Fluval Edge 12 Gal And Shrimp/snails

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by BettaCrew, Aug 4, 2017.

1. BettaCrew

BettaCrew New Member Member

Hello. Would a Fluval Edge 12 gallon be suitable for breeding shrimp and having maybe two snails. I'm looking for the Sleek design like the Fluval Edge but I've been told that the 6 gallon is too small. I'm in need of some advice.

Thanks!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

12 gallons would be fine for small shrimp.
    What type of snail were you looking at having?

3. OP
    OP
    BettaCrew

I was going to put some shrimp, a mystery snail, and a golden rabbit snail.

I've been researching different shrimp types. I'm wanting them to breed so that way I can hopefully sell some. I'm noticing that some shrimp are extremely hard to breed. Which types of shrimp would be best for me. I like the green shrimp but apparently those are one of the most difficult to breed?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2017
  4. BottomDweller

Most of the shrimp that are hard to breed need brackish water for their larvae. These shrimp include amano shrimp, bamboo shrimp, some types of ghost shrimp and others.
    Easily bred shrimp are neocardinia (red cherry shrimp and colour variants) and cardinia shrimp (crystal red shrimp and colour variants).

You could get some green neos which are easy to breed. They like hard alkaline water.

Make sure the water temperature is around 80f for the rabbit snails though the shrimp would do best in cooler water.

5. OP
    OP
    BettaCrew

Could I basically raise any of these on this page? If I put more than one kind of shrimp in the tank, what would prevent interbreeding?

If I ended up with more snails, what would my limit be?

Definitely decided (only if they breed true to color)

Green Jade Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi)

These will not breed with green jade? (Only choosing one kind from this list)

Blue Bolt Shrimp (Caridina cantonensis var. “Blue Bolt”)
    Neon Yellow Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi)
    Sakura Fire Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi)

These will interbreed with green jade?

Crystal Red Shrimp (Caridina cantonensis, A-S Grade)
    Orange Sakura Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi)
    Red Rili Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi)

Snails

Golden rabbit (possibly x2- none purchased yet)
    Mystery snail (possibly x2 - I only have 1 now)

6. OP
    OP
    BettaCrew

How do I get my tank to look like this?

Or these?

I know there are a lot of mosses in the first two pictures that much I have been able to figure out through my own research. What I haven't been able to figure out is how to recreate that tree or how to get the Moss carpet to look so tidy and not thrown together in a sloppy way. I like the clean look in clean lines and it's important for me that the design of the aquarium compliments my decor and doesn't look like most of the aquariums in the world.

7. Prism

Prism Well Known Member Member

I like the third one, but with shrimp, you would not even see your shirmp for all the hiding spots. Unless you have a big colorful shrimp, you'll see it. But it will be hard to find others, like ghost shrimp ect.

8. OP
    OP
    BettaCrew

That's definitely something I thought about. I would probably only have one or two of those tall grass things. I'm not even sure what kind of plant it is. I'm looking at putting one of these scapes in a Fluval Edge 12 gallon which will limit the amount of plants I can put in it anyway.

Hopefully you guys can figure out where these other pictures are.

The pictures I'm wanting people to help me with are under the thermometer and timer sections. I can't post a link directly to the individual pictures because they don't have one.

9. BottomDweller

Most of them breed in freshwater but not all.

All neocardinia shrimp will interbreed (doesn't matter what colour they are) and the babies will be drab brown. You cannot prevent it unless they are all one gender.

I would do 1 mystery and 3 rabbits, they are quite large.

They will interbreed with the neon yellows and red cherries, you can tell because they have the same scientific name. They are exactly the same shrimp just different colours

The orange sakura shrimp and the red rilis will interbreed with the green jades.

The shrimp will really like a heavily planted tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice