Fluval Bug Bites

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Today I’m going to give an honest review on the newly popular Fluval bug bites. I’m going to cover price to quality ratio as well as nutrition, how fish react and which fish benefit from this food.
Fluval bug bites popular amongst many YouTube personalities and advertised in many aquarium magazines, they come in many “medleys” which I’d assume are favored by several different species. I have only tried the “tropical medley” and I can advocate for it as the quality of the food is good. This food can be a bit on the expensive side costing about $5-$7 but this is countered by the larger container size. I do like that the ingredients include many vitamins and proteins which are good for carnivorous fish species. The food is nutritious and the fish also do find it delicious. The food has a pungent smell which may bother some but is more enticing for fish. I can recommend this food specifically for bettas, tetras, and other small tropical, carnivorous fish, this is because the Fluval bug bite are so small that they can be fed more often and accurately allowing you to give your fish less and a time, in turn helping prevent swim bladder diseases and over feeding. These pellets do sink which you may or may not like. These pellets also don’t expand in water so they are good for smaller fish. One issue I do have with this food is that is limited to smaller fish because of its very tiny size, in the future I think the formula should be created with slightly different ingredients in order to suit more medium sized fish and community tanks. My overall rating is a 8/10 being good but I don’t think bug bites could be a fishes only source of food.

BHK3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They do actually make different sizes and formulas (though the formulas are by and large very very similar):

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Honestly, I’m not particularly impressed. They’re using only one bug ingredient, black soldier fly larvae, and the rest is pretty standard.

I prefer Dennerle. I feed it exclusively to my betta. They also have other fish specific foods made. Check them out.

But it’s not like I’m a fish nutritionist or anything.

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BHK3 said:
They do actually make different sizes and formulas (though the formulas are by and large very very similar):
Hmmm...I’ll have to look into that..but I still don’t think any of those are suitable for a community tank. Not to mention there are many tropical fish that would enjoy the medley that are bigger than 3”. The question is also, do other fish like Cichlids and Goldies actually enjoy this type of food. This is why more people should post reviews here!

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
scarface said:
Honestly, I’m not particularly impressed. They’re using only one bug ingredient, black soldier fly larvae, and the rest is pretty standard.

I prefer Dennerle. I feed it exclusively to my betta. They also have other fish specific foods made. Check them out.

Every fish is different, but thanks for the recommendation! I love trying new products and my fish love getting new food too. I mostly enjoy the small size for small fish and like I said that pungent smell really makes fish excited for feeding time.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't see why cichlids wouldn't like a carnivore food, assuming they're carnivorous cichlids. I can tell you I have the cichlid formula bug bites for my wild bettas and they gobble them up.

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
junebug said:
I don't see why cichlids wouldn't like a carnivore food, assuming they're carnivorous cichlids. I can tell you I have the cichlid formula bug bites for my wild bettas and they gobble them up.
Good to know. Just thought a couple new questions and a fresh review would clear the cobwebs in this part of the forums because I think hearing people’s opinions on products will not only help avoid clutter in other part but be beneficial to those of us who like to experiment with new stuff.

KO_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My keyholes love the Cichlid formula. I also mistakenly bought the small size for my tropical tank and I was so confused on how my 4 inch Swordtails were going to eat that dust! But I then realize I bought the small formula. I now feed this to my neons in the Keyhole tank and they love it. Tropical fish like the normal Tropical Medley. While it is higher price, the containers do last me quite a while.

KO_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BHK3 said:
Why did they even make that page!?!? They are all the same anyways!

cla001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Interestingly, I just got it in one of the fish stores in NJ this weekend for my Rafael as he was quite picky lately after the illness (Sinking Granules, A6362, for Bottom Feeders). I paid $8 for the container, but the other store nearby had the same one for $6, so look around if you want it. The guy at the store told me it was what he's giving to his picky eaters and promised me it would make a difference, if not separately - with garlic juice for sure.

Well, I dropped some and nothing really happened Mr Raphael didn't even bother getting out of his house.
Anyways, not saying anything bad about it, good to have a container handy for a variety, but at this point I feel like the guy was a little overenthusiastic about it

GoldFiska

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The food doesn't seem bad, and I wanted to try the goldfish food.
But at almost $9 for just 1.6 oz of food?! That costs more than Azayaka! My goldfish would eat all of it up in a couple weeks.

I guess it's fine for small fish, but for someone with a mini fish farm in the back of their house, Bug Bites is simply too expensive to be practical.

GoldFiska

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
scarface said:

Just checked out Dennerle, it probably has the best array of ingredients I've seen so far. Way better than Bug Bites.

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Like I said it is a little expensive, and isn’t practical for everyone. Every fish is different and like I said, I’m not sure this would work or be worth it for larger fish. That’s one drawback the company should consider...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom