Fluval 407 intake sponge and outlet sponge.

Shnake

Hi
I have a 40 gal with a 407. I’m trying to get two things accomplished.
first I’m wondering what sponge with fit on the intake tube or over the basket that comes with the filter. There are a ton on Amazon but I don’t know the O.D. of the intake tube.
Second, I would like to defuse or baffle the outlet on the filter. Again not sure what size sponge to get.
Thank you in advance.

carsonsgjs

Have you considered using a spray bar instead of the standard output nozzle?

Shnake

No I haven’t. What are the advantages/disadvantages? It’s a fresh water set up.

kansas

I just put a spray bar on a 407 today. I'm hoping the more gentle flow will help my floating plants.

carsonsgjs

No I haven’t. What are the advantages/disadvantages? It’s a fresh water set up.
Fluval make their own direct replacement which you should be able to find quite easily, or there are other brands available. I use spraybars on all of my tanks including on a 407 - it helps spread the flow evenly throughout the tank and the flow is gentler than the standard nozzle.

Shnake

Buying one tonight

Redviper

Secondarily a spray bar can aid surface agitation which in turn helps gas exchange.

Fisch

For the intake I have a normal sponge filter sponge. It fits perfect and a piece of nylon stocking is added to cover the bottom.
I mainly try to keep snails out of the canister, and with the filter flow the sponge helps gunking up the filter without blockage. Just need to clean the sponge on a weekly base.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Shnake
Replies
Views
Kain
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies