Fluval 306 Start-up issues

mikecg09

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone,

I just went out and bought a Fluval 306 for my 40 Gal. tank. I've been reading about it for a couple weeks now and finally had the money to go ahead and get it.

When I returned to my house, I of course wasted no time in setting it up. I've checked and re-checked the instruction manual 1,000 times, but it doesn't seem to have any flow when turning it on. All the hoses are set-up the right way with no slack or loops. I hear water flowing when I prime it, but as soon as I turn it on, it makes an awful deep buzzing noise and no water comes through the output hose.

Has anyone else had this issue? or maybe know what could be?

Apparently, no one has ever had this issue in the history of these filters because I can't find anything similar to my situation anywhere on the internet. (unlikely) So, i came here to ask it myself.

Fishy Friends

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi mikecg09 - I have 3 of the 306 Fluvals & I will see if I can help. The only time I remember a similiar noise was when I hadn't filled up the canister prior to starting it & i didn't prime it.
Check that the round rubber & plastic piece which covers the motor mechnism is on correctly & snapped in place (sorry don't know what it is called).

utkgreg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, sorry you are having problems.

Are you sure it is completely primed? It might be worth dissembling the unit and fill it with water, then starting again. I'd also check the impeller for any obstructions. If you do that and it still does the same thing, I'd call their customer service line.

mikecg09

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LOL well I didn't fill up the canister so that's probably my issue. I'll go do that and let you know how it goes. Thanks Fishy Friends.

Fishy Friends

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OK - thank goodness that was all it was - I am glad I am not in the "no fill canister club" alone☺ You will love your new filter!!!

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have to prime the filter, and once you STOP hearing the flowing water, then the canister is full, then you plug it on.

It sounds to me as though you're not waiting for the priming to finish before you plug in the filter.

I use Fluval's with no problems at all.

Follow some of advises above, and please do keep us posted.

mikecg09

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That was it guys. It's working like a charm now. The water if flowing strong and the fish are schooling in the stream.
I feel like an idiot, but thanks for fixing my problem.

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mikecg09 said:
That was it guys. It's working like a charm now. The water if flowing strong and the fish are schooling in the stream.
I feel like an idiot, but thanks for fixing my problem.
Mike, dont feel that way, when i got my first canister, I made the same mistake, wondered why there was no water flow, then vuoala! I discovered the new world of "priming," LoL.

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey, the only question not asked is the only dumb one. We all have problems from time to time and here is where we come for help.

I'm glad you got it going.

mikecg09

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I ever get to that point where I say, "I literally don't know what else to do." I always drop what I'm doing and come here. You guys seem to know the answer to everything. even if it's something as silly as not having water in my canister. Thanks again! Hopefully my new Fluval 306 works as well as everyone says it does.

utkgreg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I love my 206; it's a great setup. Glad yours is working now --- hopefully you'll have years of success out of it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom