Flushed well system w/bleach. How long before water is safe?

MySquishy

How long after sanitizing a well with chlorine bleach can water be used in a tank?

Our well pump was just replaced, and it’s been 24 hrs since dumping a gallon of bleach in the well. We’ve been running water for a few hours to flush most of the bleach out, to the point that you can’t really smell it anymore. Based on standard guidelines, that means it’s safe for bathing/ brushing teeth/ washing dishes or clothes now, but not drinking for another week or so.

My question is, how long/ how much dilution before water would be safe to put in a tank? I’m sloooowly moving towards fish, still in the “setting up a new tank” phase, but I don’t suppose chlorine water would be conducive to establishing bb.

Actually, would prime work in this situation? It’s more chlorine than is typically put in city water by a good bit….and I’ve read something about prime being bad for cycling b/c it binds ammonia before the bacteria has a chance to eat it.

Any advice is appreciated.
 

StarGirl

Do you have any strips that detect chlorine? I would think if you cant drink it I wouldnt use it in your tank.
 
Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

I'd say not to use it for fish until it's safe to drink.

I'd just hold off or use an alternative source of water to get the tank cycling for now. It might be fine, but I'd rather be overly cautious than accidentally kill fish!
 
Upvote 0

Dunk2

I agree with the comments above. . . I wouldn’t use water that’s not safe for drinking in my tanks.

Actually, would prime work in this situation? It’s more chlorine than is typically put in city water by a good bit….and I’ve read something about prime being bad for cycling b/c it binds ammonia before the bacteria has a chance to eat it.
Prime will not affect the cycling process.
 
Upvote 0

DrPleconstein

I had a friend kill his whole tank once because he cleaned a tool with bleach and thoroughly rinsed it off and it was still enough to mess with the fish.
 
Upvote 0

MySquishy

I'd say not to use it for fish until it's safe to drink.

I'd just hold off or use an alternative source of water to get the tank cycling for now. It might be fine, but I'd rather be overly cautious than accidentally kill fish!
Definitely that!! i was wondering tho if anyone who might have a guess on how long after it’s “drinking water safe” will there still be significant traces of chlorine. Because previously this water was completely unchlorinated, testing at zero.

I realize it’s really no way to tell for sure, unless someone has personal experience to chime in.
I agree with the comments above. . . I wouldn’t use water that’s not safe for drinking in my tanks.


Prime will not affect the cycling process.
Oh good!
I guess I’ll just use that then indefinitely.
 
Upvote 0

FishDin

You said it previously tested zero for chlorine. Just keep testing it until it tests at zero again.
 
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
1
Views
298
nickelback
Replies
14
Views
589
OnTheFly
Replies
10
Views
3K
Tolak
Replies
14
Views
3K
Butterfly
Replies
16
Views
576
fish time

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom