Fluorite Black and Anubias Questions

AcornTheBetta

Hi all!
I am planning on rescaping my 5g with currently has Fluorite Black and some anubias. I was wondering how long does Fluorite Black feed plants for? Also, how do you propagate anubias? Could I just cut the rhizome in half? Thanks!

kansas

I use flourite, I use root tabs as I've been told it does not provide nutrients,

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I use flourite, I use root tabs as I've been told it does not provide nutrients,
Really? I'm pretty sure it does.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I had crypts and ludwigia growing in it before I started using ferts and they did ok. They do better with ferts.
Oh.

Upvote 0

!poogs!

Really? I'm pretty sure it does.

You are right. Seachem advertises that fluorite is nutrient rich. But not rich enough to support plants without supplementing them.

Personally I have two tanks with flourite and two tanks with a different type of sand. I would not use flourite again, because I find its nutrients create an imbalance which helps support growing algae better than plants , and it’s very expensive for what it is. High tech guys may have a different experience with florite if they are growing some advanced plants. (Just my experience, I’m sure other in the hobby love the stuff).

As for root tabs an anubias, it wouldn’t be my first choice. I would use a liquid fertilizer with a rhizome plant personally. Liquid fertilizer are a measured dose per volume of water which help you control concentration of nutrients. Root tabs are slow release calculated on square inches on the aquarium floor, which has its built inaccuracies. Too many root tabs equals algae, not enough equals poor nutrition. Personal, I like root tabs to kick start a predominant root feeding plant when newly planted, in addition to liquid fertilizer, but I never use a root tab after that unless I recognize this type of plant in the aquarium needs a boost, but I never use root tabs to do that for rhizome plants.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

You are right. Seachem advertises that fluorite is nutrient rich. But not rich enough to support plants without supplementing them.

Personally I have two tanks with flourite and two tanks with a different type of sand. I would not use flourite again, because I find its nutrients create an imbalance which helps support growing algae better than plants , and it’s very expensive for what it is. High tech guys may have a different experience with florite if they are growing some advanced plants. (Just my experience, I’m sure other in the hobby love the stuff).

As for root tabs an anubias, it wouldn’t be my first choice. I would use a liquid fertilizer with a rhizome plant personally. Liquid fertilizer are a measured dose per volume of water which help you control concentration of nutrients. Root tabs are slow release calculated on square inches on the aquarium floor, which has its built inaccuracies. Too many root tabs equals algae, not enough equals poor nutrition. Personal, I like root tabs to kick start a predominant root feeding plant when newly planted, in addition to liquid fertilizer, but I never use a root tab after that unless I recognize this type of plant in the aquarium needs a boost, but I never use root tabs to do that for rhizome plants.
Ok. Thanks! Do you think dwarf sag could grow in flourite black? I don't use root tabs. How do you propagate anubias? Could I just cut the rhizome in half?

Upvote 0

!poogs!

Ok. Thanks! Do you think dwarf sag could grow in flourite black? I don't use root tabs. How do you propagate anubias? Could I just cut the rhizome in half?

My experience with dwarf sag is it grows well in any sand. In my flourite tanks I had problems with algae growing on the plant, but I got it to clear up after about 6 mos. In my non flourite tanks it grows easy to. Got so sick of it I pulled it all out of my 120 gallon. It spreads very well but takes a while to fill in. It won’t give you a dense carpet, but it will give you a fairly filled in bottom of micro sword looking plants very close together. Reminds me of a miniature val plant and grows the same way with runners.

Anubias yes. Use a very sharp scissors and cut the rhizome. It survives best if the rhizome is a couple of inches long for each plant after you propagate it. I did one the other day, had at 12 inch rhizome, cut it into 4 plants. No issues.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

make sure each new section of Anubias has at least 4-5 leaves

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

My experience with dwarf sag is it grows well in any sand. In my flourite tanks I had problems with algae growing on the plant, but I got it to clear up after about 6 mos. In my non flourite tanks it grows easy to. Got so sick of it I pulled it all out of my 120 gallon. It spreads very well but takes a while to fill in. It won’t give you a dense carpet, but it will give you a fairly filled in bottom of micro sword looking plants very close together. Reminds me of a miniature val plant and grows the same way with runners.

Anubias yes. Use a very sharp scissors and cut the rhizome. It survives best if the rhizome is a couple of inches long for each plant after you propagate it. I did one the other day, had at 12 inch rhizome, cut it into 4 plants. No issues.
make sure each new section of Anubias has at least 4-5 leaves
Ok. Thanks!

Upvote 0

KribensisLover1

Agreed with fluorite. My plants died my algae flourished.

