Fluval 206 Or 306 For 35g

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by DaleM, Apr 14, 2018.

1. DaleM

DaleM Well Known Member Member

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade from my HOBs to a Fluval 206 Canister or a 306 for an extra $50. My tank is 130L, so roughly 34.5G. Going by the 5x rule for canisters, the 206 should be more enough, but I'd like to have a fairly heavily planted tank so the 306 may be better?

Are these decent filters? Fluval usually make pretty good equipment, but always best to double check with those that might own one.

I currently run 2 HOBs, but am getting tired of having to clean them every 4-5 days. I'd rather one big clean every 1-3 months as most do with their canisters. I know HOBs well and am comfortable with them, but surely canisters can't be that hard to figure out?

Cheers,
    Daie

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. OP
    OP
    DaleM

DaleM Well Known Member Member

Thanks @Coradee

4. Susiefoo

Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

I have the 306 on a 240 litre tank as it came free with the tank. It was sufficient for my light stock (such as would fill a 135 litre) but I've added more. The 206 would be OK for you but for an extra 50 dollars I would upgrade to the 306, no question. Over filtration is always better (within reason!).

My 306 is a really excellent filter, I can highly recommend it for performance and ease of use and cleaning. It was/is my first canister and it's definitely very easy to figure out. There are plenty of good Youtube videos that will talk you through exactly what to do and the instruction booklet is pretty user friendly too.

Don't be alarmed if it's quite noisy for the first few days - after 2-3 days the air will have got out and it runs very quietly now.

5. TLeTourneau

TLeTourneau Valued Member Member

There is no such thing as to much filtration so I'd recommend the 306. If output flow rate is an issue you could build a spray bar or use the flow control in the aquastop valve.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice