Fluval 106

Leonfish1234

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi
today my 14 gallon tank filtre is due to be cleaned according to my apI salt madter test kit the nitrates are a whooping 80 ppm which is crazy as I have had my fish in my tank over a year with no problems so should I remove the carbon and just add more bio media so then the filter would only have mechanical and biological media.
many thanks

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
I would because after a couple months that carbon is doing nothing.

OP
L

Leonfish1234

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
K cool thx I setted up a new feshwater tank that has nothink in it so I might try the nirate test on that and see what happens

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
I personally hate canister filters for saltwater tanks. I call them nitrate factories as many other people do as well. I think you’ve just found out why.
I’d would remove the carbon filter as it is likely doing nothing. How often do you clean and service your canister filter? It’s likely you need to do it more often. If you do replace the biomedia or add more try to get some that is designed to reduce nitrates.
how often do you do water changes and how much do you change? Also clean very good the mechanical filtration pads to remove the gunk and any gunk in the bottom of the canister filter. This should be done very regularly and is a huge pain to do.
what do you have in the tank?

OP
L

Leonfish1234

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Right in my tank I have one regular clown fish and a azure damsel with a hermit crab. I usally rise my canister filter out in RO water ever two weeks I have a capacity for 2.2 pounds of bio media without carbon so now the carbon is gone I have currently got 1.1 pounds of bio media but now a can use the carbon space a can get another 1.1 pounds of bio media in.
I usually do a 25 water change every months maybe that could be the problem

adding on I use a blue corse foam you get and I cut it up so I usally replace the pads every few months

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Absolutely increase you water change schedule. I’d do 25% weekly personally. That will reduce your nitrates and keep them around 5-10. Keep doing the maitenance on the canister weekly as you’re doing.

OP
L

Leonfish1234

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
cool thank You also after taken the carbon out you can defiantly tell the flow has in-proved

Anthony1976

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
saltwater60 said:
I personally hate canister filters for saltwater tanks. I call them nitrate factories as many other people do as well. I think you’ve just found out why.
I’d would remove the carbon filter as it is likely doing nothing. How often do you clean and service your canister filter? It’s likely you need to do it more often. If you do replace the biomedia or add more try to get some that is designed to reduce nitrates.
how often do you do water changes and how much do you change? Also clean very good the mechanical filtration pads to remove the gunk and any gunk in the bottom of the canister filter. This should be done very regularly and is a huge pain to do.
what do you have in the tank?
It bewilders me when people say canister filters are hard work. Unplug it, take it outside and clean it it takes around Ten minutes to do. Maybe it’s just me but I find them really easy.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Anthony1976 said:
It bewilders me when people say canister filters are hard work. Unplug it, take it outside and clean it it takes around Ten minutes to do. Maybe it’s just me but I find them really easy.
Compared to my HOB filter they are hard work. I remove my media basket and rinse a sponge in my sink for my HOB filters.
Also keep in mind I live in Buffalo where I don't have access to an outside hose faucet for 4-6 months out of the year. canisters filters can be a pain to get back up and running and I always spill water. I have one for my turtle tank and I clean my HOBs weekly. My canister I clean it once per month because I hate doing it and it’s take way longer IME.

New Threads