Fluval Edge 6 gal stocking

1. Phil1078 Member Member

Hello,

I am thinking of buying the Fluval Edge 6gal with the new LED lights. I want to do a freshwater planted aquarium. Sparkling gouramis are a favorite fish of mine, so I am thinking two (preferably a male and female if I can manage it). Then I want to do some small shrimp (like cherry shrimp) and snails. My question is how many cherry shrimp and snails do you think I can house with the gouramis? Do you think I should try adding any other fish? I want to keep things "Asian" at least, but I am not going for a perfect biotope. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

PS If you have a FLuval Edge, please comment on your experience with it, as I have not bought the tank yet. I would like some opinions!

2. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I dont own one, played w/ in store. Opening is so small and light gets hot. I cant imagine trimming plants would be easy. Yes, they are very pretty tanks, but worth the $$? I guess that's the owner's choice.

3. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

It is a pretty tank, but I'm not sure I would get it because of the extra maintenance.

What kind of snails were you thinking? I know that mystery snails don't work in small tanks. So, the number of snails/shrimp you would be able to house would depend on the kinds that you wanted to get :)

4. Phil1078 Member Member

No mystery snails. The largest I would go would be a rabbit snail or two, but that may be too big. Probably nerites. I am not sure if I would do an trumpet snails. I know most people hate them, but I have found them to be fine if you do not cause excess waste in terms of food or dead plants. They tend to stay at small numbers, and they are good for the substrate IMO.

What is the extra maintenance you are referring to on the fluval edge?

Do you think two Trichopsis pumila are fine? Should I venture to one more fish? If so, what would be a good, small solitary fish?

5. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I guess it's not extra maintenance, just added difficulty trying to get around (when you're rearanging, gravel vaccuming...etc). That is- if we're thinking about the same tank! lol