Flushing Air Bubbles Through Gills And Can't Stay Upright

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Mmmph, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Mmmph

Mmmph Valued Member Member

I set up my tank 4 months ago using Nutrafin Cycle, and added fish 1 week later
    So far none of the fish that I originally bought has died

One of my corys has always spent more time in midwater, and recently started to hang off the surface of the water vertically while flushing air bubbles through his gills (at this point I tried doing frequent water changes and feeding peas, not sure if that did anything)
    For the past week he had trouble sinking to the bottom and staying upright. I found him floating on his side or belly a couple of times but he always swam away normally when I knocked the tank. He is also much smaller and whiter than the other 2 corys I bought at the same time (they looked the same when I bought them).
    In the last two days, he spent most of his time at the bottom of the tank not moving, and would only wiggle slightly when other fish nudged at him. He probably only has a few days left since he doesn't eat anymore.
    None of my fish look sick (no flashing, spots, streaks, missing fin/barbs, etc)

I need some ideas on what happened to this cory, and how to prevent it
    Thanks!

Tank details:
    10 Gallon, Aquaclear 20 with sponge, purigen, and biomax insert
    7.6 pH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 15 Nitrate (freshwater master test kit), 75 degrees
    The last time I tested a spike was around 2 months ago, but no fish died (not even the baby platys)
    3 adult Platys (and a few babies)
    3 Albino Corys
    6 glowlight rasboras
    The tank is planted with hornwort, water wisteria, and anubias (and some algae and snails that hitched a ride when I bought the plants)

Edit:
    Update
    The sick Cory died after I got to home from school today. I noticed that the bottom of his body caved in and made an oval dent under where all his organs are clustered (behind the head before the body tapers off). Is this normal or a sign that parasites have escaped the corpse? If so what type of parasite might this be and what meds should be used?

I know I should isolate sick fish, but I don't have a separate hospital tank and don't want to kill him faster by moving him into a bucket. My other fish didn't bully this cory, the platys just poked around him occasionally because they think the cory found food.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    Mmmph

Update
    The sick Cory died after I got to home from school today. I noticed that the bottom of his body caved in and made an oval dent under where all his organs are clustered (behind the head before the body tapers off). Is this normal or a sign that parasites have escaped the corpse? If so what type of parasite might this be and what meds should be used?
    Thanks!

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

What are you feeding your Corys? Could you place a pic of your tank?

4. OP
    OP
    Mmmph

IMG_4628.JPG IMG_4659.JPG
    Thanks for the reply!

I mainly feed my fish Nutrafin Max flakes, ZooMed sinking food sticks, and Hikari sinking wafers
    Occasionally they get Tetra blood worms, and microwaved+shelled peas

I didn't take pictures of the dead Cory because there's no external sign of illness other than it being unusually white, skinny, and had what looked like a collapsed belly. My two remaining corys are very active and has a slight golden/pink colour (photo)

5. DoubleDutch

The others look very healthy.
    Are they aeneus or paleatus? Hard to tell from the pics.
    I wouldn't treat as long the others don't show a sign of illness.
    You probably know they like to be with more btw.?

6. OP
    OP
    Mmmph

Hopefully it won't be too late to treat if the other fish gets sick too... I don't know what might cause sunken belly other than parasite and starvation, could it be a swim bladder thing?
    Not sure what kind of cory they are, but this closer pic might help IMG_4663.JPG
    Yeah I heard 4 or more would be best, but these 3 corys were too busy rummaging for food to ever group or hide, so I didn't end up getting more. If no other fish gets sick, I'll add 1-2 more friends for the remaining 2 corys.

7. DoubleDutch

Could be it has been an bacterial infection. It is an albino pepper like mine. Not the "common" aeneus. Could the dead one have been an aeneus ? Those are more white / pink.

8. OP
    OP
    Mmmph

I got the corys from the same tank, but they could have been mixed.. So far no one else got sick. I just noticed a bruise-like discolouration on one of the corys (not sure how long it's been there), is that normal for these fish? IMG_4710.JPG

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  9. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

Chemical list?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice