Fluval Flex 15g 15 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by HappyFishHome, Jun 25, 2018.

1. H

HappyFishHome New Member Member

Hi, there is so much conflicting information out that I thought I’d check before I make a mistake, I’ve cycled my planted (java fern, xmass moss, tropica Sword and Monte Carlo, dwarf Japanese hair grass) fluval flex 15g fishless method (supplied filter plus extra foam and ceramic tubes) and 45 days later it’s processing 3-4ppm ammonia to nitrate in 12hrs and so I am ready to introduce fish using the aqadvisor website calculator i was going to add :
    10 ember tetra
    10 cherry shrimp
    2 oto catfish
    I was going to give the aquarium 2-3 weeks between adding each fish type starting with the ember tetra making sure everything settled with no ammonia or nitrite spikes. According to the calculator it’s about 70% stocked but I was thinking that with that fish load it would be about my max I’d put in.

That sound ok ?
    Thanks !

2. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

3-4ppm is actually a lot of ammonia processing, so you're more than ready to add right now, if you wanted to. Why wait? You could even double up the Embers to 15. However, I would wait a month before adding the shrimp, and then another to add the otos, just so they have something natural to graze on.

Someone here may tell you to up the otos to 6, but you don't need to from my experience.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the tank?

4. OP
    OP
    H

Dimensions: 16" W x 15" D x 15" H (41 x 39 x 39 cm)

5. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

I LOVE the Flex 15 (and the 9) I think they're like my all time favorite small tanks.
    They are a little short on ground space cause they're cubes but for your fish that isn't a big issue.

I would agree the Octos need to go in last, they are finiky about water. Also you should get 6 of them. They like to shoal. And they won't hurt you cherry shrimp.

I would leave the tetra's at 10 for now, increase the octos to 6 and... if you have good moss and stuff the shrimp will go from 10 to 20 in no time.

6. OP
    OP
    H

Thanks for the feedback! I love the flex as well great small but not tiny tank !

I think I’ll leave the embers at 10 for now but I will increase the oto’s to 4 so the have more company, might increase to 6 in a few months once I see how the tank works just worried they wouldn’t have enough natural feed with 6 in that size tank. I will give it 1-2 month before adding the first 4 oto’s, that will make the tank 3-4 months old in total, it already has a decent covering of bio film and some algae just starting from 45 days of cycling the tank so far lol

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would definitely suggest adding more than just 2 otos, more is better. I'd do 8.

8. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

That was pretty much why I suggested that. The food my oto gets is 95 percent of the time from naturally growing algae and biofilm. The rest of it is left over foods that the other fish may have missed. You add too many, and you may have to supplement feed them. If you had a larger tank, then obviously the numbers will be less of a concern. Too many people buy too many otos, and I suspect many die from simple starvation. Otos need to learn to eat veggies and other foods us humans give them because they're likely wild caught. They sure don't eat spinach and cucumber in the wild.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice