Question Fluval 406 Vs 407

Robmtl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am sick of the HOB filter that came with my tank. It is a 55 gallon freshwater community tank. I was looking at the Fluval 406 then I noticed the new version came out(407) it seems to have some upgrades. The price is only 20$ more but Ill need to wait about 2 weeks until they get more in stock. Is anyone using a 407 and is it worth it to wait?

Thanks

kdsm0527

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am sick of the HOB filter that came with my tank. It is a 55 gallon freshwater community tank. I was looking at the Fluval 406 then I noticed the new version came out(407) it seems to have some upgrades. The price is only 20$ more but Ill need to wait about 2 weeks until they get more in stock. Is anyone using a 407 and is it worth it to wait?

Thanks
What did you do? I’m in the same predicament

Robmtl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I went with the 407 I figured it is the improved 406. I just actually hooked it up today. So far so good, I really did miss all the options for different media and configuration when I was using a HOB. I will let you know how it goes. Install wasn’t too bad

kdsm0527

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I went with the 407 I figured it is the improved 406. I just actually hooked it up today. So far so good, I really did miss all the options for different media and configuration when I was using a HOB. I will let you know how it goes. Install wasn’t too bad
Wish I did. I got anxious. Petsmart had a great deal on the fx4 - just upgraded my other 75 but I think the sale is over. Send good vibes. I’m calling them this morning. (Nail biting)

Robmtl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wish I did. I got anxious. Petsmart had a great deal on the fx4 - just upgraded my other 75 but I think the sale is over. Send good vibes. I’m calling them this morning. (Nail biting)
Good luck! I know many stores will extend a sale if you come in ready to buy. Personally love the fx4 I have one in storage but it does not fit in the cabinet under the tank and my wife really hates to see visible equipment.....

kdsm0527

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Good luck! I know many stores will extend a sale if you come in ready to buy. Personally love the fx4 I have one in storage but it does not fit in the cabinet under the tank and my wife really hates to see visible equipment.....
thanks for reminding me how wide that sucker is! hopefully it fits in ours. hopefully we can get it. thanks for your input!

Robmtl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No worries, if the fx4 can fit you’ll be happy with it more power! Also the connectors have adjustable angles which is key, I’m concerned with the angle of the hosing through the hole in the cabinet. Last thing I need is a hose coming loose and flooding my house.

kdsm0527

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No worries, if the fx4 can fit you’ll be happy with it more power! Also the connectors have adjustable angles which is key, I’m concerned with the angle of the hosing through the hole in the cabinet. Last thing I need is a hose coming loose and flooding my house.
that would be terrible!
so... I called petsmart and the sale was continued through June so we got the FX4 for $199 (orig $279).

Robmtl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That’s sweet enjoy, always good to get stuff on sale!

H2O Concierge

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I have been searching trying to compare the media vol for the 406 & 407 and am running into differing values. Can anybody clear this up for me?

Robmtl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I have been searching trying to compare the media vol for the 406 & 407 and am running into differing values. Can anybody clear this up for me?
I also can’t figure out the exact difference in media volume, but I can say I love the 407, my only issue is when I disconnect the stop valve some water always sprays but no big deal.

kdsm0527

Reaction score
Experience
5 years

Thanks
Invest in the Fluval FX4 and a fan, your fish will thank you! We have 2 75g and both with the FX4's after a few very short lived trials using other smaller canister filters. It's a bit bulky but it's much better. Good luck!

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got the 407 about 2 weeks ago and I love it ! Easy to install, easy to prime, lots of room for media and very good flow. Plus, I got a 2-year extended warranty, total 5 years, in the box. Parts will be easy to buy too.

I wouldn’t get the 406, 2 weeks isn’t that long and you’ll eventually regret it.

Robmtl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got the 407 about 2 weeks ago and I love it ! Easy to install, easy to prime, lots of room for media and very good flow. Plus, I got a 2-year extended warranty, total 5 years, in the box. Parts will be easy to buy too.

I wouldn’t get the 406, 2 weeks isn’t that long and you’ll eventually regret it.
Oh I agree I got the 407 just over a month ago and love it!

H2O Concierge

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

How much media do you think it can hold in the trays. I think they state 1.6 gal, is that realistic? I am trying to decide between the 407 or another Eheim 2217.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@H2O Concierge, I believe each tray of the 406/407 holds approximately 1.5 quarts, plus the volume of the vertical foam sponges.

If I had those 2 options, the 407 vs the 2217, I would go with the Eheim.

Kensfish online has the 2217's for a few bucks under $150. I just placed an order with Ken's a few weeks ago. Free s&h and no tax. Plus its a small family owned business. I like doing business with them. They also have a great and inexpensive selection of in-house branded fish food. My fish love their Ken's Fish brand of wafers, flake and pellets!

407's are all $199 still.

The Eheim comes loaded full of media, while the Fluval is packed with mainly bags of carbon and a small bag of their Bio-Max. After the bags of carbon are exhausted, half the trays or more will be empty. So there is another expense of filling them with layers of more foam sponges or other bio-media.

If your going to drop $199 on a canister, might as well get the FX4 for that price on sale at Petsmart.

Last edited:

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@H2O Concierge, I believe each tray of the 406/407 holds approximately 1.5 quarts, plus the volume of the vertical foam sponges.

Kensfish online has the 2217's for a few bucks under $150. I just placed an order with Ken's a few weeks ago. Free s&h and no tax. Plus its a small family owned business. I like doing business with them. They also have a great and inexpensive selection of in-house branded fish food. My fish love their Ken's Fish brand of wafers, flake and pellets!

The Eheim comes loaded full of media, while the Fluval is packed with mainly bags of carbon and a small bag of their Bio-Max. After the bags of carbon are exhausted, half the trays or more will be empty. So there is another expense of filling them with layers of more foam sponges or other bio-media.

If your going to drop $199 on a canister, might as well get the FX4 for that price on sale at Petsmart.
I agree about the media, way too much carbon in the 407. I had biological media left from many years ago, so I was able to fill it to the max.

I had bought a Eheim pro 4+ just before this Fluval and sent it back. I hated it, so noisy. The 2217 is a classic, probably better than the pro 4+, but I don’t think it has as much filtration power as the Fluval 407. Also, it doesn’t self prime, you have to suck water out of a tube, which didn’t appeal to me at all.

It also looks a lot small than the 407, as far as room for media goes. I also believe the 407 is easier to maintain, the trays are easy to get out and in.

But it all comes down to personal preference.

H2O Concierge

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

I briefly had an Eheim 2080 (returned due to loss of flow-motor head filled with water). I found it to be quite heavy. Had to make a ramp to get it in and out of the stand. I am concerned that I would have a similar problem with the FX4. The FX4 has some downsides...mostly mech and only 1.0 gal bio, consumes 30 watts, must use OEM foams (I cut my own mech pads) and some say it's a pain to service. The 407 bio=1.6 gal, 23 watts. The 2217 bio=1.6gal, 20 watts. Yah the 407 virtually comes mt of bio media, but I would be moving media from my 2217 to it. That would leave an Eheim Pro 3 2078 paired with the 407 and a tidal 110 on the 125g. Is this just a lateral move? Feel free to correct or persuade me. I have been tempted by Petsmart in the past.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@Dechi , i figured out a better way to prime my canister filter and almost all of the air out of the system.

Before turning the filter back on, I open the intake and discharge valves and remove the strainer (sponge pre-filter adapter in my case) on the tank side of the intake tube.

I then insert the discharge barb of a small water pump (Eheim 1000) into the intake tube and plug in the pump.

I allow the pump to fully prime the canister and blow air out of it and the discharge tubes.

After I am satisfied there is no air in the system, I unplug the pump and plug the canister filter back in.

The minimal amount of air that might be in the canister is removed by gently rocking it back and forth and left to right a few times.

No more using the plunger/primer anymore!

@H2O Concierge , what happened with the 2080 ?

Was it easily returned back to Live Aquaria? That is odd that a brand new canister would have the head fill with water like that!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom