Fluval Edge Questions

1. mitch1007 Initiate Member

Hi everyone.

My partner and I have had a fluval edge for a number of years however, after a hiatus, we are only on our second round of fish. We set up the tank about 3 weeks ago, left it fish free for about a week whilst letting the supplied additives do their thing. We then added 2 moss halls and 2 bunches of weeds. At the same time we purchased a loach and a comet. After leaving them for a week, we then went out and purchased 5 small mix danios and 2 large silver danios. Pets at home seemed to have no issue with this so we thought happy days and went about enjoying watching our fish. Then yesterday, we noticed our comet was becoming very lethargic, parking itself on the weeds in the back corner with its back fin down. We thought it was trying to avoid the danios but, having watched it this morning, im worried its on its way to fishy heaven. Having read posts on here, im now worried that a) our water quality is iffy but I haven't had a chance to test it and b) our tank is horribly overcrowded. We thought coldwater would be the easiest option for relative newbees, although obviously not! We would be extremely grateful for any assistance you can offer as I really don't want my comet to die...its one of the family :( thanks again.

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I'm sorry to have to tell you that you have many problems.

My first bit of advice would be for you to read up on the nitrogen cycle (the words should be a link and clicking will take you to an article about it).

I feel very confident that your goldfish is suffering the effects of ammonia posioning. I can say I feel reasonably certain your ammonia levels are sky high, between being overstocked and having a goldfish which is a huge waster producer. (If you don't understand this now, you should after reading up on the nitrogen cycle.)

The second thing is none of the fish you have are appropriate for that size tank (I'm assuming 5 or 6 gallons). Comets get hugh (about a foot long or so) and need a much larger tank (or preferably a pond).

Also, I don't know what type of Loach you have, but I don't think there are any that can live in a tank that small.

Additionally, Danio's are very active fish and should be in a 20 gallon tank or larger.

Sorry that it is all bad news, but don't feel bad, you are just one of many who has gotten horrible information from the fish store.

Good luck and feel free to ask any additional questions.