Fluval 406 Filter

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Matthiasfanu, Apr 19, 2017.

1. M

Matthiasfanu Valued Member Member

Good morning!

So I just got my filter all put together and th intake/outtake are in the aquarium. My question is this. Do I put dechlorinated water in the filter and then prime it or leave the filter bone dry, plug it in, then begin to prime? Thanks!

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I fill my canister (A Fluval 306) with dechlorinated water, then Prime it, then start it up.

3. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

Put some dechlorinated water in the filter, and then begin priming is the easiest way to do it.

4. PaulaMPi

PaulaMPi Valued Member Member

Do you have your manual? My 306 specifically says NOT to fill the canister with water. Place it in position, insert Aquastop and lock in place, open the aquastop valve, and then pump the primer. Once the bubbling stops, plug it in.

5. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

+1, it is not needed to add water to the filter on the 406 (the FX series it is, 1 gallon I believe). However it will not hurt anything if you do, just not needed. Hook it all up, open the valve, and pump the primer until you hear water flowing, plug it in once the output stopps bubbling. You will have air trapped in there for a bit no matter what you do...I suggest tilting it side to side now and then/tapping on the side - again not required, but will quiet it down faster.

6. OP
    OP
    M

Matthiasfanu Valued Member Member

Got it going! Thanks everyone

7. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

all that @Bizarro252 said, I tink the reason it is best not to add water to the cannister first, is the siphon will be harder to start getting water in to the hose. In other word the air in the intake hose has no where to go (or hard to move) if the cannister already has water in it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice