Fluval 406 vs Eheim 2217

1. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Title says it all. I've decided I'm nervous about buying a used filter (harder to make sure everything is still working imo). I want to buy a new canister filter for my 50 gallon planted tank. I'm torn between the increased circulation of the fluval 406 and the increased biomedia of the eheim 2217. And go!

2. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Neither in my opinion, check out the SunSun canisters. For the price of one of those filters, you can have 2 or 3 SunSun's. They are a value, super cheap, super quiet, tons of media space/options, include spraybar, easy to install and maintain. Check them out on ebay. I saw the smaller size, HW-302, for $43 including shipping to your house the other day. Not sure what size tank you are putting it on, but 2 of them would out work either of the filters you listed in my opinion. Plus with 2 you have the benefit of staggered cleaning, even more media space, and a backup is always running while you clean/maintain the other one.

3. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Eheim every time. I'll be in the minority, but SunSun are cheap. The baskets are difficult to remove when cleaning. The parts are made from cheap brittle plastic. The two I just thew out were noisy. They do not come with any media. The flow from them is nothing to be impressed with. A plus to them is the quick release for the hoses.But that's it. I have several Eheim's in just about every model they make, and the classics are the best there is. They come with everything you need.

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Now, just to cause more confusion, what about canister filters with the built in UV? The aquatop 4 stage canister filter is boasting a gph of 370, rates itself for a 125 gallon tank, and has a built in UV system. 4 stars with 100 reviews on amazon and it's only $85...

edit: I am skeptical of the UV as even a decent one would go for around $50 for my tank size. And since UV needs time and a slower flow, I'm wondering how effective the 9 watt bulb would be with a gph of 370 passing by.

5. Prep8611 Member Member

I have both eheim and fluval and i like them both. I think cleaning te fluval is easier but they are both great filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

aquatop and sunsun are the same thing . I currently have 3 of these. You can buy them with media for about 8 bucks more. I have nothing bad to say about them i have one in my bedroom upstairs and i check it to make sure it is running as it so quiet

7. bescher Member Member

I have a Fluval 306 and I love it. Unless you have one big ( the FX 6 is rated up to a 400 gal aquarium and the 2217 is rated up to a 160 gal tank your really talking apples and oranges. True they are both canister filters but they work a little differently as well.
    The fluval 406 and the aquatop/ sun sun cf 400 are equal in size and performance and also work the same. The sun sun is a knock off of the aquatop and is made cheaper but still a good deal.
    The eheims look good except the fact that their input is at the bottom rather than at the top together with the output so it takes longer to disconnect than the others, and work a little differently than the others.
    Media on both the 406 and CF 400 are the same as far as capacity ( the eheim is also the same)

Price wise eheim is $149.00
    Aquatop is $85.00
    The fluval 406 is $199.00 while the 306 ( which I have) is $129.00
    The sun sun 404 is $50.00

The above is off of amazon as I am quite sure you can find all cheaper (except for the sun sun) on ebay
    All are for tanks ranging rated at 75 to 100 gals or so

The only thing I hate about the fluvals is their ribbed hoses, hard to turn and adjust but very very easy to clean as is the aquatops and sun suns as well
    I only know all this because I want to replace my fluval's 306 either with a new filter or new different hoses. I will probably go with the aquatop cf400 or just their hoses.
    See what the better half says Wed ( payday)

So there is a lot of information and I would start with what size tank do you have?
    As others have suggested two filters as well ( I do have two. I also have a Fluval C4
    Hang on the back which is rated for 70 gal as well ( that's my tank size)
    And I only have the two because I never got rid of the C4 and do like the thought of having two and over filtration as well.

How many fish do you have, a variety of questions you need to answer and research

8. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Thanks for all the info! The original post says I'm setting up a 50 gallon. The stock will be community fish that would not be considered "messy". Think tetras, otos, gourami, etc. Not even approaching an overstocked level. The tank is currently empty in my basement. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Edit: it's really less about my needs for my tank, which I've already assessed, and more on the opinions of similarly specced canisters.

9. bescher Member Member

As I said I hate Fluval only because of the tubing (all of the 06 series have a flow control valve - by the way a true one not one that is used to turn off the water in the hoses and then disconnect but a true two piece quick disconnect unit) that controls the rate , turns the water off. ( or holds the water in the tubing so you don't lose half a gallon of water) and unless you drain the filtering tank, you don't need to siphon anything) and then a quick disconnect valve) all the others have a disconnect valve but they will also call it a turn the water off and some say you can control the flow but the guys on the you tube videos explain that if you did that you risk a blowout of the tubes and to buy separate vales to control the flow rate. Whether that is true or not I don't know.
    Again the sun sun is cheap plastic but is very good they say

So if money wasn't a problem I would get two 306's and replace the tubing with one from aquatop myself or two 3series sun sun's

My two cents in

10. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

Good morning!
    I am sure you know the Fluval 406 would double the recommended filtration for your 50 gal. I have a 406 on my 55 & love it. Tank is home to 4 large angels, harlequin rasboras & a shoal of cories.

I had a 306 on the tank for several years - it did great - when we upgraded to a 180 this year - I sold/gave away 3 - 306's - no problems - just upgraded to a FX 6 for the 180 & decided to get the 406 for the 55 so I could use more media.

It is true the plastic shut-off valves can break - I broke one when it was hanging on my shower curtain rack & I tried to force it CLOSED - problem was it was backwards & I forced it the wrong way. Part was easily replaced - I would suggest if you go with Fluval - have a spare one of these on hand & a tune up kit. I have never needed either through fault of the filters (3 years & counting) but as I am typing this - I have decided not to tempt fate.

IMO - I am 100% happy happy Happy with all of mine!

11. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Before I started this thread, I was really going back and forth for awhile. I've been thinking about these filters before I even had a tank for them! When I woke up this morning (probably spent 3 hours last night looking at setup, maintenance videos, and general reviews for all of the brands and models listed above) I feel like I may be getting what I pay for with the Fluval 406. Yes, it is expensive, but I think it may fit my needs perfectly and I really appreciate the design. Reliable, strong, ease of use/cleaning/maintenance. I hope the conversation keeps going for any future researchers, but I think I've made my decision. :)

12. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

I think you will be very pleased - if you have questions on would like some tips on stuff I have learned - just give a holler☺

13. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Good choice. If I ever need another filter.... WHEN ;) I need another filter, I think I give fluval a try. I hope yours works out well for you.

14. Prep8611 Member Member

Just cleaned both my filters today and fluval was ten times easier. Couldn't get the eheim lid off till it fell onto my foot ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405980164.900999.jpg

Sorry for the blood and hobbit foot but i just wanted to show my dislike for cleaning the eheim.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. bescher Member Member

Yes I do love my 306 even with the tubing and come to think of it I also broke my red disconnect. Fortunately for me I think it's sort of a safety thing as I put the tube holder back in, it popped in ( probably because of the rubber rings) this was on a sat and my LFS that stocks them didn't have them in stock till the and they held just fine. I think I am going to try the hoses one more time but this time do everything the opposite way and with the tank end first and then filter end maybe I won't have so many kinks and bending

16. Axelrodi202 Member Member

Eheim 2217 provides ample flow for my 120 (4' x 2' x 2').

17. Linwood Member Member

Everyone seems to hate the Fluval tube, though not sure why. However when I first installed I didn't have enough tube with it, so just went and bought some 5/8 ID (7/8 OD) vinyl from Ace Hardware and used that instead. It's clear so easy to tell if it's dirty, and see how much air during priming. The 7/8ths OD is really stiff -- really stiff. You might try 3/4 OD if you want something easier to bend.

An interesting aspect of the 5/8th tubing is that if you heat it and work a bit, it will fit over 1/2 PVC directly (no hose barb needed -- I cut the pvc at a 45 to make it easier to slide on). So you can use pipe in places if you want to also, e.g. for longer runs.

I haven't cleaned my 306 yet, but in doing all this plumbing I have disconnected and reconnected and re-primed a dozen times. It was all easy, it is silent (that was important to me as it's in my office). It's been running 6 weeks and flow rate is still high, plan to clean soon but want the BB to get a real good foothold first.

18. bescher Member Member

I went and bought a new hose ( yes a direct replacement) really couldn't find anything in my LFS for my 306 ( which in itself I love) and I generally will clean it the day after I do a water change or so. Yes I clean my filter every week. I'm sorry but that's me. Some of the guys ( and ladies ) at my very popular LFS ( not petsmart or petco) tell me they don't change or rather clean their filters but once every six months or so. I think that's crazy. I know I am a little over zealous but they are my pets and I take as good care of them as I do my cats.
    But anyway how long is your run? Mine is about 3 1/2 or 4 ft and I tried to move tha canister over to the other side of the stand and either I had ( I didn't trim the hoses down so I had two loops and the filter didn't like that at all so I trimmed a foot and a half off each, installed in the tank side first and attached them to the disconnect end, much better fitting and I am happy. The fish are happy, the water is happy.
    I also was using a fluval C4 HOB but did away with that ( people complain about the water flow which I liked. And I installed two hydro sponge filters and been reading up on them and discovered that they are one way to have extra bio ready in case of a filter failure or to put in a hospital tank. It's ready, buy another tank? Got bio all ready for it. Very interesting reading. I know I am overstocked ( unless you go by the one inch per gal rule, then I am close. So they are helping as well as the 306 being bigger than I need ( but won't be when I move to a 55 gal soon

So if you got air stones and a air pump buy a sponge filter and stick it in your tank, you will still have the air/ water moving but will also get bio media out of it as well