Fluval Aquasky LED Strip Light

• Thread starter Utar
  • Start date

Utar

Well Known
Fluval Aquasky LED Strip Light

I was wondering if anyone has this light and what you think of it?
Does the remote app for a cell phone work good?

I had ordered the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 HLC Aquarium LED Light. But I cancelled it while considering the Fluval Aquasky. The reason I can control the light by an app on my cell phone.

For this reason I was thinking if anything ever happened to the remote for the Finnex light (One of my dogs used my remote for the TV as a chew toy.) I would not be able to control the light.

But a bluetooth app using my phone, then I would not have to worry about losing a remote.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
I have the 2.0 Aquasky and it works good for me. Once you figure out how to change the settings that is. Its a small learning curve but I like it a lot so far.

Utar

Well Known
StarGirl said:
I have the 2.0 Aquasky and it works good for me. Once you figure out how to change the settings that is. Its a small learning curve but I like it a lot so far.
How long have you had the light and does it seem to be strong enough for most plants. I have a 55 gallon fully planted aquarium.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
I have only had low light plants like Vals, Crypts and swords so I really can't say for sure. I know there is the more expensive Aquasky planted 3.0 light.

Utar

Well Known
I have lots of Temple Plants, Amazon Swords, Moneywort, and a few other low tech plants.

Right now I have two lights on my 55 gallon aquarium. On the left I have the 18 inch NICREW ClassicLED Gen 2 Aquarium Light and on the right I have COODIA Aquarium Hood Lighting Color Changing Remote Controlled.

I took a picture of my aquarium with both lights on, and as you can clearly see the Nicrew on the left side is much brighter then the Coodia is on the right side of the picture.

55 Gallon Aquarium 8-15-20.jpg

But the remote for the Coodia as me hooked on this feature. So I am looking at getting a full length light with remote to replace the two shorter lights. I guess I should go with this one for price point NICREW RGB Plus Aquarium Light, Freshwater Aquarium LED Light with Remote Controller because it is only $66.99.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
jake37 what light do you have? ;) or 3?

faydout

Well Known
I've got a 24" Aquasky, and 2 36". Depending on how deep your 55 is (my 54 is 24" deep), I'd consider saving up and getting the 3.0 for plants. I'm starting to think the difference is worth the cost. At least for deeper tanks. The 2 36" 2.0's are on a 40B, only 16", and plants are doing great. One thing I do really love about these fluval lights is how well the day / night cycle works. Especially when you can balance your morning, afternoon, and evenings between 2 lights on the same tank. It seems much more natural with real sunrises and sunsets.

CTYankee79

I have both the Aquasky and Finnex 24/7 HLC on my heavily planted 40 breeder. I will say the Finnex is definitely brighter. The Aquasky is pretty bright but depending on what kind of plants you have it may not be enough.
I like the app and it’s really easy to use, but one of the downsides I just found out the hard way, we lost power and my wife couldn’t turn the light back on when the power came back on because I wasn’t home.

Utar

Well Known
CTYankee79 said:
I have both the Aquasky and Finnex 24/7 HLC on my heavily planted 40 breeder. I will say the Finnex is definitely brighter. The Aquasky is pretty bright but depending on what kind of plants you have it may not be enough.
I like the app and it’s really easy to use, but one of the downsides I just found out the hard way, we lost power and my wife couldn’t turn the light back on when the power came back on because I wasn’t home.
I tell ya this is a really hard decision to make but your reply as helped me. This is more what I was looking for in that someone has both lights and can give me an idea as to which one is brighter. Sounds like for my wallet the Nicrew is better, but for my aquarium plants the Finnex would be better. Thank you for the reply.

CTYankee79

Glad I can help! You won’t be disappointed with the Finnex. One thing I will say if the sunrise/sunset feature is important to you, the timing is way more customizable on the Aquasky. You can only program in 3 hour blocks on the Finnex, and can’t control the ramp up/ramp down time. Which is fine for some people but I ended up just putting mine on a wall timer...sorry if this makes your decision harder lol

faydout

Well Known
I guess I prefer dimmer tanks, but I only have my white lights set to 25 and 28% brightness (I set the morning light a little higher). Helps keep algae down... at least in my unscientific observations. My red and green spectrums are much higher for the plants, and I only turn blues on in the evenings for an hour before everything shuts off. I keep the app on my iPad, which stays home all the time.

Zach72202

It might be worth it to check around for a used Fluval Planted 3.0. I just bought one today that a guy used for 1 month on his cichlid tank and I paid 140$ for it, basically new, and new they are $209.99. I found mine for sale on facebook marketplace

jake37

Fishlore VIP
I have the plant 3.0 on all my tanks. I tried an aquasky on a 20 long but decided i disliked the tones since i had seen the plant 3.0. I suspect if i had never seen the plant 3.0 the aquasky is not bad (and it is 1/2 the price).

As for buying used i'd make sure it has a warranty. Fluval has a generous 3 year warranty and i would think that it is worth it for the difference. You can frequently get them for 10% off via petco or less often kensfish or aquariumcoop.
-
There are several $60 lamps that might be worth checking into. One is hygger (which makes decent heaters). I've forgotten the other. I've not used them so i can't compare to the plant 3.0. The plant 3.0 is not as bright as i would like but for those who have actually measured the output via par meter it is probably as good as you will do in that price range. There is a new finnex light that might be a little better (they make many models - the one i'm thinking of is not cheap); the other lights i know of that are noticeably better are $500+.

One area that fluval wins big time is there phone app. It isn't perfect (for example if you wnat 4 on 4 off 4 on that is not easy to do with the app as you can't add unlimited periods(or at least i didn't see an easy way).
-
Also the lamps forget their setting on power outage but hte settings are remember in the app so as soon as you reconnect they are reloaded.
-
Btw if your tank is deep nothing for less than $500 is going to do a great job 'cept maybe 6 or 7 $50 flood lights.

StarGirl said:
jake37 what light do you have? ;) or 3?

CTYankee79

faydout said:
I guess I prefer dimmer tanks, but I only have my white lights set to 25 and 28% brightness (I set the morning light a little higher). Helps keep algae down... at least in my unscientific observations. My red and green spectrums are much higher for the plants, and I only turn blues on in the evenings for an hour before everything shuts off. I keep the app on my iPad, which stays home all the time.
Good idea about the ipad

Dennis57

Well Known
I use the 3.0 on 4 of my tanks along side the Vivagrow LED lights. Never had a problem with either light, they grow plants like crazy

Utar

Well Known
CTYankee79 said:
Glad I can help! You won’t be disappointed with the Finnex. One thing I will say if the sunrise/sunset feature is important to you, the timing is way more customizable on the Aquasky. You can only program in 3 hour blocks on the Finnex, and can’t control the ramp up/ramp down time. Which is fine for some people but I ended up just putting mine on a wall timer...sorry if this makes your decision harder lol
No not harder I was wanting the best light for the money for my aquarium plants. I guess it all comes back to the Finnex, I had one ordered then cancelled it upon finding out about the Fluval Aquasky. I have also read that the Finnex has a slow up and down with the sunrise/sunset feature, where the Aquasky goes through this cycle of lighting very fast.

Cody

Well Known
Utar said:
No not harder I was wanting the best light for the money for my aquarium plants. I guess it all comes back to the Finnex, I had one ordered then cancelled it upon finding out about the Fluval Aquasky. I have also read that the Finnex has a slow up and down with the sunrise/sunset feature, where the Aquasky goes through this cycle of lighting very fast.
the fluval lights are fully customizable. I have an Aquasky that comes on on 8am Ramps up time 100% 12pm-3pm and ramps down to 0% from 3pm-8pm.

With a Finnex you can only play in their 3 hour blocks. Which generally should be fine. To me the 24/7 lights let you have your lights on longer for a planted tank. If I kept mine on 100% for 12 hours I think I would have some serious algae issues.

I do have a 24in tall tank and it has done we with most plants. I have learned my limitations and in hindsight I wish I would of gone with the 3.0 from the start And had no limitations. From your picture it looks like you have a pretty thick substrate, which helps. But as you’ve already kind of called out, the Finnex probably gives you the best for the price. But the Fluval lights are awesome and I personally love the complete control.

Utar

Well Known
Cody said:
the fluval lights are fully customizable. I have an Aquasky that comes on on 8am Ramps up time 100% 12pm-3pm and ramps down to 0% from 3pm-8pm.

With a Finnex you can only play in their 3 hour blocks. Which generally should be fine. To me the 24/7 lights let you have your lights on longer for a planted tank. If I kept mine on 100% for 12 hours I think I would have some serious algae issues.

I do have a 24in tall tank and it has done we with most plants. I have learned my limitations and in hindsight I wish I would of gone with the 3.0 from the start And had no limitations. From your picture it looks like you have a pretty thick substrate, which helps. But as you’ve already kind of called out, the Finnex probably gives you the best for the price. But the Fluval lights are awesome and I personally love the complete control.
There are two Aquasky lights I am looking at, one is the 3.0 version but for some reason it only comes in 24" - 34" for $149.99 and I can barely afford one not two because I need to cover 48" with on my 55 gallon. This version AQUASKY Bluetooth does come in 48" and it is 40 bucks cheaper. I wonder why the 3.0 version doesn't come in 48" and what is the real difference to a planted aquarium between these two lights.

Cody

Well Known
Utar said:
There are two Aquasky lights I am looking at, one is the 3.0 version but for some reason it only comes in 24" - 34" for $149.99 and I can barely afford one not two because I need to cover 48" with on my 55 gallon. This version AQUASKY Bluetooth does come in 48" and it is 40 bucks cheaper. I wonder why the 3.0 version doesn't come in 48" and what is the real difference to a planted aquarium between these two lights.
They do make a 48in version but amazon must be out of stock. But I can tell you that the 3.0 usually retail around $200-210 for the 48in.

Utar

Well Known
Well I got down to the brass tacks of looking at how much money I can comfortably spent at this time and decided to go for the one that will give me the best lighting for my plants at the cheapest price. Here is what I decided own NICREW ClassicLED Gen 2 Aquarium Light. It doesn't come with a remote so I am also ordering this NICREW Dual Channel Aquarium Light Timer. The timer says it can mimic sunrise/sunsets.

Nicrew also has one with a remote NICREW RGB Plus Aquarium Light.
But I decided against this one and choose the ClassecLed Gen2 and here is why.

ClassicLED Gen 2
40W - led count 210 White + 42 blue
NICREW RGB Plus Aquarium Light
30w - led count 120 white + 60 RGB

To tell you the truth, I am not so sure what all the fancy colors ramping up and down sunrise/sunset etc, etc really has to do with growing aquarium plants, but I am just learning so sometime in the future I might and probably will correct myself. But for now I feel all that is truly needed is white light to grow plants. And the Nicrew ClassicLED Gen 2 seems to be the biggest bang for my buck for providing white light.

Again thanks to all of you for your replies....your great....:)

Top Bottom