Fluval 406

Viralology

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just did maintainence on my fluval 406. After I reassembled everything, primed the filter, it’s making a wierd noise. Like the impeller is sort of loud. I took an audio recording and put it right next to it.
I’ll upload it in just a minute. The flow is perfect. No leaks or anything. Just a wierd noise. I did prime it correctly, followed the instructions exactly. Any idea what it could be?

This is the link ^

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
take the canister and gently tip it left to right and front to back and it should work out the small amount of air still in it.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is the impeller by the sound, did you take the impeller out if so did you loose a small rubber seating therez one ether end of the impeller

Viralology

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just did maintainence on my fluval 406. After I reassembled everything, primed the filter, it’s making a wierd noise. Like the impeller is sort of loud. I took an audio recording and put it right next to it.
I’ll upload it in just a minute. The flow is perfect. No leaks or anything. Just a wierd noise. I did prime it correctly, followed the instructions exactly. Any idea what it could be?
take the canister and gently tip it left to right and front to back and it should work out the small amount of air still in it.

Just tried it. Some air bubbles came out of the tubes. So I’m assuming it’s working. Still a bit noisy but not loud. Will they come out over time ?

Viralology

Valued Member
Reaction score
It is the impeller by the sound, did you take the impeller out if so did you loose a small rubber seating therez one ether end of the impeller
No, I know what you are talking about. It came out with the white plastic rod. I just placed it back in just as is. It was still attached to the white rod.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just tried it. Some air bubbles came out of the tubes. So I’m assuming it’s working. Still a bit noisy but not loud. Will they come out over time ?
Do it a couple more times and i'm pretty sure as long as everything is in place the way it should be it'll work the last of the bubbles out and will be back to completely silent!

Viralology

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do it a couple more times and i'm pretty sure as long as everything is in place the way it should be it'll work the last of the bubbles out and will be back to completely silent!
Cool! Thanks for the help. I was just making sure nothing was broken during the cleaning process. I’ll keep at it, hopefully to work things out.

In the event the air bubbles don’t work themselves out. Should I just top off the filter my self then put the lid back on it ?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes what richie said turn it off n give it a few more primes ( or give it one or 2 pull and pushes slowly while its running ). but i've always had luck just tipping n swishing it around a couple times.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes what richie said turn it off n give it a few more primes ( or give it one or 2 pull and pushes slowly while its running ). but i've always had luck just tipping n swishing it around a couple times.
I've never had that that problem but now you've mentioned how to solve it I'll watch out in future, to reduce air locks I put the lids on and fill through the inlet hole on the top with a siphon from the tank this in its self forces the air out

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom