Fluval 305 Media Change Schedule

1. Sedubius Member Member

Hello I just bought a Fluval 305 canister filter. the filer came with a sponge filter and 3 trays for media with each tray split in half. The media that came with it was 50/50 Biorings and Carbon.

What kind of a schedule should I have for changing this stuff out?

How often should I replace it instead of rinsing?

I know that Im not supposed to change it all at once so what order should I change it an when?

Should I try a different configuration or type of media?

I have 7 african cichlids in a 37g and any information about this is helpful.

Thank you.

2. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

First off, you don't really need the carbon. The only reason you need it is for removing medications from the water after a treatment. Otherwise, you have to change it every couple weeks.

What kind of mechanical media are you using? The mechanical media only needs replaced if it is literally falling apart. Until it does, just rinse it out in tank water once a week. When that does happen, which won't be for probably a year or so, just put in your new media, let it run for a month or so, then take out the old media.

The bio rings can be rinsed off once a month in tank water.

Hope this helps!

3. Lupinus Member Member

Carbon- Really the only thing you would need to replace on a regular basis. Every couple of weeks or up to a month. But you don't usually need it in the first place.

Biomedia (rings in your case)- Rinse off periodically in tank water when you do a water change/filter maintenance. How often develops as a personal preference and needs, usually you'll see recommendations ranging from once a month up to a few times a year. Rare that it actually needs replacing.

Sponges/padding- Rinse off when you do the biomedia. Again, in tank water only. Replace as needed, basically when it starts breaking down or it to clogged to be rinsed effectively.

In short, if it doesn't absolutely need replacing, with the exception of carbon, rinse don't replace it. Just give it a rinse in a bucket of tank water before you dump it down the drain.