Fluval Chi

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Saturn, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Saturn

SaturnValued MemberMember

Hi,

I'm just needing a little help on my first planted tank. So basically I have a Fluval Chi and the filter/lighting unit is starting to go out I'm wanting to replace it with a better lighting system and filter. I don't need suggestions on a filter as I already bought one (AC20), but I'm needing help on lighting.

I am wanting a light that can support low - moderate light plants but something that I could use Excel and Comprehensive instead of pressurized and dry ferts (even though dry ferts are cheaper and last longer).

I have a few lights in mind but I have no clue if they would be good enough or not. I'm not too familiar on how rating lighting systems goes as the only thing I know is that it matters on the PAR and not the actual wattage of the bulb.

Here's the ones I have found and have peaked my interest:

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Power-Compact-Lamp/dp/B004QSV8XK/?tag=fishlore-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LIL7YPE/?tag=fishlore-20

Would those be a little too much?
    If so, what about this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMH10HC/?tag=fishlore-20

Also, the tank is 12.3 inches tall but with gravel and how much each clip on hangs from the water, there would probably be 10 - 12 inches of space between the lighting and bottom of the tank (I think)

Any help would be appreciated! thanks :)

2. chrt396

chrt396Well Known MemberMember

I have two Fluval Chi 5 gallon tanks that I have for my two Betta buddies. I ditched the crummy filter/light combo and went with the following. From Petsmart..it clip right onto the side, and the plastic top that comes with the Chi tank fits perfectly around the clip of the light.

It gives a much better light that the stylish Chi light/filter combo. My plants are doing well in both tanks using Excel and Flourish as well as root tabs by Seachem.

I use the Petsmart brand, Topfin 10 as a filter. Works well with a small spray bar that is adjustable for flow.

The pictures turn right side up when you click on them!

IMG_4042.JPGIMG_4043.JPGIMG_4045.JPG

3. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Just wondering what so nice about these tanks if the filters and lights aren't worth keeping?

4. OP
    OP
    Saturn

Awesome! :) no algae issues? How long is your photo period?
    I love that filter!! I had it on my 5.5 gallon betta tank and it was great

I got my tank from a garage sale for $7 so I mean hahaha

5. chrt396

That was my first tank! I originally got into this hobby, when I wandered into a pet store and saw that Fluval Chi tank!. It was stylish and really cool looking! I figured that I would find a way to fit it into my decor at home. 5 months later...I have 10 tanks..and now set up a entire room for their existence.

I changed the filter and light because of this forum. Wanted to grow plants properly and also wanted to have better water parameters. Hence...new light and filter,

IT IS ALL THE FAULT OF THE FOLKS AT FISHLORE THAT I AM NOW OBSESSED WITH AQUATIC CREATURES!!!!!!!.

I have had some algae issues in the past..due partly to my photo period. I usually leave these two Chi 5 1/2 gallon tanks on longer than I should. However...I have found, that an Otto cat per tank keeps things sparkling clean! I have one of the tanks on a timer. It stays on from 10;30 AM to 10:00PM. No problems with Algae on that tank...with an Otto

6. OP
    OP
    Saturn

Woah that's a long photo period. It's usually recommended 6 - 8 hour photo periods and I might start with 8 first to see :) Thanks for all your help.

7. chrt396

It is a long period. Longer than it would be on ANY of my planted tanks..but this little tank seems to hold itself...with the help of my Oto cats. I normally run lights from 11:30 - 9:00. 6 hours is too short of time. 8 is minimal.

Was going to hook up a timer for two different times a day..basically..Nap time", but my lights have a ramp timer on them and it does not work with a standard timer. These are on my 90 and 29g. The Betta tank is on a timer, but it just shuts it off. When the timer hits 10 - 10:30am..it clicks on..but I have to manually touch the light to turn light on.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    Saturn

Ah I see.

So I went out and bought the light you suggested and hooked it up to the tank and I love it! It's so bright and it looked like my plants perked up so after it was one!

The only downside I found about the light is that when I filled my tank all the way to the brim (I hate the look of water levels lower than the rim of the tank) and came back to find that the light was letting water leak out of the tank somehow. I don't know how to explain it but all I had to do was pull the light up some so here was a gap between the glass and where the light sits :)

Also went out and bought a timer and I'm a bit weary about it. I set it up but didnt go of when I wanted it to until I went over to it and tapped it with my finger (kinda like hey wake up) and then the lights shut off so.. We'll see tomorrow morning I guess!

I just realized that this light, even on a timer, still has to be manually turned on.. -.-
    I might take it back now ugh

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  9. chrt396

The timer wont work with that light. Timer will turn it off...but you will need to physically turn it on once the timer clicks over to on.

I really dont know what you mean when you say that the tank leaks. ???? Do you mean that the light bracket allows the water to travel up along the seam and out of the tank? If so...I don't think that has ever happened to me.

10. OP
    OP
    Saturn

Yeah I am going to return it tomorrow because of that flaw.

Yes that's exactly what happened.

So everyone I am back at step one.. Will the lights that I put the links up to work? I need to know fast because I don't want these plants to be without light for long. Suggestions?

11. chrt396

Question...

Did you try and clip the light to where the Chi Filter/light combo was? If so...I didnt do that. I just clipped it to a plain glass edge. No leaks, no drawing water..nothing! I bring my water level to within 1/4"- 3/8" from the top. I dont like seeing the deposits along the edge.

12. OP
    OP
    Saturn

No I clipped it to glass as well.
    I believe I am going to go with the Fluval clip on light :)

13. chrt396

They make some great products! Look good too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice