Fluval Evo 13.5 build

emersongalicia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
After taking a break from freshwater I’m diving into the saltwater scene! Starting with a small but respectable Fluval Evo 13.5 - more to come on filtration upgrades. But in the meantime I had a custom stand built and have my sand and rock ready. Picking up some saltwater from my LFS this weekend and I will start the cycling process...thinking 4-6 weeks, not in any rush.

Attachments

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the salty side! Everything looks great so far! :)

Austinp

Reaction score
Guy at my LFS told about some stuff that instantly jump starts your cycle so there is no wait time. Im hoping to have my 180 up and running by this weekend so I’m gonna check it out. I’ll let you know how it works

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Austinp said:
Guy at my LFS told about some stuff that instantly jump starts your cycle so there is no wait time. Im hoping to have my 180 up and running by this weekend so I’m gonna check it out. I’ll let you know how it works
Awesome! Not all bacteria additives are made equal and not always effective so just be sure to double check with a test kit to be sure. I added bottled bacteria with my first tank and used live rock but till had to wait 4 weeks to add live stock. Saw the standard rising and falling of ammonia and nitrites and all, much to my dismay lol.

The old saying “Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank” holds true for the most part. ;)

emersongalicia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will be using live rock, sand with beneficial bacteria and possible a “turbo” start - but will still wait 4 weeks. I’ve always thought of keeping an aquarium as a marathon, not a sprint - I am treading very carefully with saltwater because there are so much more parameters to consider and because in a nano aquarium fluctuations can be extremely severe - or so I’ve been told.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
emersongalicia said:
I will be using live rock, sand with beneficial bacteria and possible a “turbo” start - but will still wait 4 weeks. I’ve always thought of keeping an aquarium as a marathon, not a sprint - I am treading very carefully with saltwater because there are so much more parameters to consider and because in a nano aquarium fluctuations can be extremely severe - or so I’ve been told.
You’ve been informed correctly about fluctuations. Sounds like you’ve got your head right and will be just fine. :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom