Fluval 406 and SunSun 304wb too much filtration?

thetrugame

on a 75 gallon I have a fluval 406 (383 gph) and 2 sunsun 304wb (563 gph) ready to be installed. Combined it rates for 1400 gph. I understand that with media the gph will drop but do you think it's over kill? it's going to be a mbuna tank and the flow rate will be high.

Wolf65

I personally think it's a bit overrated but too much filtration doesn't harm. In regards the current in the tank from the filters I'm not sure if the Mbuna appreciates it. The Mbuna is a lake fish and is not used to fast moving water.

jroe263

I personally have the aquatop cf400, which is the equivalent of 1 sunsun 303b on my 75, which is more than enough. I think that flow rate isn't guaranteed and therefore, I trust the manufacturer's rating.

Dylandrewlukesdad

IMHO you can never have too much filtration, I am not sure about the glow however.

Jsigmo

You can always aI'm the outputs and use diffusers to keep the current in the tank under better control.

And I like to have at least two filters in any tank so you've got a backup in case one fails, and you can do cleanings on one while leaving the other one alone so you avoid the possibility of losing too much of your beneficial bacteria all at once if you go too far, or have to replace some pads or media.

The more habitat for beneficial bacteria, the better, in my opinion. To me, it's not so much about flow rates as it is about high surface area for the bacteria colonies.

thetrugame

thanks for the help guys, with that said I plan on having 25-30 mbuna mainly demasonI and labs with that amount of fish does my filtration idea
still seem to work? the wattage of running all three is holding me back but I like the over filtration idea.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BluMan1914
Replies
Views
Sausageboi
Replies
Views
navarro1950
Replies
Views