Fluval Ac 50 Or 70 For 20 Gallon Long Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by blissfulbunny, Jun 22, 2019.

1. blissfulbunny

blissfulbunnyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +59
    Experience:
    4 years
    Should I get the Fluval AC 50 or 70 HOB for my 20 gallon long? I have an old, barely working 70 on there now (putt putt).

Per the sticky on this thread: It's recommended for HOB filters, to have 8-10 times the volume of the tank per hour. i.e. 20 gallon tank=160-200gph.

Per Fluval:
    AC 30 - 150 GPH rating.
    AC 50 - 200 GPH rating
    AC 70 - 300 GPH rating

I have small fish in a heavily planted tank (Tetras, Corys, guppies). Will the AC 70 blow my little tetras and guppies all around the tank?

I had a size 70 on my 29 tall and it worked great.

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,157
    Experience:
    2 years
    On my 20 long i run a Fluval 206 canister an AC50 and a dual sponge filter it is also heavily planted with corys and guppies and they do well.. once your plants reach the top they find slower spots to rest in but mine also like to sit in front of the flow at times for the current. ( none sick just for the record )

Attached Files:

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you plan for it to be your only filter, I'd go with the 70 tbh. The increased flow will greatly help with removing debris from the aquarium as it will greatly minimize dead spots and also packed with mechanical media, will keep your water column pretty much crystal clear.