Fluval Flex 15/Fluval E100 Heater

Cole23

I’ve been fishless cycling my aquarium for about 3 weeks now. I did roughly a 75% water change today because my nitrates were extremely high and my pH was dropping. Anyway I have a 15 gallon Fluval Flex, everyone on fish lore recommended I get a 50 watt heater, as did the Fluval customer service team, they recommended getting the M50 watt heater I believe. But I didn’t listen and I got a Fluval E100 watt heater. My house stays fairly cold, usually around 67 or 68 degrees. So I thought since the E100 heater was double the wattage and overall a better heater than the M50, I would be fine. I’ve read that raising the temperature during cycling can speed things up, and a higher temperature is also useful for treating ick. I have had my Fluval E100 heater set on 85 degrees the entire duration of the fishless cycle, yet my water has never been above 80.5 degrees. I checked the temperature with the heater’s built in thermometer, a glass thermometer, and a digital thermometer, all 3 showed my temperature below 81 degrees. My question is, will having a heater that can’t get me past 80.5 degrees cause problems in the future? The next size up on the Fluval E series heater is too tall to fit in my tank. Should I get another smaller heater to put in with my E100? Or should I just not be worried about it? All the fish I plan on keeping will be fine in 80 degree water or less, I just didn’t know if I should do something about this. Thanks!

Lolorang8

I have had aqua one heaters for ages and they've been reasonably good, i think only one was faulty after a while. I can't say anything about the fluval heaters except that there alot more expensive but i found out that price tags is pretty meaningless with heaters. If it works that heater would be fine but if it malfunctions it shouldn't be too much of issue and u will usually see some heavy fluctuations in temp. fish seem pretty adaptable to that even though it is far from ideal. I would consider your house quite warm and you don't need a big heater like that if your house is like that year long.

Upvote 0

WrenFeenix

If your heater shows 85F, but your water is actually 81F, the heater might be defective. I have the same heater for a 10 gallon, set to 78.5 F. I keep my tanks in my basement, which is very cold at 65F. The E-100 heater has no trouble maintaining temp.
Did you place it at an angle or horizontally? Sometimes if positioned vertically, the rising heat can make the heater think the tank is warmer than it actually is. Otherwise, the heater is defective and you can get a replacement under the warranty.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• PlethoraofPleco
  • Heater
Replies
Views
PlethoraofPleco
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views