Flutterfish's New 10 Gallon Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by FlutterFish, Apr 11, 2017.

1. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

I've been wanting to upgrade my betta, Bobby, to a larger tank for a few months - and the dream has come true!

Anyway, my orders from Amazon have been leaking in. There were so many complications with the orders (I've had a large container of glitter shipped to me instead of a siphon o_O), so some of them will arrive later than usual (about Thursday or Friday).

There's not much now, but here's a few of my orders :

Aqueon Versa Top -

API Test Kit (The old one has gone completely missing...?) -

Pure Ammonia for Cycling -

Net (Apparently the material is extremely fine due to being made for brineshrimp) -

And that's it for now! The Finnex Stingray is bound to come in a few hours, and I'll be unable to update this for a while since I'm going on a nature retreat (school) from Wednesday - Friday.

Supplies (other than ones listed above)

ORDERED :
    - Python Medium Siphon
    - Finnex Stingray
    - SeaChem Stability (trying this to speed up my cycle)
    - Hydor 50W Heater
    - AquaClear 20
    - SeaChem Flourish Tabs
    - Fluorite Black Sand, 15.4 pounds
    - The actual tank itself (PetCo)

Already have the Flourish (250mL) and Prime (500mL) from the 5 gallon, so I'll just use that for the 10.

S0 excited for this tank! Just need the actual tank, lol.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

Congrats! I cannot wait to see it!
    We have the same net! :p

3. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

Thanks!

Lol, it never occurred to me that people had similar nets to mine :p

4. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Good luck for your tank!

5. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

AquaClear 20 came without the filter basket, U Tube, and damaged in the shipping process. Returned and expecting a new one.
    Brighter note, everything else came! Just need the tank, plants, and Stability. Also need a new thermometer, previous one broke.

Ammonia, Aquarium Salt, Fluorite Black 15 pounds, old Prime, Flourish, Test Kit, Tabs and Net -

Versa Top (Lid), Finnex Stingray and Hydro 50 W -

Python Medium (It's huge!) -

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  6. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

Blackwater route begins!

Since bettas seem to thrive in those set-ups, going to get plants/decor that match up.

Current list is :

- Indian Almond/Oak Leaves
    - Driftwood
    - Crypt Undulata
    - Crypt Wendtii
    - River Stones
    - Anubias Nana Petite
    - Frogbit

Yup, these aren't really the blackwater crypts, but will have a go at them. Also, if these aren't at the newly discovered LFS (Pacific Aquarium and Plant), I'll order them from Planted Aquariums Central.

Rough Aquascape :

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2017
  7. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

Tank (Don't mind the stuff behind it, it's my Nana's) :

Top View :

Filter's coming tomorrow - and my tank will probably be a mess, since Fluorite is the messiest sand I have ever encountered in my life.

8. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

Sorry for such the inactivity, in New Jersey today + tomorrow!

Anywho, to give you an update on the past few days, added water to the tank, and Lord, bestow the amazingly cloudy water upon me. Don't have a pic of it (was too busy panicking over the mess), but I guess I didn't clean the sand enough, lol.

So after a whole tangle with the filter (it made the amazing rattling sound, and my mother started freaking out on it while I was out at swim practice) and continuously applying Vaseline to the impeller, it's now fixed! It's extremely quiet, but with the flow on full, the Fluorite is beginning to have a large hole in the middle... Need to go adjust the flow + rearrange the sand again. Hope it gets better when I come back!

Side note, going to get a Unicorn Frappuccino! Wish Bobby could see this, he'd be flaring at the colors all day long :)

Unicorn Frap postponed to tomorrow. Again, why am I mentioning this?

Ditching blackwater set-up, Mom wants heavily planted, and since she was the one who's paying for the plants... I guess my Mom is the one who seals the deal. (Quote : "The blackwater looks dull. I want planted, it looks prettier.")

Getting pebbles from the beach tomorrow! Going to rinse and do the vinegar, if you were wondering.

Update on Type of Fish :

Was going to get sparkling gouramis for a while, but I'm not really in the mood for a sensitive fish - even though I've dealt with some in the past, I want a hardier, low-tech one due to schoolwork (even though they're so pretty!). I guess I'm going back to the Betta route.

In terms of bettas, I'm definitely getting a female, since they're pretty much underrated compared to their male counterparts (with their long, flowy fins - don't get me wrong, I love the males!), I want a single lady occupying my tank. I also feel like a female will be able to handle the AC 20's current better.

Cycling will start on Monday, btw.

9. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Can't wait to see it when finished!

10. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

Unicorn Frap sold out.

After about 2 hours of planting/yelling/flooding my room, the tank is finally planted :

Going to start cycling tomorrow - finally, a week without tests and swim meets - because, well, I'm lazy. And I need a medicine dropper and a thermometer.

Also, plants are ludwigia, crypt undulata, crypt balanse, dwarf hairgrass and anubias nana. Frogbit is going to be ordered soon.

Better View :

11. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Looks great! Only thing I would change is the hairgrass, the clumps are a bit too thick... can you split them in half?

12. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

Any better?

13. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

Added 4ppm of ammonia, and 5ml of Stability.

14. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

4ppm, wow! Why so high?

15. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

That's usually how I start all my cycle, though... It seems to have worked for me.

16. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

That's all that matters :):)

17. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

What the heck?

Ammonia - 0.25ppm

Dosed back to 4ppm. Usually this takes a week, tho... Is this just me, or am I in love with Stability?

Lol, I forgot to mention that I misread Ammonia... It was 1 ppm, I was too impatient.

Ammonia - 2ppm
    Nitrite - 0ppm
    Nitrate - 0ppm

18. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

MY LIFE. IS. COMPLETE.

In other words, I got Nitrites! The party's getting started!

Ammonia - 2ppm
    Nitrites - 0.50ppm

...And I got overexcited and accidentally broke one of my test tubes.

19. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

I was able to order spare tubes on eBay. I didn't want to buy a box of 24 and a seller had packs of 6. I can find the seller if you want the name.

20. FlutterFishWell Known MemberMember

STABILITY IS MY NEW BEST FRIEND I AM NAMING MY BETTA "STABILITY" BY THIS POINT -

*Coughs* What I mean, is...

Ammonia - 1ppm
    Nitrite - 2.0/5.0ppm

I'm having a little trouble identifying the Nitrite, think it's 2ppm, but could be wrong...

Definitely 2ppm of Nitrites. Ammonia redosed back to 4ppm, and water level lowered for more circulation since I don't have an airstone.

I SEE NITRATES

INSIDE THE TEST TUBE

I SEE NIIIIIIIITRAAATES

AFTER 5 DAAAAYS

AND ADDING SEACHEM STABILITY FOR FOURRRRRRRR

(I am so, so, sorry for making you guys go through this.)

Ammonia - 4ppm
    Nitrite - 2/5ppm (Still can't tell the difference!)
    Nitrate - 10ppm