Fluval 207 for 33 gallon tank?

gray18

Reaction score
I'm not usually a canister guy, but I grow tired of the continous splashing of water sounds from HOB filters. I am currently using two AC 50 filters on my tank. I was thinking about trying a Fluval 207 on my 33 long. Anybody know if this would work okay? I prefer to have around 20-30 gallons of over-filtration, but being that the 207 is for tanks up to 45 gallons and my tank is 33 might not be too bad.

I would prefer to stear clear of the next up model given that its 200 dollars generally. The 207 is 80 dollars cheaper.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The whole range of fluval are good you wount be disappointed from my experience, easy to maintain and you can regulate the flow if needed

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use a 206 on my 20 long I think you will b better off with a 306/307 for your 33. That's what I would do anyways. Just my .02

OP
G

gray18

Reaction score
Way too expensive. Wont be going that route. Especially since I don't need a 100 gallon canister filter for a 33 gallon tank lol Would there be a flow issue with a 207?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
gray18 said:
Way too expensive. Wont be going that route. Especially since I don't need a 100 gallon canister filter for a 33 gallon tank lol Would there be a flow issue with a 207?
I have a 206 a dual sponge and a Tidal 55 on my 20 long. just to give you a comparison. You will appreciate a bigger filter in the long run. What are the dimensions of your 33?

OP
G

gray18

Reaction score
All that on a 20 long? Isnt that a bit overkill? 33 longs are 48x13x12.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
gray18 said:
All that on a 20 long? Isnt that a bit overkill? 33 longs are 48x13x12.
I don't think it is at all. I have 15 green cory 2 SAE 2 otto cats 2 nerite snails and about 20-25 guppies of all ages in there and its heavily planted. Overstocked yes ...Over filtered no. Also I do 75% WC'son it every 5-7 days and the sand and water looks like the Bahamas :)

Black Thumb

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Fluval 307 is the way to go. You should check with your LFS before deciding to avoid that route. My LFS routinely sells equipment below the prices I find on places like Amazon. I believe his price for the 307 was $145 last time I checked. Great filters.

Of course, you could find an EheI'm 2215 for $125 on Amazon, and that'd filter a 33 long just fine. You may want to augment the flow a little with a Koralia or something later, though, if you use the spray bar. I love my 2215. Just a solid, solid design, which is why it has remained central to the hobby for decades.

OP
G

gray18

Reaction score
I have tried EheI'm before and found their quality to be terrible. I wish their was a canister out there that was around 100 dollars, not cheap junk and could filter a 50-70 gallon tank. Id be comfortable with that on my 33.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
In general filters are rated for bigger tanks than they should be used for. Also the filter should be sized to the tank as well as the bioload. So, yes that filter could be fine for your tank depending on how it's stocked.

OP
G

gray18

Reaction score
I definitely don't plan on overstocking. Probably 18-20 neons and then another smaller group say 8-12 of another schooling fish then perhaps a bunch of shrimp. They don't add much to the bioload though.

Black Thumb

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
gray18 said:
I have tried EheI'm before and found their quality to be terrible. I wish their was a canister out there that was around 100 dollars, not cheap junk and could filter a 50-70 gallon tank. Id be comfortable with that on my 33.
I find that pretty surprising. To each his own, I guess. You can always risk the Sun Sun if you want to shoot for the sub $100 price point. Plenty of those available to filter your 33 long. Good luck, though, if you think EheI'm products are low quality, going the Sun Sun route.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
gray18 said:
I definitely don't plan on overstocking. Probably 18-20 neons and then another smaller group say 8-12 of another schooling fish then perhaps a bunch of shrimp. They don't add much to the bioload though.
If you're picky about water polish you may want to go one step bigger. But functionally I think it would be perfectly fine.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
gray18 said:
That was why I suggested the SunSun302B It was about 80-100$ with the media I had to get for it. The canister alone was only $60 I think. Great canister for a tank that size. Like I said I have one on my 29 with a lily pipe on thwe return and it does a great job. It also came with a spray bar and a couple other things but I was set on using the lily pipe I had.

OP
G

gray18

Reaction score
Black Thumb said:
I find that pretty surprising. To each his own, I guess. You can always risk the Sun Sun if you want to shoot for the sub $100 price point. Plenty of those available to filter your 33 long. Good luck, though, if you think EheI'm products are low quality, going the Sun Sun route.
I bought an EheI'm classic 2217 for my old 60 gallon from amazon. It was impossible to get running and had virtually no flow at all. Pretty bad for a filter that's supposed to be up to around 100 gallons

Black Thumb

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
gray18 said:
I bought an EheI'm classic 2217 for my old 60 gallon from amazon. It was impossible to get running and had virtually no flow at all. Pretty bad for a filter that's supposed to be up to around 100 gallons
Yeah, if your goal is to create a lot of current, Eheim's not your brand, at least the Classic line. Still, I am always amazed at the sheer amount of muck my EheI'm has removed whenever I take it apart and clean it.

OP
G

gray18

Reaction score
I don't need a ton of current, but I do like some over-filtration. Especially considering that it's a four foot tank.

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
IMO Fluval is the Toyota of the aquarium industry. They're super reliable and you can never go wrong with them, but they're a bit more expensive than the economy brands. The 207 is a good filter for that size tank. I think you'll be super happy with it. I would recommend.

That said, I use a AquaTop Forza filter on my 75 gallon tank. Amazing choice. Keeps the tank free of debris and it has a built in UV sterilizer which I'm very happy with. It was even cheaper than the Fluval ones I was considering. I think they're gotten more popular over the last year or two so the ones I'm seeing now are more expansive than when I bought it two years ago. But it's a great filter. People have good experiences with other brand too! Filters are pretty simple technologies so lots of companies can make good ones.

But to your original question, yes, the Fluval 207 would be a great choice. Lol.

New Threads