Fluval Chemical Test Kit always gave me PH of 7.0 - Now API test kit says 7.6

OuiBonjour

Since a long time, my 3 aquarium, as well as my tap water, were tested with the Fluval Test Kit.

PH was 7.0 , which always been great for my Betta and my Goldfishes.

Since my 20 gallon is empty and I planned on adding new fishes soon, I was testing PH in my aquarium today.

When I did the 20 with the Fluval, I got 7.0 but I used the last drops. I had a box of API pH test kit, so I retried it to compare (since they don't use same color).

API test result = pH 7.6

Which one is the right one ? Tested tap water with API, 7.6 too. Both Fluval and and API are not expired. I've used the Fluval master kit to cycle 3 aquariums and results always made sense.

But now if my pH is 7.6 all around, it causes me a few problems. Betta prefers 7.0 but can go a little more acidic. 7.6 does not look good, even though he's in good shape, has nice fins, is active and curious, eats well and makes bubble nests in his planted aquarium. He's not acting strange, does not scratch himself on rocks or swims weirdly. No apparent alga.

The API pH tester came with a PH Upper and PH Downer. Should I use them, or should I just keep the Betta in his 7.6 water since he's been doing great for the last 3-4 months ?

Also, in my 20 gallon, I was intending on putting Khulies, Black Skirts Tetras and a Dwarf Gourami.

But now I check and see on some sites that Black Tetras need 6.8-7.0 , Khuly Loaches 5.5-6.5 and Dwarf Gourami 6.0-6.5 .

Should I start over and choose a new stocking plan ? Or could they all be acclimated to this PH with the dripping method ?

StarGirl

Is it the exact same tap water you have been using all along? If it is they should be fine. I wouldn't use the up and down to change it. The fluctuations are worse for the fish than to try to get the recommended pH. They adjust quite well.

As for why they are so different I haven't a clue. That's strange they are so far off from each other. I have never used the Fluval tests so I don't know how they work.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Yes, same tap water. After I noticed the difference with the API, I went and retested my two other tanks that were at 7.0 a few minutes before. Same tank, different results. I'll keep it the way it is for my actual fishes. They seem real happy.

However I think I should change my stocking plan for my 20. That's a shame 'cause I've been obcessing about finding the perfect stocking for my tastes for the past few months, maniacally reading hours after hours all day all night to find those. Apparently I've only been thinking about this lately.

I guess it's a "Here we go again" **

Upvote 0

StarGirl

So you got 7.0 on the other tanks with the API kit? How have you been "keeping it that way" before? The new tank should have the same water in it. I would suggest getting a new Fluval kit.

Upvote 0

Kitley

I have both kits as I am starting to run out of api. My ph is 7.6 to 7.8 with APi, and clearly more like 7.6 with Fluval. I also have black skirted tetras...they are my favourites and do well.

Upvote 0

-Mak-

7.6 is not very high and the majority of captive bred fish can do well in most pH's

These are hobbyist kits, not professional equipment, and are known to be inaccurate at times

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

So you got 7.0 on the other tanks with the API kit? How have you been "keeping it that way" before? The new tank should have the same water in it. I would suggest getting a new Fluval kit.

Nah sorry, I had 7.0 on all my tanks with the Fluval, 4 drops in 5ml. Including today.

Then I tested them all once again but with the API, 3 drops in 5ml. All 7.6.

So the three tanks had different results a few minutes apart depending on the kit.

I have both kits as I am starting to run out of api. My ph is 7.6 to 7.8 with APi, and clearly more like 7.6 with Fluval. I also have black skirted tetras...they are my favourites and do well.

Good to know that the Black Skirt do well in 7.6/7.8 as they're my main choice. I love 'em too.

As for the Dwarf Gourami, it's expected to be no more than 6.5. Maybe I won't pull my luck.

I'll go with the Honey Gourami instead, they're my second choice and they can go to 7.5 - oh and my girlfriend loves them lol

7.6 is not very high and the majority of captive bred fish can do well in most pH's

These are hobbyist kits, not professional equipment, and are known to be inaccurate at times

Thanks for the info, that makes me feel less stressed !

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Nah sorry, I had 7.0 on all my tanks with the Fluval, 4 drops in 5ml. Including today.

Then I tested them all once again but with the API, 3 drops in 5ml. All 7.6.

So the three tanks had different results a few minutes apart depending on the kit.

Good to know that the Black Skirt do well in 7.6/7.8 as they're my main choice. I love 'em too.

As for the Dwarf Gourami, it's expected to be no more than 6.5. Maybe I won't pull my luck.

I'll go with the Honey Gourami instead, they're my second choice and they can go to 7.5 - oh and my girlfriend loves them lol

Thanks for the info, that makes me feel less stressed !
I would trust the API cuz IMO it is the best test kit.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
flyinGourami
Replies
Views
tom855
Replies
Views
Mike999