Fluval Edge? Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SuperK, Apr 26, 2017.

1. SuperKWell Known MemberMember

Okay so after an agreement with my dad I was told I could get another tank. MTS was hitting me hard haha. So I was thinking, are fluval edges any good? They seem like a pain to maintenance. At the same time they're so pretty. Can only get a 6 gal one, don't know if the bigger ones are any different.

If you have any other suggestions for small tanks that are good then bring em my way! I live in the UK, so I can't buy say, an American tank obviously.

(Also random small question, it's alright to add substrate and such after cycling right? I won't have much money left after I buy the tank, but cycling will obviously give me a time span in which I can save some up. I'm sure it is but I don't wanna mess it up lol.)

2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

It would be fine as long as you have the correct stocking.

3. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

They are pretty but they give up a lot of flexibility and make cleaning more complicated due to a small opening on the top. Personally, I have the Fluval Spec V and like it. But the Fluval Flex looks nice. The ehiem 6 is also very nice thought not all in one. I am building an old Fluval Ebi / Flora this weekend and plan on having a wonderful tank.

Just my random thoughts...

4. SuperKWell Known MemberMember

The flex seems like a valid option, only £100 which is my budget for a tank. I like the spec too. Hmmm... I'll see what others have to say but I'll keep both in mind, thanks :)

5. arvind2205Valued MemberMember

If you're looking at the Fluval Edge 6G, I would recommend getting the 5 gallon Fluval Chi 2 instead. The form factor is much easier to maintain and it's still very pleasing to the eye. And it will end up cheaper :) If 12G the Fluval Flex looks very nice. Just my 2 cents :)

6. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

The only complaint I've seen on them is the maintenance and from what I can tell it looks like a nightmare to deal with. I agree it looks awesome, kinda like those infinity pools, but cleaning it would be a headache. I plan on getting the Spec V myself after ruling out the Edge, so my vote is no.

7. SuperKWell Known MemberMember

I've seen fluval chis before, they're super cute. Either going with flex, spec or chi. Augh so many decisions, they're all so nice. The chi is kinda more desktop-y tho which I like. I could put it on mine and not worry about it breaking my desk.

I wanted to add that my stocking is going to be a betta, maybe some shrimp. If I went with a 4gal chi would that be overstocked? I kinda feel bad giving my other betta 12 gallons while giving another one four... I feel like he'd get jealous lol. The chi is mega cheap though (or should I say chi-p) so maybe that might be better money-wise.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  8. PartiTimeNew MemberMember

So I'm a Fluval nerd.

I've got 2 of the Fluval Chi with bettas in them. They're a pretty okay tank for betta, but I do have some caveats for you. A very long finned betta will not use the whole of the space, preferring to float in the upper 1/3 of the tank. Long fins can get suctioned to the filter if your fish is a dingdong and floats onto it like mine does. The flow from the filter is not changeable. If your fish is funny about that, you're going to be disappointed. It also breaks up the lovely bubblenests your fishy spends so much time building for you. 2 more considerations are noise (the Chi doubles as a water fountain!) and the speed of evaporation (it's a lot....I have to add water every 3 days...and since I'm there....might as well do a PWC, amirite?)

Fluval Edge is not a great betta tank because it lacks surface area for bubble nest building, surface breathing, and ludicrous "Teehee I'm pretending to be dead so that you panic" floating.

Fluval Flex and Fluval Spec will BOTH require modification to house bettas and shrimp, but they will do so! First, buy a pre-filtersponge for the filter output. They're the same in both tanks, it's too "streamy" for most bettas and makes a current they don't love. Second modification is specific to shrimp, you're going to need to barrier or seal the intake slits on the bottom. I did this by cutting a USB plug in half longways with an X-acto knife and pushing them into the slits. This gives me the ability to "un-mod" later if I decide to keep something else. Other people like to use aquarium silicone or a fine mesh sponge, you do you.

Final recommendation is to consider your betta. A plakat is going to be fine in all but the Edge without modification. A doubletail with heavy finnage isn't. So you'll need to adjust based on your own needs. :)

9. arvind2205Valued MemberMember

The Fluval Chi is only available 5G afaik - I have the lone betta in mine, but I am sure having a betta and shrimp should be no problem! I think the majority of folks would agree with the 5 gallon for a betta with some shrimp is perfectly fine! I love the fountain on top, it's a soothing waterfall-y sound and you can add some filter media on top if you want, and cover it with rocks. I've found adding the rocks/filter media makes the flow very comfortable for my betta, his bubble nests are never disturbed and I have some water lettuce that actually stays in once place.

10. PartiTimeNew MemberMember

On Fluval's website, it has three sizes.   <-- is the 6.6 gallon

However, I've only seen the 5 gallon available in stores where I am the last year. They did make some significant improvements to the Chi (fountain cover, a cover for the aquarium itself, etc) so maybe it got phased out when they did that? I'm speculating, of course.

11. SuperKWell Known MemberMember

I have a friend with shrimp in a Chi with no issues as far as I can see. I've heard the issue with the flex can be resolved by positioning the output upwards slightly.

Maybe I'll go with the chi, someone above said the flow issue can be fixed with some rocks and such. It's also a really cute tank.

12. arvind2205Valued MemberMember

Oh, that's interesting - it looks like the Chi 1 had 2 sizes, 5 and 6.6  . However I've never seen the Chi1 in stores in the last year and I don't think it's on Amazon. The one I have is the Chi 2 - it has the fountain cover and aquarium cover you mention, like you said it seems to have been phased out :)

Also now I understand the flow concern - the Chi 1 did not have the fountain cover, having the fountain cover really dampens the noise and the flow. When I take off the fountain cover to clean the rocks the flow is more turbulent for sure. Chi 2 would be the better option for bettas for sure.

13. PartiTimeNew MemberMember

The Chi is just a a really great tank, imo. Shrimp will be just fine in them with no issues. :) With the new fountain cover they included with mine, I've not had flow issues for the fish I choose to keep in them. It's a really, really classy and distinctive looking tank and it's SO SO easy to maintain. The central box that holds the filter and lighting just slips right off and you have 360 degree access to clean the glass! :D I've even found the lighting in it sufficient for some of the low light plants.

The Flex positioning only works if your betta's finnage/current preference works with it. I have one betta that has an absolute breakdown over a surface ripple, and another one that is convinced he should take up surfing...so you milage may vary. Be attuned to the needs of your fish, and a $3 pre-filter sponge that houses beneficial bacteria as a bonus won't be too drastic a modification. :D

14. arvind2205Valued MemberMember

Here's a photo of my tank, maybe it will help you decide one way or another :) Not too fancy.

Attached Files:

15. SuperKWell Known MemberMember

The 2 is actually the only one they have here so I'll go with that!! Thanks everyone!! It's also much cheaper than the others which is good :) It's 19 L so around 5gal

16. PartiTimeNew MemberMember

They also used to have a bottom "decor basket" and lots of addon options for decor and backgrounds. Tempted to try getting my grubby paws on an older model!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice