Fluval Bio Max Replacement

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by The salient, Apr 7, 2017.

1. The salient

The salientValued MemberMember

Hello,I was curious as to how often I need to change my bio max (ceramic rings) in my canister filter?, the little booklet that it comes with says every 6 months (which I'm assuming is fluval recommended), but as I research a lot of people say they never change it, is this a money making scheme on fluvals end or can I let it it be as a lot of good bacterial resides in those rings,and if I do need to change it every six months what's the best way to go about that to preserve the good bacteria, I, aware to not change all the media at once and stage them but as far as the rings go what's best way to change them (if I have to). Thanks all

2. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't change them.

3. Bizarro252

Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

Yes, money making scheme. Just rinse them now and again (like swish them around) in tank water to keep detritus from building up, etc. They are ceramic, they dont 'expire'. If for some reason they start to break apart on you replace them slowly (like 1/3 of them every week or 2).

4. S_Fish85New MemberMember

Agree with ashenwelt and Bizarro252. No need to change them out every six months. They should last for years. Just rinse them in tank water ever now and then and even if they break in half they will still be just as good. I would only replace and/or add more if they begin to disintegrate.

5. OP
    OP
    The salient

Yes that is what I do once a month with all the filter media,just rinse slightly in the water in the canister,appreciate u guys input,any other suggestions on the monthly cleaning and maintenance of my canister filter?

6. OP
    OP
    The salient

How often do u Guys change the mechanical and bio filter pads?

7. Bizarro252

Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

Hi! sorry, totally missed your new questions.

Which canister do you have?

Personally I have not changed a sponge on any of my canisters yet (however the oldest one is maybe 2 years) I just squeeze them out in the water left in the canister. Same with my bio ceramic (I use BioHome Ultimate) just swish it around in the water to knock off any buildup. I have more fine filter floss to help polish the water, I do change that every time I clean the filters because they clog up pretty quickly. I use the blue/white pads that you can find on DFS and Amazon - I tried the 50 micron nice polishing pads and they are great but I was worried about them clogging and allowing bypass so I stopped, I cant tell any difference with the floss instead of those finer pads anyways.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice