Fluval 406 on a 55 gallon

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is a fluval 406 on a 55 gallon aquarium too much filtration or should I just go with a 306? I was planning to upgrade to a 75 gallon down the road but that won't be for a couple years.

krazyone2006

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have a 405 on a 55g but i made a spraybar to take the outake flow down and it works awsome i love it

JRC3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fluval 403/4/5/6 for any 55g is perfect with regular output diffuser or spraybar. I run both for those filters in different tanks...What do you plan to keep in your said 55g?

troyvsc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Spray bar is really simple. All you need is a foot of 1/2" PVC, 1/2" end cap, 1/2" elbow. Drill holes starting small 1 inch apart length of pvc. If the flow is too much drill bigger holes till you get desired flow. The pvc elbow hooks right up to the piping. A couple of heater suctions cups to hold it in place and you are all set and only out a couple of bucks. PS you do not need to glue anything

DIYfishkeepers has a great how to video that does a better job explaining it.

Here is a pic of mine. I am running a 306 on a 40B and it is just fine and it is nice knowing you have that extra filtration going.

JRC3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here's a pic of my 1/2" pvc rim-connrctor leading to my stock Fluval spary bar on my 75g.

These stock (grey colored) spraybars can still be found online for like $15. They are too easy to DYI build though.

There is another 404 tubes on both ends/cprners of the tank.

troyvsc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
JRC3 said:
Here's a pic of my 1/2" pvc rim-connrctor leading to my stock Fluval spary bar on my 75g.

These stock (grey colored) spraybars can still be found online for like $15. They are too easy to DYI build though.

There is another 404 tubes on both ends/cprners of the tank.
For some reason had a hard time finding the spray bar for sale as they took it out of all the online pet stores..

JRC3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
troyvsc said:
For some reason had a hard time finding the spray bar for sale as they took it out of all the online pet stores..
I will admit I haven't looked in a while. Looks like many online stores show them discontinued. I do see many in the UK so I wonder if Hagan quit selling them in the US.

Oh well they are extremely cheap to build and can be painted with Krylon Fusion spay if desired.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom