Fluorite and Sand

Narnia4FishLife

Active Member
Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
27
Location
Narnia, JK (Actually Texas)
Experience
Just started
First and foremost, hello people of Fishlore!
I'm very close to completing my turtle tank(I know this is a fish forum, bare with me).
All I need is the substrate. I chose Fluorite dark and Imagitarium(Petco brand) sand.
I have a 29-gallon and only need 1 1/2 to 2 inches of the combined substrate.
The reason I chose Fluorites is that I want to grow rooted plants in the water.
Anyways I have the Flourite, I'm going to wash it and I think I'm going to have 0.5 inches of Fluorite underneath the about 1 1/2 inch of sand? I'm set on the Imagitarium sand because it's heavier than most sand so ease of siphon will be pretty easy(I think).
Is that enough fluorite for my aquarium? I can't have a thick layer of the substrate because I think that turtles don't really like it I think. And a thick layer of sand creates that poisonous gas that might kill fish.

I don't really like that red color of the Fluorite I got, will the Imagitarium sand cover it? Will the Fluorite ever come up over the sand by itself? I'm scared the Turtle will try and eat the Fluorite and not pass it.
Will 2, 5 lbs bags be sufficient for about 1/2 inch of sand for the 29 gallons?

Anyways thank you for answering!
 

Coradee

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
18,068
Reaction score
5,520
Location
England
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today
 

Planted125

New Member
Member
Messages
48
Reaction score
58
Location
Alberta, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
Narnia4FishLife said:
First and foremost, hello people of Fishlore!
I'm very close to completing my turtle tank(I know this is a fish forum, bare with me).
All I need is the substrate. I chose Fluorite dark and Imagitarium(Petco brand) sand.
I have a 29-gallon and only need 1 1/2 to 2 inches of the combined substrate.
The reason I chose Fluorites is that I want to grow rooted plants in the water.
Anyways I have the Flourite, I'm going to wash it and I think I'm going to have 0.5 inches of Fluorite underneath the about 1 1/2 inch of sand? I'm set on the Imagitarium sand because it's heavier than most sand so ease of siphon will be pretty easy(I think).
Is that enough fluorite for my aquarium? I can't have a thick layer of the substrate because I think that turtles don't really like it I think. And a thick layer of sand creates that poisonous gas that might kill fish.

I don't really like that red color of the Fluorite I got, will the Imagitarium sand cover it? Will the Fluorite ever come up over the sand by itself? I'm scared the Turtle will try and eat the Fluorite and not pass it.
Will 2, 5 lbs bags be sufficient for about 1/2 inch of sand for the 29 gallons?

Anyways thank you for answering!
Hi, I do not know much about turtles, but I have tried mixing regular Flourite with sand. The sand is going to sieve through the Flourite so you won’t have your desired depth. You will most likely need more sand if you want a desired height. As far as mixing it should not be an issue unless you deep clean. Deep cleaning will bring it up. There is sand in the Flourite line that is black. I run almost all sand, but I keep trumpet snails with my fish tank and they pretty much mix the sand constantly. But not everybody likes seeing a carpet of snails:) Do turtles eat soil normally?
 

Candace

Active Member
Member
Messages
433
Reaction score
299
Location
Maryland
Experience
1 year
I just wanted to say here, the imagitarium sand is not heavier. That’s the first type of “sand” I got as well but it’s more of a really tiny gravel and it floats like crazy. Little bubbles form when cleaning and putting it in the tank, causing clumps of sand to float on the surface (lost quite a bit that way trying to clean it) after using regular sand I have to say it was actually much heavier and easier to clean. This goes for either of them - as long as you clean it really good there shouldn’t be a dust problem to cloud up the water more than it can handle.

Edit: I have a sand top over my flourite dark as well and the gravel has only come through in a couple of places where I laid it down thinner than the rest. I havent had too much issue with it falling through the gravel. That being said I only have snails and juvenile corys in there right now, the sand and gravel might mix more with a turtle going back and forth on it. (What I suggest is getting extra sand and mixing it with the flourite first and then adding the sand top. Less sand should fall that way and the plants will still get the nutrients)

image.jpg
image.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
N

Narnia4FishLife

Active Member
Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
27
Location
Narnia, JK (Actually Texas)
Experience
Just started
Planted125 said:
Hi, I do not know much about turtles, but I have tried mixing regular Flourite with sand. The sand is going to sieve through the Flourite so you won’t have your desired depth. You will most likely need more sand if you want a desired height. As far as mixing it should not be an issue unless you deep clean. Deep cleaning will bring it up. There is sand in the Flourite line that is black. I run almost all sand, but I keep trumpet snails with my fish tank and they pretty much mix the sand constantly. But not everybody likes seeing a carpet of snails:) Do turtles eat soil normally?
Lol no they don't. Unless the soil is pretty big. All I don't want is for the fluorite to come up over the sand. Do you think 25 pounds could make a 1-inch layer of sand? I'm using Petco brand black sand btw

Candace said:
I just wanted to say here, the imagitarium sand is not heavier. That’s the first type of “sand” I got as well but it’s more of a really tiny gravel and it floats like crazy. Little bubbles form when cleaning and putting it in the tank, causing clumps of sand to float on the surface (lost quite a bit that way trying to clean it) after using regular sand I have to say it was actually much heavier and easier to clean. This goes for either of them - as long as you clean it really good there shouldn’t be a dust problem to cloud up the water more than it can handle.

Edit: I have a sand top over my flourite dark as well and the gravel has only come through in a couple of places where I laid it down thinner than the rest. I haven't had too much issue with it falling through the gravel. That being said I only have snails and juvenile corys in there right now, the sand and gravel might mix more with a turtle going back and forth on it. (What I suggest is getting extra sand and mixing it with the flourite first and then adding the sand top. Less sand should fall that way and the plants will still get the nutrients)

image.jpg
image.jpg
Hmmm. Maybe Flourite, some cheap sand and then Petco brand black sand? What brand of black sand do you recommend? I chose Petco brand sand because it was cheap and I thought it was heavier. Black diamond blasting is apparently sharp and I like heavier sand so my siphon won't suck it all up.
 

Planted125

New Member
Member
Messages
48
Reaction score
58
Location
Alberta, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
Narnia4FishLife said:
Lol no they don't. Unless the soil is pretty big. All I don't want is for the fluorite to come up over the sand. Do you think 25 pounds could make a 1-inch layer of sand? I'm using Petco brand black sand btw
No experience with the Petco sand myself, so I don’t know how it will fill the tank. But regular Flourite is coarse so the sand with its tiny granulates is definitely going to filter between the Flourite and cover over it. I have a tank with dark Flourite covered with Flourite sand and just pulling large echinodorus plants out brings up the Flourite, so for me it did not work well. I got advice from this site on the black diamond sand and it seems like good stuff. Good working with plants and I will be using it with catfish that are always in the bottom mixing around the substrate. I am in the process of putting in almost 500 lbs as its super cheap compared to the aquarium stuff. There is a lot of info on this site on the blasting sand and it mostly seems positive
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,252
Reaction score
6,490
Location
Long Island
Experience
More than 10 years
I used the Flourite red with eco-compleat and my water was red for weeks. Every plant I planted brought up red dust. 2 yrs later I’m still seeing that red dust. Also no value for plants.
0253C208-E3A5-4137-AB69-15805AB045C8.jpeg
 

Candace

Active Member
Member
Messages
433
Reaction score
299
Location
Maryland
Experience
1 year
Narnia4FishLife said:
Hmmm. Maybe Flourite, some cheap sand and then Petco brand black sand? What brand of black sand do you recommend? I chose Petco brand sand because it was cheap and I thought it was heavier. Black diamond blasting is apparently sharp and I like heavier sand so my siphon won't suck it all up.
Ive never had black sand personally. I know imagitarium has black sand, there’s also flourite black sand (it’s pricey), and then the blast sand. I’ve heard other people keep corys with the black diamond blasting sand so it shouldn’t be too sharp but I don’t know for sure.
 

Planted125

New Member
Member
Messages
48
Reaction score
58
Location
Alberta, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
This is regular Flourite, some type of laterite and the Flourite black sand after regular planting and replanting. My mix was maybe 10-15% reg Flourite to Flourite sand. My new setup will be 100% blasting sand as I don’t like the mixed look myself
 

Attachments

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
277
Guests online
3,076
Total visitors
3,353

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom