Fluval 307 or 407 for a 60 gallon discus aquarium?

Fluval 307 or 407?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Elliott03

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking to convert my 60 gallon community tank into a discus tank with live plants. I'm planning on having 6 discus and a couple holdover community fish, the most notable being a 7 inch common pleco. Currently I'm running two penguin 150 filters which as I'm learning more about filters, seems to be on the bare minimum side of things. I'd like to upgrade to a canister, and I've herad great things about Fluval. So, my question is should I go with a 307 or a 407? I don't want to pay extra for the 407 unless I'm getting a real benefit. Also, would you recommend I add a powerhead to the aquarium?

Any other suggestions you'd like to provide as I make this transition would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely the 407 at a minimum. Powerhead could be helpful with circulation although Discus prefer quiet water and retaining one of the Penguins might be an alternative.

I run a 406 & Eheim 2215 on my 64g.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree about the powerhead. And Discuss need VERY pristine water quality. You might be able to get away with the 307, but I would personally go with the 407.

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would also agree that just simply with the discus I would maximize your filtration and it sets you up for what ever else may come.

just like with lights. Sometimes it’s better to spend a little more and not wish you had down the road

OP
E

Elliott03

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I'm going to purchase a 407. I'm still deciding on if a powerhead is necessary or not, but I'll keep what you all said in mind. =) Thanks for making my first fishlore experience enjoyable!

AmnScott

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A general rule of thumb I go by, is that you want your canister filter to be able to completely filter all of the water in the tank 4-5 times in an hour (preferably more, with a higher bio-load). So going by that, you want a GPH rating of at least ~300.

The Fluval 307 would probably be sufficient, but it is better to over-filter the tank. So, I would go with the 407. Gph ratings on canister filters can also be a little misleading, so it is better to underestimate a filter's Gph.

The 407 would do a better job of keeping the water clean and clear, especially once the fish grow and the bio-load becomes bigger.

New Threads