water to get the zero measurement.

Please reconsider the mandarin (dragonet), they are very difficult to keep in captivity. Their (near) exclusive diet of pods is difficult to maintain, and most slowly starve. IMHO, it's one fish that should be left in the ocean, or kept in very large aquariums that can maintain a food source for them.
I agree the dragonet will require you to have a healthy refugium with a stable colony of pods And with the built in light with that tank your corals may live but not thrive

WRWAquarium

So I have the tank setup now. The dragonette was there for me to take so I am giving it my best shot. He acclimatised well to the new water at 1.025 salinity. 3 pieces of live rock from an established tank sump added at the same time. 2 nassarius snails were given to me too.

I've tested the water at work with salifert and with an API kit at home and it's showing its cycled at 0 NH3 0 N02 and >10 N03. I'm monitoring closely as I'm still such a green horn with marine.

The dragonette is looking really happy and accepting frozen copepods. I can see he's much happier when fed live though.. which I am doing every few days. I can buy these at work allong with RO water at 11 TDS.

I am just tentatively building up the little tank. Skimmate is being steadily produced. Next step will be more live rock. I also want to try a pulsing xena as a first coral. In the future I have plans for upgrades of the light, hood, power heads, filtration.

IMG_20211128_183036.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
J J Carter
Replies
Views
PNWAquatics
Replies