Fluval AC 50 and 70 Parts Interchangeable?

ForceTen

I have both filters. Over time I have purchased impellers and motors. I know the motor is the same for both 50 and 70. That alone is weird IMO. Fluval told me the impellers were different and verified the motors are the same. I guess the impeller has got a different pitch depending on model? They look identical to me.
Well I got the impellers mixed up.
So I just installed one in the 50 not knowing which one it was and it works.
I have not performed a true test, as I have no idea whats what. But so far it looks like the impellers and motor are the exact same for both the AquaClear 50 and 70.
It also looks like the only difference between the two is the size of the housing. Makes no sense as they each have a different GPH rating.
Anyone know for sure? Anyone know why?

RayClem

ForceTen said:
I have both filters. Over time I have purchased impellers and motors. I know the motor is the same for both 50 and 70. That alone is weird IMO. Fluval told me the impellers were different and verified the motors are the same. I guess the impeller has got a different pitch depending on model? They look identical to me.
Well I got the impellers mixed up.
So I just installed one in the 50 not knowing which one it was and it works.
I have not performed a true test, as I have no idea whats what. But so far it looks like the impellers and motor are the exact same for both the AquaClear 50 and 70.
It also looks like the only difference between the two is the size of the housing. Makes no sense as they each have a different GPH rating.
Anyone know for sure? Anyone know why?
If the magnet pump casings are the same on both the AC 50 and AC 70, it is still possible that the impellers could be designed differently for different flow rates. Since the impellers are both designed for the same pump, they are interchangeable in terms of size, but you might not get the same flow rate if you put a AC 50 impeller in the AC 70 filter.

If you put an AC 70 impeller in the AC 50 filter, you might get a slight increase in flow, but there will be some flow restriction as the cross section area of the AC 50 box is smaller than the AC 70.

In manufacturing, producing a larger number of one item is less expensive than producing two different items. I guess that is why they use the same pump for both filters, even if the impellers might be different.

Top Bottom