Fluval Edge Co2

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by williampp, Apr 22, 2018.

1. williamppNew MemberMember

Hi all, I've recently setup a new Fluval Edge 23l, currently looking into Co2 for this tank. Currently dosing florish and florish excel, i feel my HC and monte carlo with grow a lot better with a pressurised system.

Looking at either the fluval 88g system or the tropica nano Co2, failing that a DIY paintball/sodastream setup.

Any advice on either would be great!

Cheers

2. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

From a cost perspective, I would just start with paintball instead of fluval. That's what I'm running now. excel works well, also keeps algae down, but shrimp don't like it much and val plants don't either. For such a small tank, I would stick with Excel for now since you already have it and see how they do. My plants did really well with Excel (my vals died however). But I bought amano shimp, so I ditched it.

3. williamppNew MemberMember

I'm planning on sticking with Excel for a while, but am looking at getting some shrimps once my rasboras have settled in and the plants are well bedded. Just feel that my HC is gonna struggle to carpet without co2 injection.

Got a rough cost on a Paintball co2 kit? Co2 is completed new to me as I've never done a high tech planted tank before.

4. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

The tank itself is around $20 as I recall.. a refill is $3 and lasts me almost a month on my 54g. Smaller tanks will last longer. I'm using a $40 regulator and a $30 reactor on my canister to get full dissolve of the co2. If you aren't running a canister, you'll need to use an in-tank diffuser, which are pretty cheap. You'll want a regulator with an electric solenoid valve so you can have it shut-off at night with a timer. You'll only want to run it while lights are on... 6-10 hours a day depending on algae, etc.

You'll need a bubble counter and drop checker also.. both under $10.

5. williamppNew MemberMember

Gonna have to spend some time ordering in parts and getting the right stuff. Cheers!

6. KeeperOfASilentWorldWell Known MemberMember

7. J J CarterValued MemberMember

I'm going to use the Fluval 88g in my Edge 34l tank, after upgrading the CO2 in my 60l tank to a JBL ProFlora and moving the Fluval. I may get an adaptor for the Fluval to use cheaper CO2 bottles, but for now am using 88g cartridges sold to airgun folks - much cheaper than Fluval!

Also going to run an airstone, I fear asphyxiating the fish unless there's good gas exchange when injecting CO2.

I don't find adjusting the Fluval a problem, even though it has a simple regulator, just start it off as soon as possible in the morning.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  8. williamppNew MemberMember

I was looking at the fluval 88 for my edge, but didnt like the idea of having to turn it on every morning. My work hours vary a lot so was looking for a system with a solenoid. Thinking the co2supermarket nano kit. Slightly more expensive to start with but comes with a solenoid.

Let me know your opinions on the fluval!

9. KeeperOfASilentWorldWell Known MemberMember

Take a look at the CO2Art regulators.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice