Fluval aquaclear died

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by MongooseALaMode, Jul 1, 2016.

1. MongooseALaMode

MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

I had an old used aquaclear that died a few months ago and I got a new hob fluval aquaclear 50... I just cleaned the tank and when I plugged it back it it did nothing...
    I though this brand was supposed to be reliable...

I really like it because it has an adjustable flow.
    What should I do now?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unplug it, remove the impeller casing, replace it, and plug it back in. Also, I'd fill it up with water so it doesn't have to fill the chamber itself.

3. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You might also try using a turkey baster to squirt a blast of water into the impeller when you plug it back in to help kick-start the spinning action.

4. OP
    OP
    MongooseALaMode

I always fill it before I plug it in to lessen the stress on the motor. I'll try that. The motor isn't making any sound though. We'll see

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Do you remove the impeller and use a q-tip to clean out the hole it sits in? It could be that something is causing friction in there.

6. OP
    OP
    MongooseALaMode

I cleaned it off and cleaned out the space it goes into. It's working! Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    MongooseALaMode

I'm so glad I don't have to go buy a new one

Attached Files:

8. g

g25racer Valued Member Member

Both of mine do this every single time. What causes this is likely a worn down shaft.

I simply fill with water, plug it in, turn the flow valve to the lesser and quick stick a pen in the impeller. It immediately starts up.

I have new shafts already just waiting to replace them until they start to make noise. They can be had for like $5 a piece online fyi

9. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

To avoid the impeller sticking I fixed it so that I don't have to turn my aquaclear powerhead off when doing a 25% water change.

The modern ones are much better than the oldest ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice