Flutterfish's Disaster 10 Gallon Re-build

FlutterFish
So...

My 10 gallon, housed with one female betta, was going strong. Until it decided to leak all over my carpet, therefore causing my mom to start complaining about the smell, therefore causing her to come into my room, and therefore causing her to let out a shatteringly high-pitched shriek, followed by my own.

So, in a panic, I siphoned out all the water and the substrate. My mom scooped out my betta (in an annoyingly short time, opposed to me chasing around her with a net) and plopped her in a plastic shoe box that holds roughly about 2.5 gallons, hooked up my AquaClear to it, pulled out my staurogyne repens carpet, anubias, red tiger lotus that was finally beginning to root and okho stone.

Then, I ran out to PetCo and grabbed a new 10 gallon. Right as I was positioning it on the stand, Galaxy decided that it would be the best time to jump.

So she did.

Ensuing another round of screaming.

After thirty seconds of somehow corralling the flopping fish into my hands and plopping her back into the temporary housing tank, I shoved cling wrap onto the top of the tank. She's fine now - she just went back to doing the wiggle-dance for food again. Acting like it never happened. She'd make a great politician

A-n-y-w-a-y,

Everything's fine(ish) now. I just need to re-scape my tank, fill it back up, buy more sand because at least three pounds of my Flourite is gone now, acclimate the fish back in, all by Saturday.

Yep.

Also, tagging everyone back in from my old thread -

AllieSten Jocelyn Adelman AngelTheGypsy PikachuKitties77

Lchi87 Also, you were spot-on about luck running out. Mine just did - wish I was more prepared for it...

Punkin
Sheesh what an ordeal!

FlutterFish
Sheesh what an ordeal!

Lol, I've seen worse... but thank God I have school off today, otherwise this would've turned into an even bigger disaster!

Punkin
Lol, I've seen worse... but thank God I have school off today, otherwise this would've turned into an even bigger disaster!
Wait.... this was all today?

FlutterFish
Yeah! Even I have a hard time believing it!

I still have a ton of work to do... I didn't bother to anything with the tank yet, so Galaxy's going to be in temporary housing for a while...

Punkin
Yeah! Even I have a hard time believing it!
Um...... holy goodness!

FlutterFish
Tell me about it ugh. I'm not even looking forward to re-doing my whole tank.

I have school off 'till Monday though. So I have a lot of time, I guess.

Just means that I won't be able to do my 2.5 gallon tank for a while...

Punkin
I am glad your fish is OK. Is she the one in your avatar? She's really pretty.

FlutterFish
Oh, she's alright. Look at her, being all innocent and such :

She changed a lot though... her current state isn't as pretty as the one in my avatar... although of course, she refuses to believe this lol.

She also lost a couple of scales... two on her head and one on her body... but honestly I'm not too worried about it, it grows back in time quickly.

Her temporary housing space :

Empty tank - just wiped it down with some hot water, didn't want to use vinegar...

And this sad bucket of Flourite lol.

Punkin
Wow what a job!

FlutterFish
One good thing out of today!

My Trins order came - I ordered 2 anubias nana, 2 anubias barterI -

- and holy smokes these things are large. The nana has 15+ leaves on it, with the barterI having 6+. My old barterI looks so sad compared to them lol.

It did come with a bit of duckweed, but I'm fine with it tbh - I kind of wanted a floating plant, and I guess duckweed could be okay with it.

And yes, Galaxy's in the photo because she loves photobombing things.

FlutterFish
*Inhale*

Amazon decided to make my life more miserable than it is - and yes, it's possible, even after hobbling off to swim practice in the early Manhattan morning with mothers giving you glares for muttering curse words, and then grumpily flutter-kicking with a kick-board for 2 hours because my arm decided to be dysfunctional because I pulled it a bit too hard yesterday and I need to finish my homework which I absolutely hate - and let me know that my sand is coming on September 26th, 2017.

That -

So Galaxy'll be stuck in there for a while. Also turns out I only have 12 pounds of Flourite now, so maybe the 5 pound bag will kind of up it a bit. I might need to buy more, though.

*Exhale*

Punkin
Well that's a load of stuff!!!!

Bruxes and Bubbles
Ugh, that stinks. I'm so sorry.

FlutterFish
That came out way more dramatic than I had to...

It's fine, though, honestly. I was just in a really bad mood yesterday because swim practice, which is usually fun, was really stressful and tiring, and then the Amazon delay just made me explode. I just had to rant somewhere

It did arrive in the carrier facility at NY, so it'll be coming soon - just need to get my driftwood back into position!

FlutterFish
Silister Trench

Uhh, I need advice.

A lot of advice.

My budget is really tight right now - honestly, the most I can spend on restoring this is probably $20-$30 - and I don't have much plants either. Some of them are somewhere under my new rug, and some of them just couldn't make the move (a.k.a. my red tiger lotus and 50% of the s. repens carpet). I have an overload of anubias barteri/barterI 'nana', a couple of s. repens stems, two pieces of spiderwood. That's it.

I know.

Driftwood :

Jumble-bumble :

Yup.

FlutterFish
Lchi87 -Mak- Jocelyn Adelman

The thing is my fish seems happier in the QT lol. Probably because I threw a bunch of things in and she's having the time of her life just sleeping on anubias leaves. I honestly don't feel like I need to rescape - maybe I should just throw in the lot and let her go crazy.

I hate hate hate rescaping the tank though. Do you have any suggestions? Since y'all are all better at plants and aquascaping and just making a tank looking like a tank in general lol. Sorry to bother you!

-Mak-
Not a bother at all! I really like your wood, you can do a lot with them. Position them at one-thirds points in your tank, similar to how they are now. The anubias are pretty large so you can tie them near the bases of the wood, and use the plants you still have in the substrate. Smaller anubias can be tied higher up. Propagation, with good growing, will get you more plants in no time. You can probably also find some cheap plants on the BSTF section

FlutterFish
-Mak-
Yep! I would move the taller one just slightly a bit more to the left, though it could just be the picture's angle.

FlutterFish
It's kinda the angle, but I did it anyway

How should I place the s. repens? And the newly coming in tan sand?

Lchi87
I agree with -Mak- 's suggestion. On not having much plants... did you want some hornwort? If you cover shipping, I can send you some. Just let me know!

FlutterFish
My overprotective mother refuses to let me share any info online sadly... so I guess that's a no

Should I place the left driftwood even more to the left?

Lchi87
Aw shucks

You could try combining them somehow to make them look like one bigger piece or break them apart too. Not saying that it will look better that way but its an option that I turn to when I want to do something different with pieces I have already.

FlutterFish
Break them apart? I'd love to do that (destroying things are the one thing I'm good at ), but where should I cut them?

I don't know how I'll combine them either... I've been putting them in all sorts of arrangements and they either look like a dying unicorn or me trying to dance.

-Mak-
S. repens you can use as a foreground or mid ground plant

Lchi87
Break them apart? I'd love to do that (destroying things are the one thing I'm good at ), but where should I cut them?

I don't know how I'll combine them either... I've been putting them in all sorts of arrangements and they either look like a dying unicorn or me trying to dance.
LOL you are too much!!

I suggest using google for some inspiration... try something like "10g aquascape" and see what comes up in the s section. Then when you see something you like, see if you can modify your pieces to make it similar.

Rocks are free decorations if you're okay with going outside and looking for some. Dripping some muriatic acid or vinegar in a pinch, will show you if its safe to use or not. If it foams or bubbles at all, don't use it.

FlutterFish
I fiddled around a lot with the wood - a lot - and after pestering my dad to knock that annoying piece of slate on #1 driftwood, I got this :

I need help now!! Lchi87 I totally need rocks lol... but I'm going to get yelled at if I get to Central Park and start randomly grabbing rocks from the reservoir - apparently that's illegal...

I was thinking of some seiryu to put it under...

Lchi87
I forget that you're in Manhattan! Lol. If you're ever in the suburbs, its not illegal to scavenge for rocks there so keep an eye out! All my river rocks I found not too far from my apartment just laying by the sidewalk!

Some seiryu would look lovely. Even just one or two rocks would be enough and then you can lay the wood on top and create a cave!

FlutterFish
My father took pity on me (after seeing me lug around a bucket of Flourite) and said the magic words :

"I can order more fish stuff for you on that website thingy."

Which included another thing from my mother -

"What? No! Don't encourage her, she'll end up buying another tank!"

"What's bad about that?"

"Have you seen her weekends?"

"She's arranging things in a box. At least she's not watching Netflix all day."

So I guess that means he's paying Thanks, Dad! I officially forgive you for feeding Galaxy 16 pellets a day while I was gone in camp.

Then will 4 pounds from BucePlant be enough? I don't know how many they'll give me though...

Lchi87
So awesome that you have a dad that supports the hobby!! 10lbs of sand in a 10 gallon will get you roughly 3/4- 1 inch of substrate on the bottom so depending on what you want, you can guage it from there!

FlutterFish
I was talking about seiryu stones

Lchi87
I was talking about seiryu stones
Oooh hah! Sorry its been a long day! Yes, I think that is plenty then.

Jocelyn Adelman
I like the wood that way... maybe point the fron left piece a bit more towards the left corner if possible?

Plants will grow in time....

When you decide on the final layout we will help with plant placement.

FlutterFish
Jocelyn Adelman

Okay, thanks! I'll try to position the piece a bit more when the rocks come, I tried doing it and the two pieces collapsed entirely. Whoopsie.

I ordered the seiryu! I actually accidentally ordered 'Black Mountain Seiryu Stone' because I didn't know if that wasn't the only seiryu in stock, but it does look very pretty even compared to the regular ones.

Also, I've heard that it raises pH and hardness... Lchi87 I think you said you have seiryu in your tanks - is there any way to prevenT this?

Jocelyn Adelman
I believe the amount of change is based on current water parameters, amount of stone, etc. most often it doesn't raise by much, but in r/o Amazonia tanks the difference is significant

Lchi87
Agree with Jocelyn, I wouldn't worry about that too much. I have driftwood in my tanks ( as do you!) and that lowers the pH so I don't really see a swing in either direction. My tanks aside from my shellie tank always sit between 7.4-7.6.

FlutterFish
The order has been shipped

Never been this excited to receive a package of stone!

FlutterFish
Water change day on the 3 gallon

Used an old, hard-core-scrubbed lemonade bottle to take out 50%. Galaxy was intrigued by this and tried to get herself stuck in the bottle, but thankfully, she swam out

FlutterFish
The sand never came. So I cancelled it and got a refund.

And apparently I have virtually zero flourite - 6 pounds, and barely fills the tank Remind me to replace my weights.

So I caved in and bought some Up Aquasand. Cheaper than ADA, and doesn't leach ammonia, so I was hooked. Hopefully it'll ship faster than the white sand.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
clovervalley
Replies
Views
betta06
Replies
Views
dandelion
Replies
Views