Upvote 0

KribensisLover1

Plus I don’t love the look of it. My neighbor has a cichlid set up and he saw my fluorite and thought it was so cool and natural. I personally think it always looks dirty and I MUCH prefer my BDBS fine sand.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Could I do flourite capped with sand or does that defeat the purpose?

Upvote 0

!poogs!

My most recent tank I used caribsea supernaturals in sunset gold. It was the dirtiest sand I ever used, took a lot of water to clean it plus a clarifier. I used it in a 50 gallon tank. I compare it to my black sanded tanks... I would never use black again.

Upvote 0

!poogs!

Could I do flourite capped with sand or does that defeat the purpose?

You can blend whatever you want. I don’t know if I would necessarily go on top. That would defeat the purpose. I guess you need to ask yourself why you think flourite is right for you and go from there. If it’s a bust you can always remove it and try again or mix it with something else. I added river rock to my black sand to give it dimension. I got bored of looking at plain black sand all day long.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

You can blend whatever you want. I don’t know if I would necessarily go on top. That would defeat the purpose. I guess you need to ask yourself why you think flourite is right for you and go from there. If it’s a bust you can always remove it and try again or mix it with something else. I added river rock to my black sand to give it dimension. I got bored of looking at plain black sand all day long.
I do have some spare pool filter sand so I may do something...

Upvote 0

TClare

The sand will eventually sink down and mix in with the fluorite, but it wouldn’t really be a problem. I bought just one bag of fluorite and mixed it with river sand - we have a nice clean river that runs alongside our land. My plants have been doing quite well. But its a 4ft tank and there is considerably more sand than fluorite, for my next tank I will just use the river sand.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

The sand will eventually sink down and mix in with the fluorite, but it wouldn’t really be a problem. I bought just one bag of fluorite and mixed it with river sand - we have a nice clean river that runs alongside our land. My plants have been doing quite well. But its a 4ft tank and there is considerably more sand than fluorite, for my next tank I will just use the river sand.
Ok. I'll try that.

Upvote 0

TClare

The river sand has a mixed grain size which mixed with the fluorite looks a lot more natural than fluorite alone.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

The river sand has a mixed grain size which mixed with the fluorite looks a lot more natural than fluorite alone.
I'll mix in some gravel too.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Hi all!
I am planning on rescaping my 5g with currently has Fluorite Black and some anubias. I was wondering how long does Fluorite Black feed plants for? Also, how do you propagate anubias? Could I just cut the rhizome in half? Thanks!
ohhh.....did you already add the flourite in if so, it is not good for plants. here is a video from girl talks fish and she does an experiment and flourite didn't do good.

Also, if you rinse the flourite sand you will lose quite a lot of it. There was one review on the product that said he left the sand with some water outside for a few hours and no cloudiness issues. Also you should read the reviews on flourite sand.

Well, I don't want to scare you off but there are better options.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

ohhh.....did you already add the flourite in if so, it is not good for plants. here is a video from girl talks fish and she does an experiment and flourite didn't do good.

Also, if you rinse the flourite sand you will lose quite a lot of it. There was one review on the product that said he left the sand with some water outside for a few hours and no cloudiness issues. Also you should read the reviews on flourite sand.

Well, I don't want to scare you off but there are better options.

I have watched that video....
I already added the flourite. I'm going to try it mixed with a bit of sand and see what happens.

Upvote 0

FinalFins

I use flourite and It definitely does not have nutrients but seachem claims it absorbs nutrients from the water column. Id assume it would make a good cap for aquasoil though.

Upvote 0

julifhy

Wait... you’re not supposed to rinse fluorite black...? I rinsed it out a lot and my water was still cloudy
These replies are making me kind of confused lol. Is flourite black good or bad?

Why would there be algae growing with flourite black? Also, do you happen to know if fluorite black would be an okay substrate for dwarf hair grass?

Upvote 0

Derek88242

3+ years user of fluorite. I have both the original red gravel and the black sand. My plants grow better in the sand version. I doubt I will ever use another substrate.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Just since I saw it mentioned. Anubias will absolutely make use of a root tab if it's roots are reaching the substrate. Particularly red clay based tabs as they're rich in iron. Yes it will benefit from water column ferts as well. But they definitely will root feed too.

Upvote 0

!poogs!

Wait... you’re not supposed to rinse fluorite black...? I rinsed it out a lot and my water was still cloudy
These replies are making me kind of confused lol. Is flourite black good or bad?

Why would there be algae growing with flourite black? Also, do you happen to know if fluorite black would be an okay substrate for dwarf hair grass?

It’s just my experience with it. If I had just had one tank and it only had flourite, I may not have an opinion. I have several tanks with different sand substrates and the 2 tanks with flourite black are the only tanks that gave me algae problems, and it wasn’t until the tank was over a year old that it stopped in one tank, and in the other tank I removed all the plants because I couldn’t get it under control. So for as expensive as it is, it’s not for me, but there are going to be people that haven’t had an issue with it, and that is what it is.

I do t think it will be a problem to grow hair grass in flourite black sand. I’m sure lots of people do.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

If it's about budget search for DIY osmocote root tabs, you can make an unlimited supply of your own root tabs for 15 bucks and then it won't matter what substrate you use

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I have watched that video....
I already added the flourite. I'm going to try it mixed with a bit of sand and see what happens.
Nice, I mean you can't live life without risks. Also, since you watch girl talks fish I already kinda knew you watched that video.
I use flourite and It definitely does not have nutrients but seachem claims it absorbs nutrients from the water column. Id assume it would make a good cap for aquasoil though.
It would make a good cap.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

it has a decent CEC value but I don't necessarily trust the ability of pieces of rock to absorb nutrients lol. So my tank has a ton of peat moss (something known to have a high CEC value) underneath its flourite cap. CEC is basically a measurement of a substrates ability to absorb nutrients from the water column as mentioned above. just thought id elaborate

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Could I use flourite black to cap dirt? I know it's kinda a waste, but I already have some spare dirt and some flourite black so I mean it's worth a shot.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

!poogs! would that work?

Upvote 0

!poogs!

!poogs! would that work?

Out of my experience to comment on now, and I don’t want to mislead you. I’ve never done a dirt tank, and in these forums I will never comment on something I have not had first hand experience with. It’s not fair to the person looking for help. That answer is best left to someone with experience doing dirt tanks. Sorry.

On the topic of flourite being nutrient rich from early in the post I went back and did some looking into how Seachem has advertised this product over the years. Seachem has changed the advertising on this product over the years. Flourite was advertised as be mineral rich. Minerals are nutrients to plants. Which minerals? They don’t say. It was also advertised to produce “explosive growth” in plants. Present time they don’t promote this product like that anymore.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Out of my experience to comment on now, and I don’t want to mislead you. I’ve never done a dirt tank, and in these forums I will never comment on something I have not had first hand experience with. It’s not fair to the person looking for help. That answer is best left to someone with experience doing dirt tanks. Sorry.

On the topic of flourite being nutrient rich from early in the post I went back and did some looking into how Seachem has advertised this product over the years. Seachem has changed the advertising on this product over the years. Flourite was advertised as be mineral rich. Minerals are nutrients to plants. Which minerals? They don’t say. It was also advertised to produce “explosive growth” in plants. Present time they don’t promote this product like that anymore.
Interesting... DarkOne do you think flourite black would work as a cap for a dirt?

Upvote 0

DarkOne

Interesting... DarkOne do you think flourite black would work as a cap for a dirt?
I've never used Flourite (any flavor). I would think it's a waste to use as a cap but if you already have it and want to use it, I don't see why not.

Is this a new tank or your 29g?

If it's about budget search for DIY osmocote root tabs, you can make an unlimited supply of your own root tabs for 15 bucks and then it won't matter what substrate you use
I was using Seachem root tabs before I started using DIY osmocote root tabs. I bought a 1000pk of #00 gel caps and the 8lb bag because it was only 2x the price of a 2lb bottle (twice the price for 4x product is a deal, right?) I didn't realize how much 8lbs was so I still have 6-7lbs left after over 2 yrs of using it and still have 500-600 pre-made tabs. On my 10g dirted tank, I put about 2-3 granules per sq. in. on the bottom before the potting mix to give it a bit more longevity.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I've never used Flourite (any flavor). I would think it's a waste to use as a cap but if you already have it and want to use it, I don't see why not.

Is this a new tank or your 29g?

I was using Seachem root tabs before I started using DIY osmocote root tabs. I bought a 1000pk of #00 gel caps and the 8lb bag because it was only 2x the price of a 2lb bottle (twice the price for 4x product is a deal, right?) I didn't realize how much 8lbs was so I still have 6-7lbs left after over 2 yrs of using it and still have 500-600 pre-made tabs. On my 10g dirted tank, I put about 2-3 granules per sq. in. on the bottom before the potting mix to give it a bit more longevity.
This is for my 5g. I think I'll experiment with this...

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JavaMossMan
  • Question
Replies
Views
GusMcGrath202020
  • Question
Replies
Views