Fluval 406 Canister Filter Noise

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by PMcC127, Apr 26, 2017.

1. PMcC127New MemberMember

I have posted a few times now about my New 75 Gallon Tank. I finally got the water in it and been running it through the filter and starting the cycling process. I have noticed the Fluval 406 Canister Filter, which is normally pretty quiet, occasionally makes a slightly louder flushing sound. No air escapes into the tank when this occurs or anything and it seems to be in working order. I am brand new to canisters having only had the hanging ones on my smaller tanks. I was just wondering if this a normal thing with this type of filter. Did I miss something in setup??? Thanks!

2. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

I'm assuming it's a new filter? I would say that it's not entirely primed and that there is air somewhere.try pumping the priming stick (what ever you call it...) while it is running. It won't wreck the filter as long as you remember to push it back down.

I had HOB for a while but got a canister when I put sand in my tank and it mauled my HOB. I will NEVER go back to HOB for my big(er) tanks. I love my canister filters.

3. TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

If it's just air it should clear itself pretty quick, in a few hours. I don't have a 406, but my CF1200s tend to start doing that frequently when they're badly clogged, or some hose or fitting isn't quite fully seated. It seems to suck air in from somewhere. Can't really see if it's blowing any bubbles though.

A good clean, wipe down all the seals, maybe a light coat of vaseline to lubricate them, loosen and retighten all the hoses. Usually fixes it.

4. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

I could never handle waiting a few hours to find out if it clears up. :D sound drives me crazy.

Does it do it all the time?

5. TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

Nope, only seems to do it when it's badly clogged up, or just after I've cleaned and restarted it and haven't gotten all the air out.

6. PMcC127New MemberMember

its just occasionally like every 20 or 30 minute (total guess i have not timed). I literally JUST set it up so it might just be breaking itself in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice