Fluval 207 External Aquarium Filter

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey, so i want to replace my two fluval u2s for this external.filter. anyone use it? Is it good? I plan on placing all my existing sponges from the internal filters to it, so that means my cycle and bacteria will be safe right? Im scared to.change haha, but the internal ones are starting to bug me and i want a better filter! Thanks.

!poogs!

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 206 on a 20 gallon tank. Basically the same as the 206. It's good.

Bottom Tray: Biofoam and polishing pad
Middle Tray: Biomax
Top Tray: Biomax and Purigen

Didn't your U2 come with biomax. Move the Biomax to the 207. At least you know it can handle the bioload already. Add some more biomax or matrix and you are set.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
!poogs! said:
I have a 206 on a 20 gallon tank. Basically the same as the 206. It's good.

Bottom Tray: Biofoam and polishing pad
Middle Tray: Biomax
Top Tray: Biomax and Purigen

Didn't your U2 come with biomax. Move the Biomax to the 207. At least you know it can handle the bioload already. Add some more biomax or matrix and you are set.
It did yes! Can i put all four sponges from my u2s in too? Also with water changes i just push my filters down so the water doesnt go below them but have seen you hhaveto turn off external.filters while you.do water changes?

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As above stated just transfer everything from your old filters to your new one and it will essentially be cycled right away even if u add for media for Bb to cling to... I never turn anything off when I do my WC’s just don’t go below the filter intake and it will continue to run... it will splash a little once the return is above the water but u can just put a towel over the rim of the tank to avoid that from happening. ( The last part I actually just thought of.. I’m gonna try that :))

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kallililly1973 said:
As above stated just transfer everything from your old filters to your new one and it will essentially be cycled right away even if u add for media for Bb to cling to... I never turn anything off when I do my WC’s just don’t go below the filter intake and it will continue to run... it will splash a little once the return is above the water but u can just put a towel over the rim of the tank to avoid that from happening. ( The last part I actually just thought of.. I’m gonna try that :))
Great thank you

!poogs!

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
It did yes! Can i put all four sponges from my u2s in too? Also with water changes i just push my filters down so the water doesnt go below them but have seen you hhaveto turn off external.filters while you.do water changes?
You can try put the sponges in. If it was me, the biomax would be enough. Because new sponges and new additional biomax, I would give the tank a single dose of Seachem Stability to promote bb on the new media. you don't have to turn off the filter during a water change, you can just turn down the flow, as long as you don't go below the input.

New Threads