Fluval Flex 15 and Plants?

MisterSnuffles

Hey everyone. So im thinking of getting a fluval flex 15 with a stocking of a betta and down the line some amanos, a nerite, and maybe some pygmy corys. This time around, I would love to do a planted tank. Now I have never done plants before besides duckweed and Christmas moss. Both of which went well. However, I am a bit concerned about the light. From what I have heard, its not that bad with low to medium light plants. I was thinking of having simple beginner plants and maybe salvinia. But I want to know if you guys have experiences or suggestions. I have a finnex light I used on my old ten gallon. Its still working. But idk how to mod the tank since it had a lid. Idk if id even need to. I dont want crazy plants woth high light and maintenance.

Any plant, substrate, fert, or light suggestions?

MacZ

Whatever some scapers, store clerks or the adverts want to tell you:
Plants just need any light, and the standard lights in tank kits are usually enough for some easy low- to mid-light plants, so don't worry about that. Just don't get any plants that need high tech equipment.

There are a lot fool proof and easy plants that need nothing but water and any light:
Anubias and Microsorum are examples for plants you just bind, glue or wedge on wood or rocks. Furthermore easy, because they can be left floating: Elodea, Egeria, Hydrocotyle (only leucocephala) and Ceratophyllum. You can top that off with a small species of Nymphea. Done.

Substrate: Sand (grain size 0.5-1.0mm, 3-4cm layer) is enough.

Fertilizers: Depends completely on your water. Look up your levels for iron, nitrates, phosphate and potassium in your water provider's water analysis. You should be able to find that on their website. Unless there is any deficiancy you won't need any fertilizers.

Very important: For what you are planning you don't need CO2. There is always some dissolved in the water and that usually is enough.

Be aware that when you push one factor (light, nutrients, CO2) this changes the demand for the others. So if you push the lights, demand for nutrients and CO2 rises, if you add more nutrients you might have to turn up the lights and CO2.

You should try and only even out real deficiencies and otherwise balance out the demands as good as you can starting from the lights you have.

Upvote 0

Edsland

This is my flex 15 , this picture was taken a month ago, now everything has grown in a lot more. No CO2 just 8 hours of stock light which I have on 4 hours then a 3 hour pause then another 4 hours on. I run my lights with a Kasa timer so I can have the pause during the day.

Attachments

• 4AA3BB1E-D91C-48B9-B1FF-1C1E80C52603.jpeg
    4AA3BB1E-D91C-48B9-B1FF-1C1E80C52603.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

dcutl002

Well, it sounds like you have some good suggestions already, but I just thought I would add a few more suggestions for plants, fert, substrate, and light.
Plant: List of low light plants to try:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...67-excellent-list-plants-low-light-tanks.html
Substrate: It really depends on how much that you want to spend. Obviously, Aquasoil would be best, but you can also use fine gravel (about the size of a BB), or pool filter sand.
Fert: https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-NPK-A...0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==&tag=fishlore-20
Light: I think that your light is okay.

Upvote 0

MisterSnuffles

Thank you all for your help! I think I will just keep the light then. Has anyone tried/know any easy carpeting plants that may work well? I like monte carlo but not sure if its the best choice.
Substrate: Sand (grain size 0.5-1.0mm, 3-4cm layer) is enough.
I have never really used sand before, so for a WC with plants, do I just swivel it around the substrate? And do I really have to worry about those toxic air bubbles?

Upvote 0

Edsland

Carpet plants use moderate to high lights and would be tough with the stock light. I have sand type substrate and I just bury the roots by pushing them into the sand. Toxic bubbles I believe are only a problem if you have really deep sand with dead spot. Mine is only a inch or so deep.

Upvote 0

MisterSnuffles

Carpet plants use moderate to high lights and would be tough with the stock light.
Ah well that sucks lol. If only there were lowlight carpeters.
I have sand type substrate and I just bury the roots by pushing them into the sand. Toxic bubbles I believe are only a problem if you have really deep sand with dead spot. Mine is only a inch or so deep.
Oh ok I see. Yea I plan to have this tank pretty densely planted. I like that jungly look so I’ll make sure not to leave dead spots. Tysm!

Upvote 0

StarGirl

The lights are pretty good in the Flex tanks. I have Pearlweed, red tiger lotus and ludwegia repens doing very well.
This is my 9 flex.

20220704_153238.jpg
You may need to baffle the outflows for a betta though. My Littles don't like the heavy flow either.

Upvote 0

MisterSnuffles

The lights are pretty good in the Flex tanks. I have Pearlweed, red tiger lotus and ludwegia repens doing very well.
This is my 9 flex.

20220704_153238.jpg
You may need to baffle the outflows for a betta though. My Littles don't like the heavy flow either.
Oh wow that is so cool! Seems it can grow pretty well. Thanks!

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Oh wow that is so cool! Seems it can grow pretty well. Thanks!
Actually my RGB stopped working and this is just the white lights. Havent gotten around to ordering another light yet. :cool:

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
betchern0t
Replies
Views
wtusa1783
  • Question
Replies
Views
GooglePlusBetta