Fluval ceramic diffuser broken? Help.

EH81821

So yesterday I recently just got a Fzone dual stage regulator and 5lb co2 tank with the fluval ceramic diffuser. I hooked it all up and I currently I have the pressure set to 50psi. This is only a 10g tank. The bubble counter is legit a rapid machine gun in order to get the diffuser to produce any bubbles. If I dial it back to even 5 bubbles a second the diffuser stops producing anything. I saw on the instructions it said to soak the diffuser for 24 hours and I have done that before setting all this up. What can I do because 1. I’m just waiting co2 at this point just to get the diffuser to operate correctly and 2. I feel like imma create an algae bloom by blasting this much. I let it run like this for a day already (8hours in total) as I have the solenoid on a timer. I attached photos of the diffuser working when the bubble count is insane. Any help would be great. This is my first go at co2 so could be user or faulty diffuser as I have checked for leaks twice and nothing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 10

Mudminnow

...The bubble counter is legit a rapid machine gun in order to get the diffuser to produce any bubbles. If I dial it back to even 5 bubbles a second the diffuser stops producing anything....
As you suspect, this is not the way it should be. I'd start by trying a different diffusor to see if that makes a difference.
...I feel like imma create an algae bloom by blasting this much...
It's not the algae you need to worry about at this point. Injecting too much CO2 into an aquarium creates deadly conditions for any animals you want to put in there.

EH81821

Would water changes fix the wacky parameters if something was to arise today from this not fixed yet?

EH81821

**Update** switched to SR aquaristik diffuser and same thing is happening…

Mudminnow

**Update** switched to SR aquaristik diffuser and same thing is happening…
Hmm. The only Fzone regulator I've used is the Fzone Mini V3.0 Dual Stage. For me, it was a perfectly good regulator. And, there are bubbles coming from the regulator, so I'm inclined to think it's probably not the problem.

I was thinking, though, that it shouldn't even take 50psi to get the bubbles moving. 50 psi is fine, but I think I was using closer to 30 psi in my smaller tanks.

Have you checked the CO2 tubing to make sure there are no kinks or holes?

If you're using a check valve, have you made sure it is not installed backwards?

After you have tuned the psi where you want it, then dialed the needle valve to get the bubble count you want, how long have you left it? Sometimes it can take hours, even a day or so to break in at first.

GlennO

I’m not sure what’s going on. The co2 expelled out of the bubble counter has to go somewhere. Even if it’s only running at 1 bps when the pressure is sufficient it will eventually have to come out of the diffuser. If it doesn't it would suggest that there’s a leak in the line I would think?

Just to confirm, you are using co2 tubing and not regular airline tubing?

EH81821

Hi yes I am using co2 tubing and I left the fluval diffuser for over a day at 1bps and nothing even happen unless I cranked the psi up and the bubble count up.

I now have the aquaristik working fine. So idk if the ceramic fluval one was messed up or what the deal was.

I don’t have a check valve on the line.. should I?

Mudminnow

Hi yes I am using co2 tubing and I left the fluval diffuser for over a day at 1bps and nothing even happen unless I cranked the psi up and the bubble count up.

I now have the aquaristik working fine. So idk if the ceramic fluval one was messed up or what the deal was.
Well, at least it's working now. :)
I don’t have a check valve on the line.. should I?
Yes. The check valve will protect your regulator from getting water in it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies
Views
Sosublime
  • Question
Replies
Views
Vishaquatics
Replies